FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is my TV too good for my source material ?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete Birrell
Is my TV too good for my source material ?
on Jun 16, 2009 at 10:32:05 am

I've been using Premier/Encore for years to make videos - quality has always been excellent. Currently using Premier/Encore CS3. Source files are all DV AVI from Sony DCP9 and stills are from Canon 450D (12mp).

I've recently upgraded from 26" glass TV to a Sony Bravia 40" LCD and the quality of my DVD's looks very poor. Artefacts and blocky compression abound.

I master all my work in Premier Pro then export via Adobe Media Encoder and import the resultant MV2 and WAV files into encore.

It occurs that rather than poor quality source or encoding I'm actually seeing the result of looking at 'standard' quality DVD on a screen designed to show full 1080p HD quality and that the artefacts are a result of this.

Anyone have an opinion or know where I can find more information ?

Many Thanks

Return to posts index

Tim Robinson
Re: Is my TV too good for my source material ?
on Jun 16, 2009 at 12:37:39 pm

Have you tried exporting your videos in progressive format? Most standard TV's and DVD players show progressive formatted DVDs without issue. But most high def flat screens (which are native progressive) show "interlaced" video like junk (since it's trying to convert it to progressive.. which more often than not ends up making it look blurry close up)

Also how close are you viewing the TV? Of course a higher quality TV will bring out more of the "detail" of a standard DVD. If your only a foot or two away, it will look blocky. 6-10 feet, it may look fine.

Tim Robinson

tim@erobinsons.com

Pride-Mobility-Products

Corporate Video Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]