FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chapter issue in CS4 burning Blu-Ray Disc

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bandy
Chapter issue in CS4 burning Blu-Ray Disc
on Aug 14, 2009 at 8:04:20 pm

I just attempted to burn my first blu-ray in Encore CS4. I am using 4 H.264 files in my project. The disc is set to autoplay with no menus and the first asset is a opening screen with the title of the disc. After creating a disc image and burning from the image I popped the disc in 2 different computers with blu-ray players and had the same issue.
after the intro screen fades out the disc just plays black for ever until I click next chapter. At that point the video starts playing fine. I also noticed that another chapter point was added to my timeline that I did not put in the project. I checked my timeline in encore and even the preview and things played back great so I'm stuck here.

This is a long timeline at about 1hr and 10min in length. I don't know why this would matter but thought I would get more specific.
I'm trying one more image and burn. If that doesn't work I'm going back to CS3 on my other editing machine.

Any ideas I need at least 2 of 3 discs done today and I'm still stuck on the first one. With encoding and authoring time you know how long this can take, Please Help!!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Chapter issue in CS4 burning Blu-Ray Disc
on Aug 14, 2009 at 8:14:23 pm

The added chapter is so that if the audience presses the Next button on the remote, it will go to the (invisible) last chapter at the end of the timeline, which will then allow the timeline end action to execute. There is no way to eliminate the creation of this invisible chapter point.

So that begs the question: how have you set up your chapter and/or timeline end actions? Do you have any overrides set?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 14, 2009 at 8:30:51 pm

no Overrides and the end action of the timeline is set to stop. The added chapter point is near the beginning of the video. A chapter point was added in between my second and third chapter. It's not on the timeline when I checked back so I don't know where it came from.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 14, 2009 at 10:54:20 pm

[Joe Bandy] "no Overrides and the end action of the timeline is set to stop"

Why?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 14, 2009 at 11:32:32 pm

I did not use an overrides because the project only has one timeline and no menu. The purpose of the disc is that our vice president can go out and show these discs to people live. They are set to autoplay once you put them in and they play through from beginning to end. There are chapters so he can still skip through if he needs too. The end action is set to stop so when it ends the disc stops and does not start over. This gives him a opportunity to just start talking to the group without having to press stop or stops the disc automatically so he can change discs. I agree it's not that exciting but for this application it works.

Would adding overrides help? I don't know I haven't tried it.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 14, 2009 at 11:45:50 pm

I wasn't referring to the overrides - you probably won't ever need those.

[Joe Bandy] "The disc is set to autoplay with no menus and the first asset is a opening screen with the title of the disc"

[Joe Bandy] "The end action is set to stop so when it ends the disc stops and does not start over."

So are there 2 timelines, or just one? If only one, then what did you mean by your first statement?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 15, 2009 at 12:09:38 am

Ok, there is only 1 timeline in the whole project and a total of 6 assets. They appear in this order on the timeline.

1.Introduction 11sec.
2.Part 1 of 2 of the video
3.Part 1 of 2 of the video's audio
4.Part 2 of 2 of the video
5.Part 2 of 2 of the video's audio
6.End Credits
and that's it.

the only reason there are 2 parts and they are right up next to each other is because this was originally edited for DVD and because of file size restrictions. With a Bluray we can fit the 2 discs on one and cut costs.

The first asset is an opening introduction but it is not on a timeline by itself in fact nothing is. I was having a problem where the BD disc would just play a black screen right after the Introduction forever without ever getting to asset 2. without me manually skipping to it.

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 14, 2009 at 11:58:37 pm

Ok I tried authoring the Blu-Ray again in CS3 instead of CS4 and the video goes from the intro to the main video without any problems. I still have the added Chapter stop at the exact same spot in the video where I did not put one on my encore timeline. I am using the same assets but I have no idea how this would happen. I'm going to check my premiere project to see if I can come up with anything.

here are my settings:
Source footage
M2t 720p, 59.94, audio 48khz 16bit.
using CS3 to edit and Adobe Media encoder to export to:
H.264 Blu-Ray, 1280x720, Progressive, 59.94fps, CBR 25mbs, audio 48khz 16bit

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 15, 2009 at 1:24:08 am

Try putting each asset in its own timeline. If there are fades between them like between the intro and Part 1, then the audience will never see the slight pause as the laser seeks from one timeline to the next when the timelines are played back in sequence.

Encore adds chapter markers where 2 assets join together in a timeline. Multiple assets that have AC3 audio can cause issues when placed in single timeline if the audio isn't set up and encoded just right. Separate timelines would eliminate potential issues surrounding adding multiple assets to a single timeline.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 15, 2009 at 1:36:14 am

Thanks, I'll give it a try next week.

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 16, 2009 at 6:15:54 pm

So I tried putting each of my assets in different timelines in Encore CS3 and that seemed to get rid of the added chapter that Encore was putting in each of my discs at exactly 33 sec.

I building 2 different discs using the same assets in Encore CS3 and CS4 and both added a chapter at exactly 33sec into the video. I checked my encore timeline and my premiere pro timeline and had no chapter markers at that specific point.

I tried burning another blu-ray using different assets this time and I got the same added chapter at 33sec again!?
This is when I had all my assets on one timeline.
After separating them onto different timelines I did not get the added chapter point at the 33sec. mark. Does anyone know why this happens?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 16, 2009 at 6:22:41 pm

Joe,

Out of curiosity, when you added the assets to a single timeline, did Encore show you any messages as you dropped the assets on the timeline?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 17, 2009 at 5:10:53 am

No, encore did not give me any messages as I put my assets on the timeline.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 17, 2009 at 12:13:21 pm

The added chapter point doesn't make any sense to me.

Can you post a screenshot that shows the added chapter point at the 33 second mark?

And for my own orientation, the chapter point at 33 secs. is actually 22 secs. into Part 1 of the video, right?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 17, 2009 at 7:02:43 pm

That is correct, it was 33 sec because the intro screen was in front of the video and is 11 sec long. Do you mean a screen shot of the video itself or of the encore timeline?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 17, 2009 at 10:19:16 pm

A screenshot of the timeline.

Here's a thought - in your Premiere timeline do you have a regular sequence marker (not an Encore chapter marker) at the 33 second point? If you have text in the Name field of the sequence marker, then Encore can pick it up as a chapter point.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 18, 2009 at 4:42:55 pm

I checked and I have no sequence marker in Premiere at that time. Putting assets on separate timelines helped with the extra chapter that was being added by encore but now I having a different problem. You can skip forward and backward through chapters that are on the same timeline but I can't skip backward to a timeline that came before the one I'm on.

So I have 4 timelines
I put chapter markers at the end of each timeline so that people could skip forward to the next timeline if they wanted to. If there was no chapter marker at the end of the timeline then the timeline would have to be played to completion before going to the next. You would not be able to skip forward at all. The problem I'm having is that you cannot go backward to the timeline that came before.

So if I have a chapter at the end viewers are able to skip forward to the next timeline but they can't skip back. If they could they would just hit the last chapter marker in the previous timeline.

How do you make it so viewers can go forward and backward through multiple timelines easily? Is this where I might need to put in some overrides!? Help!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 18, 2009 at 6:02:36 pm

First, take out the chapter point you added at the end of the timelines. En CS3 and CS4 put an invisible chapter marker there for you automatically to handle just such a situation.

You can't skip backwards between timelines unless the player supports it. And I'm not sure if you can do it even then.

Unless the residents of Area 51 are controlling Encore on your machine, somewhere along the line during the construction of this project, either in Pr or En, a chapter point was added at the 33-second mark. Why it's still there, I don't know. Maybe it would help troubleshoot why it's there if you tried a new test:
  • Create a new test project in Pr and one in En.
  • Import just the problem Pr sequence into the new Pr project.
  • Re-verify that there aren't any markers where they're not supposed to be.
  • Set the work area bar to encompass the 33-second point with a minute or so on either side of it.
  • Export as uncompressed (or Lagarith, if you have it) .avi.
  • Import the new .avi file into the new Encore project.
  • Add the .avi to a timeline and build the project to an RW disc.
  • Play back the disc.

Is the chapter marker at 33 seconds gone?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 18, 2009 at 6:33:34 pm

How do you make an invisible chapter marker? It sounds like that would enable people to still move skip forward but even with it you most likely will not be able to go back to a previous timeline.

Am I correct? That's a bummer.
I don't know if I have time to run this test today I might have to just get this project out on separate timelines and work on that later.
Is there any reason we would use and AVI instead of H.264 for Blu-ray?
We don't have any BD-RW discs either. We only have BD-Rs does that matter for this test.

I see encore puts invisible chapters at the end of every timeline but when I made a disc and tried to skip from one timeline to the beginning of the next it would not let me do it unless I put a visible chapter marker at the end as an end action. Is there any way to add invisible chapter points.

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 18, 2009 at 7:28:28 pm

Also does Encore label the timelines as Titles in the order you create them? My first play timeline says it's title 4 instead of title 1. Is there anyway to renumber them or do I have to reauthor the whole thing? I can't seem to find any information on this in the manual or online help?

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 18, 2009 at 8:13:38 pm

Do I need to select end actions for the last chapter stops in a timeline to go to the next timeline instead? I have already selected the end action of all timelines to go to the appropriate next timeline.

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 19, 2009 at 1:39:03 am

I tried the test using and used a h.254 instead of a AVI file and the Ch stop at 33 sec was not there. Does this mean I have to recreate my assets?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 20, 2009 at 4:08:08 pm

Wow, Joe. That's a lot of questions. I need to bring the discussion back around to the thread topic or it'll get really confusing for anyone else reading this thread.

Your other questions are good ones; they deserve their own threads.

[Jeff Bellune] "somewhere along the line during the construction of this project, either in Pr or En, a chapter point was added at the 33-second mark. Why it's still there, I don't know. Maybe it would help troubleshoot why it's there if you tried a new test:

* Create a new test project in Pr and one in En.
* Import just the problem Pr sequence into the new Pr project.
* Re-verify that there aren't any markers where they're not supposed to be.
* Set the work area bar to encompass the 33-second point with a minute or so on either side of it.
* Export as uncompressed (or Lagarith, if you have it) .avi.
* Import the new .avi file into the new Encore project.
* Add the .avi to a timeline and build the project to an RW disc.
* Play back the disc.

Is the chapter marker at 33 seconds gone? "

Your first question concerning this test was this:

[Joe Bandy] "Is there any reason we would use and AVI instead of H.264 for Blu-ray? "

The AVI file is an intermediate file that will be transcoded by Encore. That's why I suggested you test with only a small portion of the whole Pr timeline. Transcoding in a fresh, new Encore project should eliminate any possible "ghosts" of the leftover chapter point that existed in the Dynamically-Linked sequence or in the previously transcoded Encore files.

[Joe Bandy] "We don't have any BD-RW discs either. We only have BD-Rs does that matter for this test."

I should have said a "BD-RE" disc, because those are re-writable. A BD-R will be just fine. I didn't want you to waste one on a test if a BD-RE was available.

[Joe Bandy] "I tried the test and used a h.264 instead of a AVI file and the Ch stop at 33 sec was not there. Does this mean I have to recreate my assets?"

That's good news! You skipped the intermediate file but still got the desired results. Make sure your test file imports into En and shows up as "Do Not Transcode" in the Blu-ray Transcode Status column. If that's how it imports, then you should transcode your assets in Pr to H.264 before importing them into Encore.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]