FORUMS: list search recent posts

Assigning subtitle tracks from menu buttons

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chet Wesley
Assigning subtitle tracks from menu buttons
on Jul 15, 2009 at 5:27:04 am

I searched and I found amazingly little previous discussion on assigning subtitles in Encore...

Anyway, I have my subtitle tracks all set in my timeline (six languages), and I want to be able to select, from buttons in a menu, the subtitle track that will play when the video is played.

I don't see anywhere that will allow you to assign a subtitle track to a menu button.

What am I missing here?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Assigning subtitle tracks from menu buttons
on Jul 15, 2009 at 12:23:09 pm

In the Properties panel, open the Link drop-down list and choose the Specify Link... option. You can set audio and subtitle tracks from there.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Brecht Wouters
on Jul 17, 2009 at 1:48:53 pm

Sure, it works. But what about if you want to set things up through a menu, and thén go to a main menu and press play? I've tried the specify link, but it doesn't seem to work on every station.

I select with every button 'link back to here', then open the specify link and select the option it has to change.

How can it work on a standalone (only the subs, the audio won't change if I select it, even though it is linked correctly) but not on a PS3 AND the preview AND Media player? That even won't take the change in subs..

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jul 17, 2009 at 4:55:28 pm

Specify Link works correctly.

I'm afraid I don't understand your question. Can you rephrase it?

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Jul 17, 2009 at 5:24:51 pm

I tried this and it works for setting the subtitle and playing ONE timeline... the way I have it set up, when you select the language button in the menu, it plays the timeline (via the normal link of the button) with the subtitle track selected (via "specify link"). This works for now as I am just testing out the subtitles on one timeline, but ultimately, I have a DVD with several separate video timelines, each with their own set of subtitle tracks.

I think if I understand correctly, the last question is whether you can select the subtitle language, but then have the DVD stay in the menu, rather than go directly to playing the DVD with the subtitle track you have just selected... And also if there is a way to have it set the language universally across ALL timelines in the project.

My guess is that you set the button to go to the main menu (or to the subtitle menu you are in), but specify link as setting the subtitle track you want. That way, you don't play the movie right from the subtitle menu, but rather, the subtitle track is selected and saved in the background and will play when the video is played from the play button in the menu.

Would that work, and would it set the selected subtitle track for all playlists (assuming they were all set up in the same order of tracks/languages on each playlist)?

From what I had read, the DVD player keeps the subtitle track saved, but what I wonder is how it keeps it saved for ALL timelines even though when you specify the link, you can specify it only for the subtitle track in ONE timeline.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jul 17, 2009 at 9:13:44 pm

The DVD player keeps the active subtitle track and audio track in memory when you switch them.

If you go to another timeline, as long as it has the same number of subtitle and/or audio tracks, those settings will remain, unless the link to the timeline changes them.

Conversely, if the other timeline does not have the same number of subtitle and/or audio tracks then this information will be discarded.

Return to posts index

Brecht Wouters
on Jul 18, 2009 at 11:50:12 am

The specific flowchart is the following:

1. I enter a set up menu from the main menu.
2. A timeline with the animation from main to set-up plays. The end action is going to the set up menu.
3. Every button on the set up menu had a 'linked back to here', with a 'specify link' to change the correct subtitles or audiotrack.
4. I click on the 'Main Menu' button.
5. A timeline plays to animate the set up menu out.
6. I click play on the Main Menu
7. A timeline plays to animate the main menu out.
8. The timeline with the movie plays from chapter one, but no changes are visible or audible.

Are you suggesting that, when I give every timeline containing the animations and extras the same amount of audio tracks and subtitle tracks, even if they are empty, that should solve the problem?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jul 18, 2009 at 11:59:50 pm

[Brecht Wouters] "Are you suggesting that, when I give every timeline containing the animations and extras the same amount of audio tracks and subtitle tracks, even if they are empty, that should solve the problem? "

Yes, as long as you don't change the active audio or subtitle track in your remote control. The DVD player always remembers the active subtitle and audio track - unless it hits a timeline where one, the other, or both don't exist.

Return to posts index

Árni Óla
on Aug 30, 2012 at 9:13:20 am

I have problem with subtitles on and off buttons in Encore cs5. When i press them i want them to go to play movie button. Like it´s now they just stay at on or off. Anyone ?

All the best Arni

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]