FORUMS: list search recent posts

CS4 Advanced Blu-ray playback doesn't work

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Bangerter
CS4 Advanced Blu-ray playback doesn't work
on May 17, 2009 at 9:54:05 am

So, I'm using Encore CS4 to author a Blu-ray disc. I've got 6 video clips that I'd like to playback in several different orders. Actually, here is what I'd like to accomplish:

1. A "Main Title" where the 6 video clips play back as one seamless title, chapters 1-6.
2. A Chapters menu where you can jump into any chapter of the main title.
3. An alternative playback order, which plays back as a seamless title, but different order, something like Chapters 1, 3, 2, 5, 4, 6.
4. Being able to playback any individual chapter and have it return to the main menu at the chapter's end.

Here's what I've tried so far, and why each failed.

1. Put the 6 video assets in a row in a Main Title Timeline. This doesn't work for seamless playback, because there's a huge delay between each chapter on my Blu-ray player.

2. Put each of the 6 video assets into its own Timeline, and create a Main Title Playlist from the 6 timelines. This is not acceptable, because you can't fast-forward and rewind through the Main Title.

3. Combine all 6 clips into one long clip in my NLE. Import the video asset and create a Main Title Timeline from it. This works perfectly (of course) for objectives 1 and 2 above. Then, I created Chapter Playlists to play back in the alternative order, and do the single chapter playback. This worked perfectly in simulation mode, however, when the Blu-ray was actually burned, these Chapter Playlists do nothing. When selecting the menu buttons that link to the Chapter Playlists, it just goes right back to the start of the menu. I know it says in the Encore CS3 Read Me that Chapter Playlists aren't supported on Blu-ray, but there's nothing about it in the CS4 Read Me. I guess it still hasn't been implemented? Lame.

Does anyone have any suggestions for implementing my playback options? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: CS4 Advanced Blu-ray playback doesn't work
on May 17, 2009 at 11:40:26 am

[Todd Bangerter] "Does anyone have any suggestions for implementing my playback options? Thanks!"

Not with Encore. Try DoStudio or Scenarist.

EDIT: I should mention that you could probably do it with Encore by duplicating assets, but that's usually not an option for most authors due to space limitations.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Todd Bangerter
on May 17, 2009 at 9:05:19 pm

Damn, I was afraid of that. Yeah, I thought of duplicating assets, but that's retarded, obviously. Hadn't heard of DoStudio. I'll check it out, thanks.

Return to posts index

Andrew Ford
on May 21, 2009 at 7:15:48 pm

There will be a slight delay in doing what you tried as the laser needs a split second... but if the delay you experience is an unacceptable length, that would probably leave you with the 2 options already discussed. Scenarist is $$$. Although I agree that duplicating assets to do what you want is a silly option, the beauty of a Blu-Ray disc is it's large capacity. If you are able to duplicate two or three times and fit what you need on a 25 or 50gb disc a few times, it's a lot cheaper than buying one of the big boy programs.

---------------------------------------------
Always design with a purpose.

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Sep 17, 2009 at 6:37:31 am

I'm having this same problem. I have a Blu-ray disc with one timeline that includes 4 assets total. In-between the assets the Blu-ray will play black for anywhere between 10sec-2min. Putting assets on different timelines does solve this problem but is also unsatisfactory because you can't use the previous buttons to go backward. Not only that but I found that when burning a blu-ray in CS4 Encore does not put the invisible chapter markers at the end of timelines so you can't skip forward from the last chapter of one timeline to the next. Instead you have to play it through. I have tried making a chapter playlist but that does not work with Blu-ray as I have read in a couple other posts. The menu remote button does not work with blu-rays in CS4 either. Navigation is very limited and I cannot have these long pauses of nothing in my program. I have, as you said, considered making one long H.264 of the entire program that includes all the assets but if I have to make 1 small change down the road I'm encoding a whole new H.264.

What's strange is I authored this exact same disc in CS3 with the same assets and did not experience the gaps of black when playing back the discs. I can even burn my old image made in CS3 using CS4 and don't have the long pauses of black. I'm considering re-installing Encore CS3 on another machine just for authoring Blu-ray discs.

Have you come up with any other solutions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]