FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export chapters from Encore? (Related to infamous "untranscoded" flaw)

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Brown
Export chapters from Encore? (Related to infamous "untranscoded" flaw)
on Jul 21, 2009 at 1:52:00 am

I had Encore transcode my two-hour video at one point. Loading the same project back up later, it doesn't think it's been transcoded. The transcoded file is definitely still there. I can even import it into a new project and it will believe it does not need to be transcoded.

Well, anyway, I am familiar with the fact that Encore handles its own transcoded files very badly. I'm not trying to fix a flaw the program has had forever. I just want a solution.

Replacing the AVI with the transcoded file doesn't work. It replaces, certainly, but the status of the replacement file stays the same as the status of the original file ("untranscoded"). This is in spite of the fact that if I import the transcoded file without using it as a replacement, Encore correctly recognizes that it doesn't need to be transcoded.

About the only thing I can visualize doing is saving my menus (done), exporting my chapter information, and starting the whole project over, this time making exclusive use of the already-transcoded file. Trouble here is that if Encore has the capability of exporting chapters, it's hidden well.

I can't say I relish the thought of manually creating a timecode list of 50+ chapters and then referencing that list to manually recreate them one by one. That's a half hour I'd rather save, if Encore obligingly makes it a little simpler with a very basic function.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Export chapters from Encore? (Related to infamous "untranscoded" flaw)
on Jul 21, 2009 at 4:25:59 am

Chapter markers are associated with the asset.

If you create your chapter markers in Premiere, they will be retained in Encore. Try using dynamic link (a Premiere sequence), or AVI/MOV.

Return to posts index

Marc Brown
on Jul 21, 2009 at 4:38:27 am

Bleh. So I gather Encore simply cannot export chapter information.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jul 21, 2009 at 7:08:33 am

No, Encore doesn't offer that feature.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jul 21, 2009 at 5:43:43 pm

[Marc Brown] "Well, anyway, I am familiar with the fact that Encore handles its own transcoded files very badly. I'm not trying to fix a flaw the program has had forever. I just want a solution. "

I'm unaware of this problem...could you describe exactly what is happening?

Return to posts index

Marc Brown
on Jul 21, 2009 at 9:33:07 pm

For the record, I already "solved" this one by manually recreating the entire chapter list with Notepad. Though I will also point out that I've had to type that list back into Encore three separate times because of crashes or, once again, Encore's refusal to play nice with already-transcoded media.

To answer your question, well, just google "Encore" and "untranscoded". I'm not alone. Encore has continuing difficulty correctly identifying valid media as valid - even if it's something Encore itself transcoded. In my case, this has manifested in a couple of ways. First case: Encore forgot that I had already told it to transcode a particular file which took 24 hours to complete. Second case: Encore failed to recognize a replacement file as having already been transcoded (my guess is that it was defaulting to the transcode status of the file which got replaced).

I also encountered the bug during the building of the Blu-ray disc where it will stop building if the audio is a tiny bit longer than the video (which is, itself, a miscalculation on Encore's part). The fix for this is a kludge, but I will take it.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jul 21, 2009 at 9:46:58 pm

Do you mean you saw Encore re-transcode an already transcoded file? That can happen if the file is not format legal (DVD or Blu-ray), but I've never seen it happen in Encore-transcoded files.

Note that if you are relying on the Transcode Status header in the Project panel to determine whether it's transcoded, understand that there are two of them: one for DVD, and the other for Blu-ray. It is possible for an asset to be legally transcoded for one format, and not the other due to the differences between high definition and standard definition video and supported frame rates, so what is transcoded and legal for Blu-ray may not be for DVD, and vice-versa.

Return to posts index

Marc Brown
on Jul 21, 2009 at 10:12:33 pm

Encore definitely tried to re-encode the already-transcoded file it had created earlier. I watched it work at it for a few minutes. I also averted a potential catastrophe by making a backup of the ~19GB video before I let Encore touch it. This proved to be a good idea, as Encore completely eliminated the original.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jul 21, 2009 at 10:36:54 pm

Wow, that sounds like a serious problem.

Most users do not have this problem, though. Have you contacted Adobe Tech Support about it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]