FORUMS: list search recent posts

Previous & Next buttons causing problems

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wendall Woodbury
Previous & Next buttons causing problems
on May 21, 2009 at 9:11:08 pm

I have encountered an interesting problem in Encore, which I hope someone has an answer to.

I built a simple 6 chapter 1 page menu. Each of the 6 icons have moving video. Everything looks fine and seems to play back fine on a stand alone DVD player, at least chapter-wise. I can click Title, Menu or Disc and the playing video will go back to the root menu, displaying the 6 chapters. I can then click another chapter and proceed. I can click the Previous or Next button on the DVD wand and will be advanced or reversed…HOWEVER, and this is where I run into trouble…once I have clicked Previous or Next, and the action takes place, the buttons freeze up and the little warning hand appears. From that point on I can’t do anything. I have to shut the DVD player down and re-start. Having said all that…on occasion, the Previous and Next buttons WILL function for awhile, but eventually the little hand appears and everything locks up again.

When I put the same DVD in a computer player the problem is slightly different, although it seems to be connected to the Previous & Next buttons. Everything works fine, EXCEPT the Reverse button. It will not back up. If I click the Next button it takes me back the menu, which is okay, because that’s where I want the viewer to go. Also, the little hand does NOT appear, however the DVD is not fully functional, if I can’t back up.

While the problem appears differently in the stand-alone and computer DVD players, it seems as though there is something going on with the Previous & Next buttons, but I can’t figure out what. The DVD has been tried on several different players with the same result.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem?

Thank you.

Wendall

PS I did not include a Previous or Next button on the actual menu, when I built it, since it’s only one page and I want the viewer to come back to the menu to pick a certain chapter.

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Previous & Next buttons causing problems
on May 21, 2009 at 9:34:02 pm

Not sure I fully understand the problem - you're referring to Next & Previous buttons on the DVD player remote control, yes?

Have you got chapter end actions or overrides in your project?

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on May 21, 2009 at 9:54:55 pm

Yes, Joe. The Previous & Next buttons on the DVD wand amd the Forward & Reverse buttons on either side of the Play button in Windows Media Player.

I do have chapter end actions, but no overrides. At the end of each chapter the viewer is returned to the menu. The problem arises when the viewer wants to leave mid-chapter, either forward or reverse.

Thanks.

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 21, 2009 at 10:46:59 pm

What should happen is when you press the Next button, the chapter end action executes. This takes you back to your menu, right?

What buttons do you press from the menu at this point?

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on May 21, 2009 at 11:40:22 pm

Once the NEXT button is pushed it goes to the menu and then the viewer selects another chapter to view(shown by a red arrow) and then pushes the PLAY button.

The trouble comes when the viewer doesn't want to watch the whole chapter and tries to return to the menu. Sometimes the PREVIOUS button works, except on the computer player, where it does not work at all. And, sometimes he NEXT button also works. However, MOST of the time, once those particular buttons are pushed, and the action is executed, the DVD (stand alone player) freezes up and has to be ejected.

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 22, 2009 at 1:44:49 pm

Wendall, please pardon my confusion after reading your post.

In your first paragraph, you state that pressing the Next button takes you to the menu, but then in the following paragraph you write it sometimes works but most times it freezes the player. Is the first paragraph describing your expected behavior, and the second paragraph the actual behavior occurring?

Do I have the right take on this yet?

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on May 22, 2009 at 10:00:50 pm

Sorry Joe, I'm even confusing myself on this one! Let me re-word the problem I'm encountering.

* I built a 6-chapter, 1-page menu in Encore (with moving video.)

* Chapters play back fine on my stand alone DVD player AND on my computer Windows Media Player.

* HOWEVER, I have encountered another problem with each.

* First the STAND ALONE DVD PLAYER:
when I am in the middle of playing back one of the chapters, and I click either the PREVIOUS or NEXT button on the wand, it completes the action okay...but, when I try to click either PREVIOUS or NEXT AGAIN the player freezes up. In other words I can't make it play or do anything, until I restart. Now, this does NOT happen every time. The PREVIOUS AND NEXT buttons may operate properly for a couple of trys (reversing or going forward) but, eventually clicking either PREVIOUS or NEXT will freezes up the DVD player. I've tried it on several DVD players with the same results, so the problem is on the DVD.

PLAYBACK ON MY COMPUTER PLAYER:

* Using the same DVD in my computer player causes a different reaction.

* Everything functions fine, EXCEPT the PREVIOUS BUTTON. I cannot go back to a former chapter or the menu. However, unlike the DVD standalong player, I CAN use the NEXT button without a problem (on windows Media Player.)

* I'm just wondering if I might be doing something wrong in the creation of the project in Encore? Or, perhaps it's just a bad DVD (Taiyo Yuden.)I'm about to re-try the project, but am hesitating, simply because it's rather arduous and I don't want to repeat the same mistake, if there is one.

I hope this is a bit clearer.

Thanks for addressing this issue with me.

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 22, 2009 at 10:10:50 pm

It seems that you made your chapters as separate timelines, instead of making a single timeline with chapter markers.

Each timeline on a DVD disc gets put in a separate VTS, and you cannot navigate between VTSs like you can navigate between chapters in a single VTS. The PREVIOUS and NEXT buttons on the "wand" are for navigating between chapters.

You can fix this issue by either:

1. Using your editing software to stitch all of the chapters together into one video file.

2. Dragging each separate video file sequentially to a single Encore timeline. En will generate the chapter markers at the joins automatically.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on May 22, 2009 at 10:26:27 pm

Ah-ha Jeff. I think you may have hit the nail on the head...because, I did make seperate time-lines when creating the project. I'll re-try the project making a single time-line with the same end-actions etc., via your #2 method, and see what happens.

Thanks for your input Jeff.

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on May 25, 2009 at 5:19:40 am

It appears I need a bit more information to complete my Encore project.

I followed your directions Jeff, regarding putting all my video segments on one timeline. I was able, after much experimenting, to make a DVD, which will open up on an introduction, then go to the Main Menu. I can play a segment and then forward to the next segment, or back up to the previous segment. Unfortunately, when a chapter ends, it does not go back to the Main Menu. It just goes to the next chapter.

I also found 2 errors at the end of the building process. The first was No End Action for 5 of the segments (even though I did disignate them, as you'll see) and there were 5 orphans in the Flowchart, which I just ignored.

Here is the sequence I followed to build the DVD:

 Opened ‘pre-built menu’ with moving background video
 Imported Intro Clip as timeline
 Imported video segments as timeline
 Named & saved project
 Brought 6 video segments to timeline as chapters
 Pick-whipped from ‘motion’ to ‘moving background video’
 Clicked Animate Buttons
 Pick-whipped each of 6 chapters to their counterparts on timeline
 Set poster frame for each chapter
 Set 'Name From Link' & typed in name of each chapter
 Opened Flowchart and Pick-whipped from Main Menu to Disc
 Pick-whipped each segment name in Flowchart to each segment on timeline, starting with bottom name
 Pick-whipped Intro Clip to Disc in Flowchart
 Pick-whipped Main Menu to the Intro Clip in Flowchart
 Pick-whipped from Properties End Action of each segment to Main Menu in Flowchart
 Selected Intro Clip in Project Window & set 'Timeline User Operations' to ‘None’
 Rendered Motion Menus & saved

NOTE: I disabled 'Sync Button Text & Name Selected', before beginning, as I read somewhere this may cause problems.

Is there anything I missed?

Thanks.

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 25, 2009 at 3:34:18 pm

I think I understand what you did. Your 5 orphans are 5 of the 6 timelines that you created when you imported them as timelines. The sixth one is the timeline you used to stitch together the other segments. Delete the unused timelines from the project. That may or may not make the end actions warning go away too, depending on the answer to the next question.

[Wendall Woodbury]
 Pick-whipped each segment name in Flowchart to each segment on timeline, starting with bottom name
 Pick-whipped from Properties End Action of each segment to Main Menu in Flowchart

Aren't each of these 3 steps doing the exact same thing: that is, linking each menu button to the matching segment/chapter on the timeline? It appears you are wasting triple the effort on executing the same task. If not, if you intended to do something else, then please clarify exactly what each step was supposed to accomplish.

Once you get that sorted, then put each chapter/segment into its own Chapter Playlist. Then put all the chapters/segments into a single Chapter Playlist. Link the Play All button to the long Chapter Playlist, and then link each individual chapter button to the appropriate Chapter Playlist.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on May 25, 2009 at 8:04:15 pm

First of all Jeff, thanks for responding on a holiday.

Half the problem is that I'm an 'almost newbie' with Encore. There are some things I'm still trying to grasp.

AN OVERVIEW:
Initially, the client wanted to have an automatic opening of 4 mins which the viewer must watch (like the FBI warning) which automatically goes to the Main Menu. They then wanted the ability to play a segment, then if the viewer decided(mid-play) that they wanted to go back to the Main Menu all they would have to do is click the Previous & Next buttons. I explained to the client that the 'Root Menu' button on the wand was meant to do that. They also wanted each finished chapter to automatically return to the Main Menu. Then the viewer could decided which segment they would like to watch next. I think they've given up on the idea of using the Previous & Next buttons to return to THE Main Menu (which WOULD be ideal) and will have to settle for just being able to change chapters with the Previous & Next buttons and to automatically return to the Main Menu after each chapter play.

Having said all that...here's the the sequence desired:

* Auto DVD start leading to the Main Menu
* The ability to start any chapter
* The ability to back up to the Previous chapter or go forward to
the Next chapter
* When each chapter ends it would go back to the Main Menu
* They don't need or want an 'All Play' capability
* At this point, the only thing I don't have is each chapter
automatically returning to the Main Menu

Now, in response to your information...I think you are absolutely right about the 'orphans', because presently I see 7 timelines (including the first play Intro). I have all 6 chapters on the 8th timeline, except the first play Intro. As I understand it, I should 'erase' all those timelines, except the intro?

Regarding this...........
[Wendall Woodbury]

I was following a tutorial by Brian Williams of England. It seemed to work...at first, but the project has gotten more complicated since. On the face of it, I'm obviously being redundant, but I thought I needed to connect the chapters to the timeline AND then have an 'End Action' back to the Main Menu in the Flowchart(in order to accomplish my above goals.) Should I only use one of the actions above and which one is advised? Or, perhaps you could simply delete the actions I DON'T need, in the 'DVD Creation List' I provided earlier?

Regarding the 'Playlist'...I have not even delved into that aspect yet and don't know where to start. The only thing I see, under Menu, is Create Chapter Index. Looks like I need some more tutorial training.

Sorry for the long response.

Thank you for any further information.

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 25, 2009 at 9:40:07 pm

1. Delete all timelines except the Intro timeline and the segment timeline.

2. Link all menu buttons to their chapter counterparts.

3. Disregard the advice about Playlists. If you don't need a "Play All" function, then they are not necessary.

4. Put an end action to return to the last menu on each chapter except the last chapter. When the last chapter is finished playing, the end action for the timeline will execute. Remember that if you want to return to the menu after chapter 1 is finished, you put the end action on the chapter marker at the beginning of chapter 1, *not* on the marker for chapter 2 (which is the marker at the end of chapter 1). It is very tempting (because it makes sense visually) to put the end action on the chapter marker that is at the end of the current chapter. Don't do that.

5. Double-check again that no overrides are set anywhere in your project.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on May 26, 2009 at 3:48:07 am

Thank you Jeff.

I'm confused (no unusual) but, I think I understand why you connect the End Action to the same chanpter marker you are in. I've done all that, plus deleted all chapters except the Intro & the segment timelines, but now do I go to the Flowchart (which [presently has all the chapters in the Orphans area) or, do I just proceed directly to the Timeline & Set Timeline User Operations to None and then Render Motion Menus? In other words what's the next step to take, without messing up the project.

Thanks.

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 26, 2009 at 1:01:54 pm

Here's a screenshot of what your project should look like. I used four chapters instead of six.

Encore Screenshot

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on May 26, 2009 at 4:34:11 pm

Thanks for taking the time to build a screenshot for me Jeff. Much appreciated.

I noticed that you imported your video as Assets. I have been importing my video as Timeline (recommended in my tutorial.) Although, I did import my 'moving background' as an Asset. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I do have a couple of questions for you. First of all, my flowchart looked exactly like yours, using my old method of creating a DVD. At present however, the main menu & chapters are all still residing in the orphan area. I linked the first 5 chapters, as you suggested, by pickwhipping the End Action down to each 'beginning' chapter marker (but skipped the last.) However, when I review the End Action window of each chapter they all name segment #1 and not the main menu as the End Action. Is that correct? Shouldn't it say Main Menu?

By the way, I did try to make further adjustments by moving the Main Menu in the flow chart up to the disc and then brought up the Intro Clip, then brought the Main Menu back up to the Intro Clip Icon. But, this time (unlike before) the moving backkground video did not show up to the right of the top Icon (as yours in the screenshot does.) Also, when I clicked each chapter boxe, it said my End Action was not set, but of course I did set it.

So, at this point, I've backed up to where I left off...setting the End Action of each chapter on the timeline. What must I do next to finish the process?

Sorry this is taking so long.

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 26, 2009 at 5:32:11 pm

[Wendall Woodbury] "I linked the first 5 chapters, as you suggested, by pickwhipping the End Action down to each 'beginning' chapter marker (but skipped the last.)"

What I actually suggested was that you link the menu buttons to the chapter markers, not the chapter end actions to the chapter markers. Make sure to link every button to its corresponding chapter.

The chapter end actions should all link back to the menu (except for the last chapter).

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on May 26, 2009 at 6:54:52 pm

Yes, I did link the menu buttons to the chapter markers earlier (via the LINK button in the Properties panel.

What is confusing me I guess is paragraph 4 of your earlier response:

((Jeff said 4. Put an end action to return to the last menu on each chapter except the last chapter. When the last chapter is finished playing, the end action for the timeline will execute. Remember that if you want to return to the menu after chapter 1 is finished, you put the end action on the chapter marker at the beginning of chapter 1.))

If I pick whip from End Action to the Main Menu in the Project Window OR do the same in the Flowchart, will that do the trick?

Is there anything else to do before trying to Build?

Thanks.

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 26, 2009 at 7:01:49 pm

[Wendall Woodbury] "If I pick whip from End Action to the Main Menu in the Project Window OR do the same in the Flowchart, will that do the trick?

Is there anything else to do before trying to Build?"

Nope. You got it. :-)

Pickwhip from the chapter's end action in the Properties panel either to the menu in the Project panel, or to the menu in the Flowchart panel, and you'll be good to go.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on May 26, 2009 at 9:01:13 pm

This is a tough one! Now, only the INTRO CLIP is working upon preview.

I started over with only the MAIN MENU & MOVING BKG VIDEO in the Encore project. Here's what I did step by step. Obviously, I've made a mistake somewhere along the way.

 Imported INTRO CLIP as TIMELINE
 Set INTRO CLIP as 1st PLAY
 Imported VIDEO SEGMENTS as TIMELINE
 Erased all TIMELINES, except INTRO – created NEW TIMELINE & NAMED
 Added all 6 VIDEO SEGMENTS to the NEW TIMELINE
 NAMED & SAVED project
 Clicked MAIN MENU - pick whipped MOTION to VIDEO BKG
 Clicked ANIMATE BUTTONS
 Pickwhipped each of 6 SEGMENTS to CHAPTER MARKER on TIMELINE
 Selected each chapter (in red) - used MONITOR to SET POSTER FRAMES
 Checked CHAPTER NAMES (Set Name From Link selected)
 SAVED
 Selected CHAPTER ONE MARKER & pick-whipped (via Properties Panel)to MAIN MENU in PROJECT PANEL – ALL CHAPTERS DONE THAT WAY, except the last chapter which I left as END ACTION ‘Not Set’)

 Clicked TIMELINE & SET TIMELINE USER OPERATIONS & NONE
 Clicked FILE – RENDER – MOTION MENUS

NOTE: Flowchart shows ONLY the INTRO CLIP…the MAIN MENU & SEGMENTS remain in the ORPHAN AREA – after previewing I tried to BUILD but it shows that I have the following errors.

 INTRO CLIP … End Action not set
 IN EACH SEGMENT 2 errors – Orphan timeline & End Action not set)
 NEW TIMELINE End Action not set

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 26, 2009 at 10:44:48 pm

Wendall, it's really not that tough...

The Flowchart and Check Project dialog are telling you exactly what's wrong with the project: your First Play timeline (INTRO CLIP) has no end action. That means nothing happens on the disc after INTRO CLIP plays. If you want something to happen, you've got to set its end action.

Set your NEW TIMELINE end action to what you want to happen when the timeline has played out.

I guess I don't understand why you are setting your Timeline User Operations to None. That means your Next/Previous chapter buttons won't work, and you won't be able to fast forward, rewind, pause, stop, etc. Not even click go to a menu on the DVD while the timeline plays. Nothing. If that's what you want, then set the timeline user ops to None. Otherwise, set it to All, or set it to Custom and check which operations you want available when video is playing.

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on May 27, 2009 at 1:46:03 am

Hi Joe. Thanks for the info.

The confusion, on my part, is coming from the fact that I had previously been following a tutorial, which said set Timeline User Operations to None. It did work, up to a point. But I was not able to create the exact set up I wanted, hence my appeal to the COW forum.

Following what Jeff & you both have said, I am almost there. Everything works the way I want it to, EXCEPT the last chapter will not go back to the Main Menu. Jeff said don't put an End Action on the last chapter, that it will automatically return to the Main Menu. Unfortunately, the chapter ends and just goes to black. I tried putting an End Action (back to Main Menu) on the chapter, just for the heck of it, and that didn't work either. The result was the same...black. I've tried re-creating the project a couple of times with the same results.

There are no Orphans (finally) in the Flowchart, so that's a good thing. Now, if I can just get the last chapter to return to the Main Menu, the project will be a success. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 27, 2009 at 1:56:11 am

OK, I think we're approaching the finish line now...

If you are linking to a timeline with chapters (not to chapter playlists), then give the timeline an end action of Return to Last Menu. If you are linking chapter playlists, make sure all of them have Return to Last Menu as the end action.

In either case, make sure you are not using overrides anywhere in the project.

Let us know how that works for you.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 27, 2009 at 2:20:31 am

You don't set an end action for the last chapter. When the last chapter finishes playing, the timeline finishes playing. Hence, you need an end action for the timeline that goes back to the menu.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on May 27, 2009 at 5:19:04 am

YOUR TIPS WORKED! I just burned a DVD with all the parameters that I need. What sense of relief!

It appears I did not have an End Action set for the Timeline. So, that's why the last chapter was not going back to the Main Menu. It works fine now, on both my Computer and DVD players. I also figured out how to make the first play Intro just like the FBI notice, by using Operations Non Permitted & NONE. Then I used ALL for the Segment Timeline.

So, I'm a happy camper, thanks to you and Joe. I want to thank you both for sticking with me on this problem. This is probably the longest thread in COW history, but I appreciate the input, and so will my client! I've certainly learned there's more than one way to do things in Encore!

Thanks again for all the help.

My Best Regards,

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 27, 2009 at 9:43:45 am

You're welcome, Wendall. :-)

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 27, 2009 at 5:55:43 pm

Glad to hear of your success Wendall!

Return to posts index

paul burden
on Jun 7, 2009 at 10:39:07 pm

HI can anyone help with my chapter marker probem? After placing various markers in my timeline it appears they will go forward but will not back up. Can anyone tell me if im doing something wrong here
or if there is a remedy for this.

Regards
Novice Encore User

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 7, 2009 at 10:57:46 pm

Do you mean the Next button works, but the Previous button does not?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]