FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Replication Issue

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bart conover
DVD Replication Issue
on May 13, 2009 at 1:19:30 pm

OK . . . long story, but looking for some ideas.
I have authored a DVD for a client, had issues with getting a DDP image to the duplication facility and finally sent them just a playable DVD-R, since there was no copyright protection required for the project.

They use an Eclipse system and I assume used it, along with the DVD-R, to make the necessary files for burning the master. They did not build a check disk and upon making some copies they tried playing them and they would not work. Now, the project that I sent them on the DVD-R played fine for me, all buttons and navigation worked as they should. What would cause the copy not to play? Something on my end or theirs?

As a result, I have purchased a DLT drive and sent the project out of Encore as a DVD Master to the DLT and that is what has been sent now . . . but do I have any assurance of that working now?

Of course now my client is up against deadlines and I have to go through 3 levels of people to get to the duplicator. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: DVD Replication Issue
on May 13, 2009 at 1:37:36 pm

[bart conover] "They did not build a check disk"

Make sure they give you a check disk. Insist on it.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 13, 2009 at 5:13:16 pm

Did they replicate your DVD, or did they duplicate it?

Return to posts index

bart conover
on May 13, 2009 at 7:25:06 pm

Good question! As I said in my first post, there are 2 layers of client between myself and the duplicator. I did find out this morning that they did create a check disk . . . and that my original did pass the bit to bit test on the first version . . . but evidently did not play for whoever received the check disk.

The contact that I did make with the company today said it might have been a press related issue. That's what I know right now.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 13, 2009 at 8:39:27 pm

If it was pressed, it was replicated. But you'll want to find that out for sure.

Return to posts index

bart conover
on May 13, 2009 at 8:43:29 pm

I'm sure that's what was done then . . . replication . . . I know they weren't using my original to just make duplicates. They were running the DVD through Eclipse to make their master.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 13, 2009 at 9:02:23 pm

Handing a recordable DVD over for mastering is not the cleanest workflow. I don't know whether that would be responsible for the problem or whether it was something on their end when they converted it to DDP.

However, mastering to DLT from Encore for replication is definitely a supported workflow, and should yield correct results. If the problem persists, look to the replicator first, and call Adobe second.

Return to posts index

bart conover
on May 13, 2009 at 9:09:04 pm

That's what I figured . . . is there any way of looking at what's on the DLT, except using Gear software?

Using Encore . . . master . . . it wrote files and then ejected the tape. I had an old DLT that I wrote the project to, that I used to back up some other stuff with Windows BU . . . it would not recognize the tape and asked to make it writable . . . . so I assume that what Encore writes to the DLT is not necessarily readable, except by software designed for DVD mastering? Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]