FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pixel Aspect Ratio

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian E.W. McNulty
Pixel Aspect Ratio
on May 5, 2009 at 5:51:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my output (Build) in Encore. I'm importing in .avi's and .mov's into my project and interpreting the footage so that it reads (SD NTSC (0.9091)). I created the movie file with a DV pixel aspect ratio not square. When I build my project all of my videos are squashed to match TV proportions...am I missing something?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Pixel Aspect Ratio
on May 5, 2009 at 8:11:50 pm

What is the aspect ratio of your source video?

Return to posts index

Brian E.W. McNulty
on May 5, 2009 at 8:16:54 pm

720x480 on three of them and one 984x628 (flash file)

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 5, 2009 at 8:28:18 pm

These were all exported from Flash? Or are the first three video files? If so, how were they captured?

Return to posts index

Brian E.W. McNulty
on May 5, 2009 at 8:32:40 pm

I created the larger file in Flash and then converted it. The other three were created in AE. I made sure I had the Comp Settings set at 720x480/ NTSC DV. The footage (limited) was created from an HD camera and the rest was created in AE.

Everything is squashed as if it were all square pixels...

I need this DVD as a presentation tool for TV and a comp monitor.

Thx.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 5, 2009 at 8:22:13 pm

So your original footage is HD in AE? Are the sides cropped out in the comp, or is it letterboxed?

Regarding Flash, it only supports square pixels. And you exported an AVI/MOV from Flash?

Do you want a 4:3 project, or 16:9? I'd think the latter would be better suited, but if that's not what you want, you'll have some work to do in AE.

Return to posts index

Brian E.W. McNulty
on May 5, 2009 at 8:27:31 pm

The sides are cropped out in AE. Yes, flash is square-pixel based so not too concerned with that one, just the .mov and .avi that I created in AE at 720x480. Do I have to make them 720x540 and when it goes into Encore it will compress the file to 720x480? Someone mentioned this...

Yes, I want the file at 4:3. Where else in Encore would it allow me to get the correct ratio? When I click on the button that says, "Correct Menu Pixels for TV Display", that's really what it looks like. Even after I make sure the "Interpret Footage" is correct and "Edit Quality Presets" are correct.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 5, 2009 at 8:50:42 pm

If you have an NTSC DV 4:3 project in AE and your HD video is cropped, then when you export, it should already be 720x480 with PAR of 0.9. The video you export should display correctly in Encore as 4:3 SD video by default, with no need to add PAR correction from Encore.

This is not the case?

You should also import your Flash video into an NTSC DV 4:3 DV project, crop it to the 4:3 frame there, and export this as 720x480 with PAR of 0.9.

Return to posts index

Brian E.W. McNulty
on May 5, 2009 at 8:54:09 pm

It will show correctly actually on screen unless I see what it will look like on TV settings (button I mentioned). That's just a viewer though and doesn't do anything to the aspect ratio. When I play the video's separate they are correct. When in Encore and built they become what appears to me as a square-pixel aspect ratio...even though it isn't.

I will try the Flash conversion as well. Thx.

The video's that aren't showing correctly indicate that the PAR being used is correct as well.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 5, 2009 at 9:29:58 pm

Any chance you could post some screenshots somewhere and link them to here so I can see what you're talking about?

Return to posts index

Brian E.W. McNulty
on May 5, 2009 at 9:44:12 pm

I believe the image uploaded correctly. It shows the screen size is 655x480.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 5, 2009 at 9:53:02 pm

Is there a link?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]