PAL - NTSC conversion subtitle drama

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gordon Young
PAL - NTSC conversion subtitle drama
on Jul 13, 2009 at 9:27:57 am

Hi Folks,

I need some help with this one.

I have put together a 2 hour 20 minute film in PAL and bought procoder 3 (as most forums reccommend it) to convert to NTSC.

The DVD has subtitles in 6 languages all timecoded to PAL.

When the NTSC file comes out of Procoder it looked great. There was an issue with the audio/video sync but I removed an audio frame here and there and sync-ed the time line up again.

The main problem came with putting the new NTSC timeline with the subtitle tracks as they progressively go out of sync with the feature - by a few seconds towards the end.

I just talked to a dubbing house and someone told me that its impossible to create an NTSC file that is the same length as the Pal version. Her conclusion was that all the subtitles tracks need to be retimecoded for NTSC. Apparently this is a normal thing that they do.

My question is...does anyone know another way?

Were passed deadline already and It'll take about a week to redo the timecodes.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Best wishes,
Gordon

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: PAL - NTSC conversion subtitle drama
on Jul 13, 2009 at 2:49:05 pm

The problem here is PAL has 25 frames per second, and NTSC 29.97 fps. So, for example, that means frame 22 in PAL is not the same place in time as it is in NTSC.

If you want the subtitles to be in sync, you've got to recalculate them for NTSC. Try Lemony, which I believe can do this type of thing quickly.

Return to posts index

Gordon Young
Re: PAL - NTSC conversion subtitle drama
on Jul 13, 2009 at 3:59:19 pm

Hi Joe

Thanks for your response.

I presumed that procoder would convert the 25 frames per second into 30frames while still fitting it within the second. Looks like thats just not right.

I called a guy about Lemony and unfortunately its well outside out budget although it looked like a great product. Theres a chap here making new timecodes for the subtitles at the moment. So we lose a week but will be a bit wiser for next time.

Best wishes,
Gordon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]