FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subtitles showing up in black area of letterbox

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pepe Sanchez
Subtitles showing up in black area of letterbox
on May 4, 2009 at 4:34:23 pm

Hi, I need help desperately. I'm creating subtitles for some movies to be shown on a film festival. I use DVD decrypter to demux the original DVD and use only the main video and audio track of the movie to add the subtitles on encore. When the aspect ratio of the video is 4:3 everything is fine, there's no problem with the subtitles. But, I have some movies that DVD Decrypter names as "16:9 Letterboxed", and these are the ones I have trouble with. When I'm creating the subtitles in encore it seems to be ok, I see the subs placed correctly on screen where I want them to be. But then I create the DVD. When I watch it on my pc everything is normal (I use Corel WinDVD 9 to do it) I see the subs on screen nicely. But when I play the DVD on a standard DVD player (no matter what brand or quality) I see the subtitles on the "letterbox" part of the screen, I mean, on the black bands above and below the movie itself. The subtitles appear on the lower black band. I hope you understood my problem. It's very urgent, please, I have to give in the DVD's next friday and I'm stuck on this. I need the subtitles to be shown on the movie itself...

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Subtitles showing up in black area of letterbox
on May 4, 2009 at 5:23:05 pm

It sounds like what you are seeing is normal. If you are watching on a widescreen TV, make sure your dvd player has it's settings set to output to a widescreen tv. As long as this setting is correct, your subtitles should be displayed normally.

I remember on some old dvd's that didn't use anamorphic widescreen (they just added the black bars to a 4x3 video), when you played it on a widescreen tv, you would have to "Stretch" the image to fill the entire screen, however this would cause the subtitles to be cut off.

As long as your sources are 16x9 anamorphic, you are watching on a widescreen tv, and your dvd player is set to output to a widescreen tv, everything you see is normal.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Pepe Sanchez
on May 4, 2009 at 7:24:35 pm

Yeah! thanx a lot man! you really saved my life, I mean it. I'm so nervous about the festival, that I didn't set the DVD to 16:9, quite obvious, but I passed over it. Thanks again and a hundred times thanks. I posted another problem I have with two movies (short films actually) that encore won't let me create the DVD. It keeps saying that the mpeg file is not valid. I only extracted it directly from the original dvd and did no transcoding to it. I think there's something wrong with the original file, but it could be something I've done (I don't think so, 'cause I'd already created 25 movies for the event and only two of them are problematic)

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on May 5, 2009 at 2:04:51 am

Are the dvd's copy protected? If so, it's possible that part of their protection is a slightly corrupted vob so that you can't easily rebuild it.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Pepe Sanchez
on May 5, 2009 at 6:15:26 am

I don't know, I'll have to check it. If you were right, would it be anything I could do to solve it? If not, what else could I do. I'm thinking on trying another authoring software, hopefully it'll work

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]