FORUMS: list search recent posts

subtitle or menu subpicture too complex - HELP

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frans Suijs
subtitle or menu subpicture too complex - HELP
on May 26, 2009 at 2:15:25 pm

Hi,

I have a dvd with 2 sets of 9 clips. The first set contains 10 subtitles, the second set 7. There are 85 menu's on the dvd. When I do a project check it seems to be fine, but when compiling to disk I get the message: the subtitle or menu subpicture is too complex to be encoded. Can anyone help me out with this problem?

Thanks!

Frans

Return to posts index

Frans Suijs
subtitle or menu subpicture too complex - part 2
on May 26, 2009 at 2:39:55 pm

just some extra info: When inporting the subtitles I gave the titles a light outline. In the timeline color set I chose almost black as a fill, stroke is 0%, anti alias 100%. The option 'create anti ...' is not selected. I have some moving menu's and some normal, each menu has two different highlight groups.

Frans

Return to posts index

Frans Suijs
Re: subtitle or menu subpicture too complex - part 3
on May 26, 2009 at 6:34:06 pm

It seems the menus are not the problem. The problem starts when Encore is encoding the timelines with the subtitles. I have Chinese, Japanese and Russion subtitles, maybe they cause the problem. The project is 16:9 and I'm on Encore CS2 on a PC, XP.

Regards,

Frans

Return to posts index

Michael Rossmeier
on Jun 1, 2009 at 10:04:14 am

Hi Frans,

I also had this error-message... i have subtitles in 6 languages,...
We make the subtitles, export them to textfiles and import them later into the final project... working in Encore CS4...
However, I had the same problem and was searching for a solution forever... i found out that this error message appears when a line in the subtitle is too long... i tried to shorten them but was almost impossible to split sentences that much...
So i found out it's not about the number of characters that causes the problem, but the characters being over a certain point towards the edges of the screen...

Maybe it's the same in CS2
My workaround:
(I have a PAL widescreen project, 720x576 (16:9).)
When i reimport the subtitle-textfile, it suggests right and left borders which seem to be too wide and cause this error - so i found out that if i set them to 120 left edge and 600 right edge, it works...

Maybe it's the same error - hope it helps...
All the best
rossi

Return to posts index

Frans Suijs
on Jun 2, 2009 at 9:27:31 am

Hi Rossi,

We also came to the same conclusion here. It seems that Encore has a limit of 1400 bits or something per text line. The solution for us was to decrease the textsize and then it was fine. Another problem was duplicating the original project and work from there and then duplicate once more. Better stick to the original project. I rebuilded the project on a Mac with CS4 and now it works fine!

Thanks for your reaction.

Frans

Return to posts index

Dave Knop
on Jul 8, 2009 at 2:06:54 pm

I was having the same error; "the subtitle or menu subpicture is too complex to be encoded" when trying to burn a DVD with imported subtitles. I tried to "simplify" the titles and other suggestions from other posts (with no success). I searched forums and tried everything!

After searching and searching, I came across this post and thought I'd give it a try. Upon importing of my subtitles, I set the margins to the numbers [120 left edge and 600 right edge] in the setup menu. ...And it worked for me as well!

THANKS!

I'm working with a NTSC 16:9 widescreen project.
No menus.
Adobe Encore CS3
Windows XP

Return to posts index

laura soria
on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:21:54 am

Thanx to everybody!! you save me .. I was hours long wrangling with "the subtitle or menu subpicture is too complex to be encoded" ... actually i was having 15 10 minutes films 4 menus and 2 subtitles tracks for each ... i found this post and followed your advices and it worked but not for all of them .. 3 films and 6 subtitles tracks still were giving me problems ... so what I did was to set the margins to the numbers [130 left edge and 585 right edge 70 in the top and 495 for the bottom] in the setup menu. So it works for me ... As conclusion I can say that is a question to keep setting numbers in the set up menu. By the way .. someone knows if is possible to change this setup after created?
best regards

Return to posts index

Dave Knop
on Jul 8, 2009 at 2:26:55 pm

After learning this procedure of adjusting margins fixed my error, I went back and ran some more tests and tried other numbers, reducing the margin in increments of 10(to get as much margin space as possible for my subtitles) I was able to get the subtitles to burn to disc with margins set to:

92 (left) and 628 (right)

[Encore default is 72 / 648]

Return to posts index

Paddy Uglow
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:54:26 pm

You are a super-genius Dave!
Thanks for that. I was feeling very clever having made a spreadsheet with columns for timecodes and columns for the 4 languages I was creating subtitles for, and doing a bit of cut'n'pasting/replacing in a text editor to create importable subtitle scripts, when that pesky "too complex to be encoded" error came up at burntime and made me wish I'd maybe started in DVD Studio instead.
But you seem to be right about those edges settings. Burns nicely now with 4 subtitles (including Greek!).
- Paddy

Return to posts index

tiom tiom
on Nov 6, 2011 at 7:37:06 am

Hi guys,
it seems upon me like this:
only experiment with FONT Size is the way how to solve this problem.
in practice: start setup Font size of imported subtitles at 30 points.
if problem still occurs, try to change amount to 29 or 31, 28 or 32,....
PS.: no change of margins or text encoding are necessary

Return to posts index

tiom tiom
on Nov 6, 2011 at 9:21:41 am

Hi all,
I found out the solution!
It is so simple ! Don`t setup margins just modify Font Size of each imported text subtitles.
For example> at the beginning try native 30 pt and if it does`t work, try 29 or 31, then 28 or 32, go on....
have a nice day :)

Return to posts index

Roger Yates
on Jan 27, 2012 at 10:06:47 am

Hi all.

I am having real problems with this issue.

I have tried reducing the font size and although this does work, every time I add a new language, I have to reduce the font size again. I went from 32 to 27 and now Im on 20. I have one more subtitle track to add and I am worried that I will have to reduce it again in which case, there will be no point as the font will be too small.

I have put the subtitles in manually as I have 4 great translated scripts.

Also, I have noticed a few threads on here that recommend changing the margin size. Where in Encore CS5.5 can you do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave Knop
on Jan 27, 2012 at 3:25:55 pm

I'm not working in CS5.5 But the process should still be the same.
If you created your subtitles within Encore, the only way I know to see the full list of settings is this:

Select a subtitle track on your timeline and from the top menu, click Timeline > Export Subtitles. Save the file. Now with that same track selected on your timeline, Re-import the file.
(Timeline > Import Subtitles )

Upon import of this file you should see the FULL range of Subtitle setting options in the menu. The margins will be the numbers defaulted at (72 648)/(48 432) The 72/648 numbers are the left and right margins that seem to cause the error.

Setting them to 92 (left) and 628 (right) has worked for me.

Let me know if this works!

Return to posts index

Roger Yates
on Jan 27, 2012 at 5:16:22 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply Dave but it has not worked. Although I did learn how to open the margin window!!!

As I feared,when I added the final sub title track, I could not build the dvd as the same error message popped up. Again, I may need to reduce the font size, but Im worried that by doing so you wont be able to read the text! What would the best font and minimum safe size be?

I will try to adjust the left and right margins again by a further 10 units and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your speedy response by the way.

Return to posts index

Roger Yates
on Jan 30, 2012 at 4:51:56 pm

Still no luck. I have now dropped the font size to 15 which works but it is way to small. I have also reduced my left and right margins to Left and Right to 102 and 618 but still no luck.

Is there a magic character count or something?

The minimum font (ariel) size I would like to go is 20.

Im getting really desperate now and have even removed 3 out of the 4 ST tracks to try to rectify the 'problem' but alas still nothing.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave Knop
on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:30:55 pm

Sorry to hear that. The font size has never been an issue for me, the margin adjustment should be all the adjustments you need to make. Based on the complexity of your languages, you may need to reduce the margins even more than my suggestions.

Might even be worth creating a new project with all of the subtitles removed and then importing your saved subtitles into that new project. (in case there's something else within the old project that's causing the error)

But, another option could be to check your font.

I have found that the font: 'Arial Unicode MS' worked best for me. I'm not sure if this will fix your issues, but it could be a last option to check.

Return to posts index

Roger Yates
on Jan 31, 2012 at 1:04:45 pm

Thanks for the response Dave. Unfortunately it did not work.

BUT.....

When I removed the outline, it worked perfectly even with the 72/648 margin setting. Also, I could increase my font size without any trouble.

So there seems to be 3 random fixes throughout this thread for this issue.... mmmm... It doesn't quite narrow the underlying problem down though.

Return to posts index

Hideaki Ogiwara
on Feb 23, 2012 at 8:48:50 pm

I have same problem to burn dvd with CS 5 ENCORE...

Please let me know how I can change the margins to the numbers [120 left edge and 600 right edge] in the setup menu....

Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave Knop
on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:02:05 pm

You make the adjustments upon importing the file.

If you created your subtitles within Encore, the only way I know to see the full list of settings is this:

Select a subtitle track on your timeline and from the top menu, click Timeline > Export Subtitles. Save the file. Now with that same track selected on your timeline, Re-import the file.
(Timeline > Import Subtitles )

Upon import of this file you should see the FULL range of Subtitle setting options in the menu. The margins will be the numbers defaulted at (72 648)/(48 432) The 72/648 numbers are the left and right margins that seem to cause the error.

Setting them to 92 (left) and 628 (right) has worked for me.

Return to posts index

Hideaki Ogiwara
on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:08:07 pm

Thank you. I will try now!!

Return to posts index

Roger Yates
on Feb 24, 2012 at 9:29:39 am

I export the subtitles and then reimport them, it brings up a window with various settings including margin

But, I found if I removed the text outline, the issue disappeared and I could them have the text the size I wanted (26).

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Jimmie Schmoranz
on Dec 17, 2012 at 6:04:19 am

Removing the outline is the only thing working for me.

However, the text is now impossible to read against bright backgrounds so the problem isn't really fixed.

I also read about someone changing outline to bold and got it to work but that's not working for me. Nor is changing the left and right parameters.

Honestly, if this problem has been known since CS2, why hasn't it been fixed? I thought this software was made for professionals.. :/

Anyone heard of a bugfix, or some other way? It can't just be random. Then different solutions would work different times.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Leitner
on Jan 2, 2014 at 4:13:26 pm

i just want to concur quickly! if i disable outline (set it to "none") i can have any values of the other options they do not get in the way at all. i'm on mac and cs6

Return to posts index

Sylvain Sailler
Re: subtitle or menu subpicture too complex
on Mar 31, 2015 at 11:47:07 am
Last Edited By Sylvain Sailler on Mar 31, 2015 at 11:49:26 am

I had the same issue and didn't find anywhere anything to solve it. Finally the solution to keep the outline on was to set up the font to bold. I suppose it makes characters more clear and therefore less complex to code.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]