FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to create Widescreen SD DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bandy
Trying to create Widescreen SD DVD
on Jul 29, 2009 at 4:27:06 pm

I'm trying to create a Widescreen DVD in Encore CS3 with no letterboxing. I use the CS4 Media encoder to export video at 720x480 Progressive widescreen pixel aspect ratio, Quality high, CBR at 8
I then created a SD DVD project in Encore and noticed that all the clips looked stretched to me. I tried playing them in Power DVD and they look normal or not stretched.
I then tried to create a image and a disc in encore and recieved an error Internal software error at 00:00:00:00 %0, line Intro Part 1 of 2 - PGC info: name = Intro Part 1 of, ref = BPGC, time 00:00:00:00.

I looked at my project settings and I don't see anything that I would change to make the project SD widescreen. I thought you could do this in this program What am I doing wrong?

Please Help, I have to be able to do this today!

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
Re: Trying to create Widescreen SD DVD
on Jul 29, 2009 at 6:49:10 pm

I also noticed that Encore is having trouble exporting 2 clips that I created in CS4. The I exported them the exact same way but the clips that encore is having problems with have a pixel aspect ratio of square 1.0. The other clips have a pixel aspect ratio of 1.2 (widescreen) When I remove the 2 clips with ratios of 1.0 I was able to successfully build a image.
If I put them back on the timeline and conform them to 1.2 I cannot build a image.

I'm guessing that somthing is wrong with my export from CS4. But I used the exact same settings. If I'm using PSDs on my timeline and other titles do I need to check their ratios as well?

I tried authoring the same clips in both Encore CS3 and Encore CS4 and recieved the same error.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jul 29, 2009 at 7:14:40 pm

So it sounds like you are trying to combine multiple clips with different PARs into a single timeline. If so, I would recommend trying to export them all as a single file out of your NLE, then import that clip into an Encore timeline.

You can force Encore to use a specific pixel aspect ratio of the video by right clicking on the asset, then going to interpret footage.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:57:12 pm

Ok so I tried conforming the 2 files in Encore that had aspect ratios of square 1.0 to 1.2 and it didn't work. 2 of the 4 clips I'm using in Encore came from one project and the second 2 came from another so I cannot export them as a single clip. What's worse is that one project is in CS3 and the other is CS4.

What should I try next?

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:24:37 pm

Are you using Premiere to export these? Can the CS3 project be imported into the CS4 project?

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:42:41 pm

Yes I'm exporting the clips using premiere. They are on completely different systems so I cannot import the CS3 project into the CS4 project easily.
I have 4 clips total.

1 intro square pixel aspect
2 Main Video with audio aspect 1.2
3 continues on disc 2 screen
4 credits

I tried a couple of tests but am a little confused on what is causing my problems.

I was unable to build an image with the intro alone on the timeline at 00:00:00:00 but was able to build it with the intro alone at 00:00:0012.

I put on the main video right after the intro and was able to build an image.

I put on the audio and synced it with the video and was unable to make an image.

I moved the audio of the main video only to the very front of the project at 00:00:00:00 and was able to make an image.

I think there might be an issue with the audio but was able to make an image where the audio was not synced with the video which does not help me.

Any more ideas?

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:54:28 pm

You need to get those into the same Premiere project so you can export as a single m2v file. You might have to export as an uncompressed file or using a lossless codec, then bring that into your CS4 project.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Jul 30, 2009 at 3:42:35 pm

It seems that the problem was the video with the pixel aspect ratio of 1.2 I transcoded it to 1.0 and the image and disc burn worked. This leaves me with a regular 4:3 image no letter boxing though and is not full screen.

The only option available in Encore CS3 and CS4 is DVD 720x480.

Question:
Is the only way to display widescreen in Encore on a SD DVD at 720x480 to Letterbox it? Please respond, once I have this confirmed I can stop trying to make it work!
Is this correct?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jul 30, 2009 at 4:12:18 pm

[Joe Bandy] "It seems that the problem was the video with the pixel aspect ratio of 1.2 I transcoded it to 1.0 and the image and disc burn worked."

But in an earlier post you said:

[Joe Bandy] "the clips that encore is having problems with have a pixel aspect ratio of square 1.0. The other clips have a pixel aspect ratio of 1.2 (widescreen) When I remove the 2 clips with ratios of 1.0 I was able to successfully build a image.

You seem to be going in circles here.

If Jon was correct, and you are trying to put clips with different aspect ratios into a single timeline, then the simplest solution is to put each of the clips in their own timeline. Depending on the play order that you want, you might also try putting the 1.0 clips into one timeline, and the 1.2 clips into another timeline.

A deeper, and probably more significant issue, is what you used as source video in Pr (i.e. was it camera footage, downloaded footage, graphics, images?). How and why you chose the export settings will probably play a big part as well.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Aug 6, 2009 at 6:11:30 am

We have decided to stick with the letter boxing of our HD content for DVD viewing because the widescreen DVD was more problematic.
Our source footage is 720p 59.94fps m2t files. 1.0 square pixel aspect ratio.

Return to posts index

Adam Henderson
on Aug 20, 2009 at 12:14:53 am

Hi.

Did you get this sorted? Is the video stretched horizontally or vertically?

Have you tried Right-Clicking on video asset (not the timeline), choosing 'Interpret Footage' and then setting it to the desired aspect ratio in the drop down?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]