FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opening old CS2 Projects

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Joyce
Opening old CS2 Projects
on Apr 28, 2009 at 11:33:54 pm

I am trying to open several complex Encore CS2 projects. I've just got CS4 on a new PC w/ Vista. Can I open the CS2 projects in CS4 somehow? I get the error, "Folder not found" Can I have Encore CS2 on the new PC along with CS4? I really need to continue opening and changing these projects (they have 8 languages and subtitles etc so reauthoring would be tremendously time consuming).

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Opening old CS2 Projects
on Apr 29, 2009 at 12:20:29 am

The project file alone is not enough -the project folder must be in the same folder as the file before you can open it in Encore.

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on Apr 29, 2009 at 2:43:06 am

Joe,
I believe I had everything needed in the same folder (audio/video, subtitles, graphics, Project etc.)
Would instaling & opening these CS2 projects into CS3 be possible and would they then more likely be openable into CS4?

Could I run CS2 inside of Vista or can you think of any other work arounds?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 29, 2009 at 4:01:47 pm

Ted, you need the project file and its project folder.

For instance, if your project was named "My DVD" you'd need these two items to be in the same folder before you could open it in Encore:

My DVD.ncor
My DVD (this is the project folder)

Have you got the project file and project folder in the same folder?

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on Apr 29, 2009 at 6:37:24 pm

We moved the all files and the named project into the same file & still get the same message. We also tried opening CS4 & importing the assets but it won't import them. Do I understand correctly that CS2 will not run under Vista?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 29, 2009 at 7:13:32 pm

Encore 2.0 will probably not install under Vista.

Encore 2.0 projects should open without problems in Encore CS4 - in fact, I've done it. But the project structure must be as I described in my other posts.

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
Opening old CS2 Projects
on Apr 29, 2009 at 9:05:10 pm

Your are right!! Thanks for your patience. It now opens one of two CS2 projects. I had put all files and the .nor project all in the same folder which isn't was you were saying. Once we put the .nor and an identically named folder, it located the folder and opened one of the two projects. However we did the identical process with a second project and we get a different error, "File path not found" rather than the old error of "unable to locate folder." Any idea of what we might be doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 29, 2009 at 9:18:10 pm

Where do you get the new error? During the launch, or after the project opens?

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on Apr 29, 2009 at 9:37:40 pm

In the middle of opening the error occurs.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 29, 2009 at 9:32:45 pm

What you need is the project file and the original project folder.

If you have those, it should open without error. If you don't have the original project folder, you're working with damaged goods, sorry to say.

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on Apr 29, 2009 at 10:07:00 pm

OK, We are going to setup a lean folder in our CS2 system of the .ncor file and an identically named folder with all the other files in it, be sure it still opens, then move it into the CS4 system and try opening it.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 29, 2009 at 9:55:00 pm

Make sure you use the folder that Encore creates automatically as part of the project - project file, project folder.

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on May 1, 2009 at 6:46:01 pm

I got the original folder and tried several times w/ both CS2 projects and now neither open in CS4. I might try a different simpler CS2 project. Thanks for your effors.

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on May 1, 2009 at 8:50:30 pm

We get this error report when opening our complex CS2 projects in CS4 : "Proxy stream does not support requested functionality." CS4 seems to open simple projects properly.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 1, 2009 at 9:44:37 pm

What is in your complex Encore 2.0 projects?

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on May 1, 2009 at 10:56:17 pm

It has one video track, one audio track and 8 subtitle tracks, menue w/ motion video and audio and buttons for all the subtitles.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 1, 2009 at 11:05:52 pm

Eight subtitle tracks...I have a very strong feeling that's where the trouble lies.

I'd guess that if you did a SaveAs to create a duplicate of the project, then deleted all the subtitle tracks that this would open fine in CS4. And there may or may not be a number of subtitle tracks that come over from Encore 2.0 without error, but I don't know what that number would be or if it is even greater than one.

If you did the subtitles in a script editor, you could try importing them into a CS4 project.

But unless you want to do a lot (and I mean a lot) of trouble-shooting to get to the root of the problem, I'd suggest you not bring that type of project forward from Encore 2.0 to CS4.

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on May 1, 2009 at 11:21:32 pm

We did the subtitles in Word & imported them which we could do again in CSR w/out too much trouble. However we spent a lot of time laying them out in the frame for each subtitle of each language which would have to be repeated. Is there any practical way of exporting all of these out of CS2 in a way that could be imported into CS4 with their layout preserved?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 1, 2009 at 11:30:21 pm

Sorry, but no - there's no way to export subtitles from Encore prior to CS4 - that was a new feature added to CS4.

I do think you're better off doing the extra work to make it in Encore CS4. Otherwise, you could probably keep going with it in Encore 2.0, and reserve CS4 for your new work.

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on May 3, 2009 at 1:21:27 am

thanks Joe for your time. Quick question: for longform HD PP4 projects we are considering either Axio LE or cineform w/ an AJA card. We do a lot of color corretion, vari speeds, dissolves and lower third titles and multi camera editing which we really want to play smoothly. (rendering for perfect final HD SDI output is OK but not for normal playback) We suspect Axio being almost 2X more $ will easily outperform Cineform.

Any advice?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 3, 2009 at 1:02:03 pm

Sorry Ted...I have no advice I can offer on that particular question since I have no experience with either card.

Hopefully, someone else can jump in here...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]