FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating chapters in Encore CS3 for Blu-ray

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler McPherron
Creating chapters in Encore CS3 for Blu-ray
on Apr 28, 2009 at 6:52:41 pm

I'm pretty familiar with DVD Studio Pro, but a new Blu-ray endeavor has brought me into the realm of Encore. My biggest issue so far has been getting the chapter markers to work. My disk only needs the bare bones: a menu with a play button and one timeline with about 10 chapters.

I've gone through the timeline and picked out the places where I want a chapter mark, placing the chapter markers on the nearest GOP frame. Now, when I preview the disk and try to "jump" forward to the next chapter, I only get a few frames of the next chapter. The preview then resumes playing from the point which I tried to "jump" forward from. I'm sure there is more I need to do in order to program the chapter markers, but I'm not sure what. Any suggestions?

Also, I've read that Encore's chapter playlists do not work with Blu-ray, so I've ruled that out.

Does anyone know of a tutorial on Encore chapter markers for Blu-ray?

If its any use to you, I'm working on a Mac Pro 8-core with 16GB RAM, running OSX Leopard. Final Cut Studio and Adobe Production Suite CS3 are installed and all programs have recently been updated.

Thanks and cheers!

-T

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Creating chapters in Encore CS3 for Blu-ray
on Apr 28, 2009 at 8:10:59 pm

Do you have any overrides in your project?

Also, have you burned a BD-RE and tested it in a Blu-ray player?

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 28, 2009 at 8:19:51 pm

Encore's preview of Blu-ray projects is not very good. Problems such as you are describing happen frequently, especially while previewing the actual menus. These issues are almost always in the preview only, and not the final build. Try burning to a BD-RE disc to test it out, or better yet, build an image and use a software blu-ray player to test.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Tyler McPherron
on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:04:38 pm

Jon,

Thanks for the heads up on the preview problems. I'll go ahead and give it a shot, despite what the Encore preview shows.

Sounds like I need to invest in a BD-RE disk or a software Blu-ray player. Any suggestions on the software Blu-ray player?

-T

Return to posts index

Todd Bangerter
on Apr 29, 2009 at 10:30:04 am

There is no Blu-ray software player for Mac OS X at this time.

Given the high cost of BD-R discs, I would say a BD-RE disc is a necessity at this point for testing.

Return to posts index

Tyler McPherron
on Apr 29, 2009 at 4:33:48 pm

Jon was right. I encoded the BDMV folder from Encore with chapters included, despite what the preview showed. I used Toast 10 Titanium to burn a BD-R (for lack of having any BD-RE's right now) and the chapters turned out just fine.

Next step, buy some BR-RE disks!

Thanks for the help.

-T

Return to posts index

Tyler McPherron
on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:11:45 pm

Joe,

Thanks for your response. I do not have any overrides in the project.

I have successfully built a Blu-ray BDMV folder in Encore. I then burned a BD-R of the BDMV folder using Toast 10 Titanium and a LaCie D2 Blu-ray burner. The disk played fine in two different Blu-ray payers, no problems there. Of course, there were no chapters because the glitchy Encore preview left me too weary to encode chapter markers into the project.

-T

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]