FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Menu help please!

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Muller
Motion Menu help please!
on Jun 10, 2009 at 10:16:19 pm

Hi. I've searched for related threads on my problem, but I can't seem to find the answer that I need. I guess I'm having trouble grasping the concept. And I need to get this project done ASAP.

Here goes... I would like my Main Menu to be a 10 sec animation that I have made in After Effects, with just video and no audio. There will be 2 text buttons (Play All, and Chapter Select). The problem is that I don't want my buttons to appear until about 5 sec into the animation. I just can't figure out how to do this. I have tried pretty much everything I can think of, including some tips I've read on this form, but it just isn't coming together for me. If someone can give me a very clear step by step, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Motion Menu help please!
on Jun 10, 2009 at 11:12:41 pm

Ok, so if you want there to be a 5 second intro to your menu, and you aren't animating back and forth between other submenus, then you would create a 15 second composition in after effects.

The first 5 seconds would be the animation into the menu (such as the text for your buttons moving in, etc.). Then you have the 10 second loop after that. Once you export this, bring it into encore (or use the dynamic link) and set it as the motion background of a blank menu. Set the "Loop Point" of the menu to the 5 second mark. This will cause the button highlights to not appear until after the 5 second intro animation of the menu, and it will also be the point to which the menu loops back to after it reaches the end.

Make sure you create some button highlights for those buttons using photoshop or encore.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Charles Muller
on Jun 10, 2009 at 11:37:33 pm

Hi Jon, thanks for the quick response. I tried what you suggested (importing the AFX Comp through Dynamic Link), and it works, up to a point. Then animation happens, and after it lands, my text buttons (created in AFX) dissolve in, as they are supposed to... but that's it. I can't figure out how to make those 2 bits of text become buttons????

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jun 11, 2009 at 3:47:17 am

Well there are several ways to go about doing it. You can create the button highlights in photoshop by selecting the blank menu in encore, then go to 'Edit > Edit Menu in Photoshop'. This will launch photoshop and you can create the button highlight by following the directions in the help documentation.

You will need to create a Layer Group and name it with a (+) prefix. You then create a new layer and give it a (=1) prefix. On this layer you can create the highlight graphic (can only be 1 color, and no feathering).

Another option is to create a menu using the templates in Encore, then while selecting the menu, go to 'Menu > Create After Effects Composition'. Once it creates the composition, you can modify it and animate it as you like.

Much of this information is found in the help documentation and tutorials are provided on adobe's website.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Jun 11, 2009 at 4:18:21 am

the loop point method...
http://www.absolutevideosolutions.com/videosamples/AEmenutut.wmv

right click and save target as, this is an old tutorial but it will help you in your quest.

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Jun 11, 2009 at 5:15:19 pm

I took the liberty of expanding on Dave Garrett's tutorial here:

Simple Motion Menu in the list of tutorials.
http://jmrser.com/Tutorials.html.

John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Charles Muller
on Jun 11, 2009 at 11:15:25 pm

Thanks again for all the help, but I am really pulling my hair out over this!!!!! I have read several tutorials, and watched the AdobeTV tutorial about 15 times, and it is still not working for me. Absolutely nothing I do in AFX will create a button for me in Encore, even following the AdobeTV step by step instructions.

Just as a test, I have tried creating a text layer in AFX, then selecting Layer -> Adobe Encore -> Create Button. When I have imported the AFX Comp through Dynamic Link and Option-dragged it onto the menu, the comp shows up, but it is impossible for me to select that text as a button.

Am I missing something really obvious here????? Because I would think that selecting Create Button would actually create a button. As I said, I've read and watched a lot of tutorials, and from what I can tell, this should be fairly straightforward.

Help, please!!!!!

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 12, 2009 at 1:22:47 am

Don't use Dynamic Link for this - export a PSD from AE, and then import this a menu in Encore.

Then use Dynamic Link for your menu video/audio background.

Return to posts index

Ken Knowles
on Jun 12, 2009 at 6:56:12 pm

What you need to realize is that a button is simply an area that can be activated to do a specific action. It doesn't matter what is on the video.

The button can be invisible. The colors used for the various states that a button can have do not need to be seen. Using the method that Jon Geddes talked about above is probably the easiest way to put a button on a video.

I recommend you watch Andrew Kramer's tutorial about DVD authoring at Video Copilot. He takes you through using After Effects to create the motion background (including the intro) and the buttons using the method Jon described.

Ken Knowles
Knowles-McNiff

Return to posts index

Charles Muller
on Jun 13, 2009 at 2:02:19 am

Problem solved! I just watched the Videocopilot tutorial, and it finally all comes clear. Thanks very much to all of you who tried to help me out. I guess I just needed to actually see it to get it. Thanks everyone!

Charles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]