FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uncommpressed file better?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Cast
Uncommpressed file better?
on Jun 14, 2009 at 4:21:29 pm

Hi,

If I were to export my movie from Premier Pro as an uncompressed .avi, would that help Encore output a higher resolution file? Or does it not matter?

Right now I export as Microsoft DV Avi, and then bring it into Encore as an asset.

I understand that Encore encodes it.

Does that mean using Dymanic Link to export to Encore exports AND transcodes at one after another, or does that save a step or improve resolution in any way.?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Uncommpressed file better?
on Jun 14, 2009 at 4:30:33 pm

Uncompressed source is always best, but not always possible since most consumer camcorders use some form of compression when capturing video.

That said, it's always better to reduce or eliminate re-compression before bringing an asset into Encore. There are several ways to do that:

1. Export an uncompressed AVI as you mentioned
2. Use Dynamic Link in CS4, which will not recompress video before encoding in Encore, again as you mentioned
3. Frame serve with third-party tools, which is similar to option 2 but more work to setup
4. Encode video to MPEG-2 for DVD from Premiere (Encore, Premiere, After Effects, and Adobe Media Encoder all use the same engine to encode MPEG-2 for DVD).

Return to posts index

Jerry Cast
on Jun 14, 2009 at 10:55:03 pm

Thanks Joe,

So, I'm using CS3, does that version also not recompress before encoding to Encore?

So, I "should" export from Premier as an uncommpressed and THEN bring it into Encore as an asset? This will be better than just exporting as a Microsoft DV AVI? Is there a noticable difference in the final video if you were to A/B it?

Frame serving I've never heard and will Google it.

You say to encode video to MPEG-2 from Premier, but does that mean it'll already be ready for Encore then? Sort of like using the Export to Encore? Is exporting uncommpressed to using this method better? Pro's con's?

Thanks a lot.

Jerry
http://www.jerrycastaldo.com

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 15, 2009 at 1:26:50 am

OK, so that leaves out using dynamic link from Premiere - you would need Encore CS4 for that.

You could export an uncompressed AVI, or you could use Export to Encore, which is very much like exporting to MPEG-2 except I believe you have less control over the MPEG-2 encoding. If you choose to export the video to MPEG-2 for DVD using one of Premiere's AME presets, you should be able to choose a preset of high quality - just make sure you don't multiplex the video and audio together. You want the end result to be an MPEG-2 stream (m2v) and an uncompressed WAV file, 16 bit, 48 kHz.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]