FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 Blu-Ray and Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Hansen
H.264 Blu-Ray and Encore
on Jun 9, 2009 at 4:43:34 pm

forgive me as i'm not a regular poster to the Encore forum, and if this question has already been answered. i did a quick search and couldn't find anything, which might mean its no longer a problem.

i'm currently using Encore, along with Compressor and Toast 10 to make MPEG-2 Blu-Ray discs. i know that Encore can also make H.264 discs, but in a few different How-To's that i read, it says that Encore will take an H.264 file and transcode it to MPEG-2. and you can't tell it not to. is it true that it does this? i'm thinking about getting the Matrox CompressHD card to make Blu-Ray H.264 files, but i want to make sure that Encore will play nice with them.

on a similar note, how does a H.264 Blu-Ray compare in quality to a MPEG-2 one at similar bitrates? i have noticed that most Blu-Ray titles are MPEG-2, but there are a few like one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, that are H.264, sometimes going over 40Mbps! i don't think thats possible with MPEG-2.

thanks

e

Eric Hansen, The Audio Visual Plumber - http://www.avplumber.com

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: H.264 Blu-Ray and Encore
on Jun 9, 2009 at 6:09:15 pm

Not true, Encore transcodes to H.264 directly without transcoding to MPEG-2 at all.

EDIT: Encore will also pass through H.264 files that are Blu-ray legal without re-transcoding.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 9, 2009 at 6:16:25 pm

Also, the maximum video bit rate for Blu-ray is 40 Mbps.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Jun 9, 2009 at 6:11:46 pm

thanks. i wonder if Encore thought that the H.264 files weren't legal for some reason. i have CS3, btw. maybe the authors of the How-To's were on older versions.

i'm going to rent the Pirates sequels to see for myself, but i read somewhere that when you turn on the Display on a Sony Blu-Ray player and it lists the current codec and bitrate, that at times the movie was going over 40.

thanks

e

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 9, 2009 at 7:29:47 pm

Total video and audio bit rate can't exceed 48 Mbps, but video bit rate is limited to 40 Mbps.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jun 10, 2009 at 12:30:28 am

I believe CS3 will transcode your blu-ray motion menus to MPEG2 regardless of which format you specify (if I recall correctly). CS4 will create h264 menus while in H264 authoring mode, however it will most likely spit out an error message during the build process.

You should specify MPEG2 as the authoring mode regardless of what you want your video to be. You can then set the transcode settings of your main video to H.264 for better quality. If you have already created the h264 file using the CompressHD in Premiere, just import that into Encore and it won't need any transcoding (even if your authoring mode is MPEG2). Encore does support burning h264 to blu-ray and it works well (I've done it many times).

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Pedro Figueroa
on Jun 29, 2009 at 4:17:31 am

Sorry buts thats not true. On MAC, Encore dont work with CompressHD h.264 file. Crash all the time.

From Matrox Forum

"Adobe Encore CS4 has stability issues when burning 1080i material created with the Matrox MAX H.264 codec to Blu-ray Disc. To burn 1080i material to Blu-ray Disc, you can use an alternate application such as Roxio Toast. (Ref# 50554)"
We apologize for any inconvenience and hope to have a fix for this in the near future.

This is the link for this thread

http://forum.matrox.com/compresshd/viewtopic.php?t=66

They told me to author with Toast !!! Thats crazy.

I hope they fix that. ADOBE our MATROX

Regards,

Pedro Paulo Figueroa
http://www.pepefigueroa.com
Rio de Janeiro - BRAZIL

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 29, 2009 at 1:32:13 pm

[Pedro Figueroa] "Sorry buts thats not true. On MAC, Encore dont work with CompressHD h.264 file. Crash all the time."

That has not been my experience on the Mac - I can work with h.264-encoded files from Premiere, Adobe Media Encoder, and Apple Compressor without stability problems.

Sounds like your problems may be hardware (Matrox)-specific?

Return to posts index

Pedro Figueroa
on Jun 29, 2009 at 3:27:02 pm

Ok so tell me please, what Level you use and BitRates when you export with CompresHD Presets ???

Regards

Pedro Paulo
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

Return to posts index

Pedro Figueroa
on Jun 29, 2009 at 4:00:01 pm

Sorry i was talking about H.264 file encoded with CompressHD card.

With Adobe Media Encoder works good, buts takes forever.

regards

Pedro Paulo Figueroa

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 29, 2009 at 10:01:57 pm

[Pedro Figueroa] "With Adobe Media Encoder works good, buts takes forever."

Maybe so...but it doesn't crash.

Return to posts index

Pedro Figueroa
on Jun 29, 2009 at 11:05:39 pm

Thats true !!!

Thanks

Pedro Paulo Figueroa

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Jul 1, 2009 at 3:40:23 pm

i looked at the Matrox forum post that was linked, and there was talk of Level 4.0 vs. Level 4.2 and the last post by the Matrox Tech was that Level 4.2 won't work. what is the difference? is there a downside to using 4.0? what Level does Compressor or Adobe Media encode?

i can't believe they said that Encore doesnt work, so you should use Toast to author your BD discs. they really don't get it.

e

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Jul 1, 2009 at 3:44:05 pm

and further, how do you author a play-only Blu-Ray in Toast when you have separate audio and video assets (H.264 and AC3 files)? it seems like it only accepts assets as single audio/video files. if there's a way, i could skip using Encore for play-only Blu-Rays

thanks

e

Return to posts index

Pedro Figueroa
on Jul 1, 2009 at 4:09:25 pm

Levels 4.0 goes to 20 Mbps
Levels 4.2 goes to 50 Mbps

I try again with Levels 4.0 and 4.2 and Encore continuos to "CRASH
".

With Level 4.0 and 20 Mpbs i can import but Encore get very slow and keep CRASHING too.

I just both this card to accelerate the ENCODING, big mistake.

Regards,

Pedro Paulo Figueroa
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

MAC OS X 10.5.7
2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB 800MHz

Sony HVR-Z1 - HDV ( 1440 x 1080i )

Return to posts index

Bassel - Matrox Video Products Group
on Jul 22, 2009 at 9:22:26 pm

Hi all,

If you read the bug carefully (which is stated in the Release Notes), you'll notice that its only an issue when you create a 1080i file with the MAX technology (Such as the CompressHD card or MXO2 MAX family of products) and try to bring this file into Adobe Encore (for Mac). In all other cases, with other burning and authoring programs, there are no issues with these MAX files. Once the Adobe Encore (for Mac) fix is completed; you’ll be able to use 1080i files in Adobe Encore.

Presently, if you absolutely need to work with 1080i and use Adobe Encore (for Mac), you will have this same, usually long encoding times. However, If this is not your case, then you can use any other program for 1080i or any other resolution for Adobe Encore.

I hope this helps in clarifying things.

Best regards,
Bassel

Return to posts index

Pedro Figueroa
on Jul 22, 2009 at 10:54:15 pm

Thanks, but thats my problem 1080i footage from a Sony HVR-Z1. Lets wait Adobe fix this problem !!!

Thanks one more time !!

Pedro Figueroa

Return to posts index

Wolfgang Isenhart
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:34:30 pm

This is still happening.

I have the same problem now on a Mac Pro Quad running the latest version of compressor and cs4.

try to export h.264 with compressor with the "Blu-Ray template"
but it crashes Encore when trying to import assets.

Any ideas? I have Toast 9 with the blu-ray plug in.

I was hoping to do a nice menu in Encore.

Seattle DP/Editor. Varicam, HDX900, HPX300, HVX200, Sony HDCAM, Final Cut Pro 6.0.6, Mac Pro 10.6.2

Return to posts index

Andy Chua
on Dec 9, 2011 at 5:15:52 am

As a Blu-Ray movies lover, you may have been blocked when convert larger Blu-ray to H264 video formats to save the space on your PC. Blu-ray zu H264 will help you settle all the difficulties. With this program, converting Blu-ray video to H.264/MPEG-4 video format, H.264/MOVvideo formats will be very simple. Blu-ray a H264

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]