FORUMS: list search recent posts

(Bluray) "Transcode now" - Will it use my chapter points?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Brown
(Bluray) "Transcode now" - Will it use my chapter points?
on Jul 17, 2009 at 1:32:57 am

I've gotten my feet wet with Bluray development once before, but it was a rush job and I had to make a lot of compromises. One thing I'm struggling with now is chapters.

What I'd specifically like to know is this: If I give Encore my chapter points, and then tell it to "transcode" my (raw) two-hour AVI to H.264 "now", will it make use of those chapter points to generate keyframes?

Maybe this question is moot. Maybe Bluray is able to go to chapters at whatever frame a developer desires, regardless of the presence of a keyframe. But.. I doubt it, and it would be a cleaner process to pinpoint keyframes, anyway.

This is an important question, because I'd like to start encoding right away. I estimate it will take two to three full days. I can use that time to figure out a game plan for building the Bluray disc, as well as finalizing my two audio tracks. Otherwise, I will have to finalize everything before I encode, and that will waste precious time I just can't spare right now.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: (Bluray) "Transcode now" - Will it use my chapter points?
on Jul 17, 2009 at 4:52:58 pm

If your asset is already encoded, Encore won't let you place a chapter point where there's not an I-frame (it will go to the nearest I-frame). If it's not yet encode, it will transcode it so there's an I-frame at your chapter point.

So yes, your chapter point will be where it's set.

Return to posts index

Marc Brown
on Jul 17, 2009 at 8:39:27 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I just want to be 100% clear on this. My asset is raw, and I know Encore will add keyframes at chapter points when it compiles the entire disc build. But that's a different process from when you right-click an asset and pick "transcode now". The thing that worries me is that the raw video asset is separate from the timeline asset, and it's only the timeline which contains the chapter points. And it's probably possible in Encore to use the same video asset in more than one timeline, which would mean it would be possible to have two+ different sets of chapter points associated with the same video, prior to transcoding.

It's confusing. Lots of things about Adobe products are counterintuitive and demand nothing less than rote memorization of a given app's quirks.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jul 17, 2009 at 9:08:10 pm

[Marc Brown] My asset is raw, and I know Encore will add keyframes at chapter points when it compiles the entire disc build. But that's a different process from when you right-click an asset and pick "transcode now".

The only difference between the two is the timing of when the transcode is performed. If you use Transcode Now well before building, nothing will change with this particular asset at build time.

[Marc Brown] "The thing that worries me is that the raw video asset is separate from the timeline asset, and it's only the timeline which contains the chapter points. And it's probably possible in Encore to use the same video asset in more than one timeline, which would mean it would be possible to have two+ different sets of chapter points associated with the same video, prior to transcoding. "

Your raw video asset is unchanged in all of this. Encore uses the transcoded version of the asset created from the raw asset in the timeline when you build to Blu-ray or DVD.

It is possible to use the same asset in another timeline, but then it would be written to disc twice. If you used the same raw asset in different timelines with different chapter points, it would also be transcoded twice if the chapters didn't fall in the same places or off the usual GOP timing (usually one per half-second).

Instead of using assets multiple times, in Encore you use multiple containers to display the asset, such as one timeline, and one or more chapter playlists, or multiple playlists. This is a more efficient workflow in Encore, and is a far more efficient use of disc space.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jul 17, 2009 at 9:26:07 pm

What version of Encore? In CS4, the *only* time markers come over from Premiere is via Dynamic Link. IOW, when you use the "Send to Encore" command from Pr or the "Import Premiere Pro Sequence" command from Encore.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]