FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-Ray on DVD media

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Dantzker
Blu-Ray on DVD media
on Jul 1, 2009 at 9:16:04 pm

I'm on a Mac, looking to put a short FCP movie on blu-ray for the first time. I do not yet have Encore, but have access to it if what I want to do will work. The movie is only ~10 min so I'm wondering if I can just burn a blu-ray formatted Encore project onto a DVD, if it fits?

• If so, can I be sure that the resulting disk will be to spec and thus play in all set-top blu-ray players? It is critical that, when I send this to my customer, that it be compatible with his system and I cannot test that upfront.

• Any media-type constraints? I'm thinking +R vs. -R, also DL? Not so much thinking about RW

• Any problem burning it on internal superdrive?

• So I can calculate if my movie will fit, what's the bit rate of Encore's H.264 encoder for 1920x1080 content? If it you can set it, what's good level for a one-pass?

• Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

John Rich
    Re: Blu-Ray on DVD media
    on Jul 2, 2009 at 12:29:55 pm

Marc,

Burning Hd to DVD has been done successfully, but I really don't see how you could "guarantee" it unless you just tried it on the guys machine.

Anyway, if you're interested you could check out these threads.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/145/862674

Check out post #11 in this thread.
    http://dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-software-showcase/124190-avchd-haali-splitt...

John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Marc Dantzker
    on Jul 2, 2009 at 3:18:25 pm

John,

That's very helpful. (Unfortunately I can't view your tutorials. I'm on a mac, and even with Flip for Mac, your wmvs don't have a picture. Is it possible that you are using an incompatible codec?) While the posts you point to answer a lot of questions, the posts themselves are a year old. Has there been any progress since? Would I still need to use your folder method or has something better come along?

I know that we can never be guaranteed that any one disc will play back in any one player but I'm interested in relative probabilities. In your previous tread, Heath Firestone says that this kind of disk (Blu-ray content on a DVD disk) is called BD-9 and that, as of a year ago, playback wasn't supported on the PS3. Do BD-9 disks require a later firmware than other recordable BD types? If so, does that make a BD-9 disk less likely to playback on an unknown machine? Assuming that I can just buy a BR burner, what is the disk format that is the most compatible with the most player and firmware versions?

Return to posts index

John Rich
    on Jul 2, 2009 at 5:41:48 pm

Mark,

I recorded these tutorials with Camtasia. This required a techsmith codec to play and I don't know for sure whether it can be used on a Mac. Here is their website.
    http://www.techsmith.com/download/codecs.asp

I don't think there is a real interest in this although, Sony Vegas did add, I believe, the ability to burn HD to regular DVD's.

In order to make the BluRay folder created in Encore play on the PlayStation 3, you have to edit the file as I demonstrated on my tutorial.

You can always get a bluray burner and burn a bluray disk which in my case would play on my PS3 or Bluray players (I used the local Best Buy to check this). The only problem, is the cost of the blank disks and whether your clients have bluray players.

This thread (I didn't realize a year had gone by), summarized my experience then especially the last post.
    http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29665

I really just use my HDV or AVCHD video to downsize to wide screen SD since my clients don't have bluray players.
    Let me know how it works out for you.

John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
    on Jul 2, 2009 at 4:05:37 pm

[Marc Dantzker] " If so, can I be sure that the resulting disk will be to spec and thus play in all set-top blu-ray players? It is critical that, when I send this to my customer, that it be compatible with his system and I cannot test that upfront."

Burning Blu-ray to DVD media is definitely NOT up to spec in any way, shape or form.

If you want player compatibility, burn to a Blu-ray disc from Encore. Even then, some BD players are not up to date on firmware and will not play back burned BDMV without an update.

If you want the widest compatibility, look at Blu-ray replication, such as authoring in Sony Blu-print or Sonic Scenarist, and then having the Blu-ray professionally replicated. Be prepared to spend quite a bit of cash.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]