FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Can I Return To The Main Menu?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wendall Woodbury
How Can I Return To The Main Menu?
on Apr 25, 2009 at 5:10:59 am

I've built a main menu in Encore, with moving background and 6 chapters with moving video in each button. I also have a 'must view first' Overview chapter, which automatically starts when the DVD is inserted in a player. After the viewer watches a specific chapter, and it ends, they are returned to the main menu. That's fine. BUT, if the viewer wants to return to the main menu, while viewing a chapter, they can't. Instead the viewer is taken back to the very beginning Overview chapter. I want to build in the ability to return to the main menu of 6 chapters at ANY time. What action must be taken to accomplish that?

Thanks for any help. I've tried everything!

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: How Can I Return To The Main Menu?
on Apr 25, 2009 at 12:03:48 pm

Set the Menu Remote property for the timeline to link to the main menu.

Also, make sure that all overrides are removed from your project.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on Apr 25, 2009 at 2:52:45 pm

Thanks Jeff. I figured it out about 5 minutes after sending the question. I keep learning new things about this amazing program!

Another question, if I may. I am using a project, which I had saved earlier (with the 6 menu chapters & titles already built.) I also kept the same moving background and Main Menu layout and just imported new video segments, plus an overview chapter, which in reality is exactly the same as chapter 1. I set the Overview as first play. The project tests fine in preview, but when I burn the DVD and play back on a DVD player it opens the Overview and goes to the main menu okay (although it seems like a long wait, probably 4 seconds or so.)

Then when finally on the main menu I'm getting one chapter which will play fine, but the next sticks on opening, another one is without audio and yet anohter one plays in a staccato manner. Then when I played the DVD on a second, more expensive DVD player it wouldn't even open! It also plays back on one computer's DVD player, but not the next. Something is not right, although the Flowchart says everhing is fine.

I'm wondering if it might be the pre-built menu I used. Do I need to start all over again and re-build the main menu, re-import the moving backkground etc. Or, is there another possible reason for all of the aberrations?

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 25, 2009 at 7:51:22 pm

Playback problems like you are describing are usually caused by using bad discs (try using a different brand such as verbatim, taiyo yuden, TDK, sony), or by burning too fast. You should never burn faster than 4x for single layer, and 2.4x for dual layer. A cheap burner might also give you some problems.

Your burned disc should play back just like it previews, with the exception of how blu-ray projects preview (blu-ray previews are not a very accurate representation of your final build).

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on Apr 26, 2009 at 12:28:52 am

Yes, I have learned from past experience that you only use a good brand name disc, so I only use taiyo yuden. For the most part, they seem to work very well. But, this was the last one on the spindle and these are not the premium brand, although I've had good luck with them. I also use the new shiny surface discs. At any rate, I did re-burn with a new disc and everything appears to be okay.

But, what you said regarding the burning speed is a good point. I have been burning at 8X. The burner is a 'Lightscribe' that came with the Systemex computer. I haven't had any major problems with it, so I suspect it was indeed just a bad disc. But, I will burn at 4X from now on, just to be sure.

Thanks for the tips and to Jeff as well. I appreciate the information. After many months the project is finally finished, with great relief on my part!

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 26, 2009 at 3:03:04 am

Even if you have a burner and media that supports 16x speeds, you will most likely have lots of errors on anything that is burned faster than 4x. Even though redundancy is built into the data on the disc, with lots of errors you will make the player have to do a lot more seeking to get all the data it needs... and sometimes it will not be able to get all of it and will skip.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Wendall Woodbury
on Apr 26, 2009 at 3:53:37 am

Knowing that, I MOST definitely will only use 4X from now on. In fact, I may even re-do the present master that way, just to be sure. Thanks.

Wendall

Filmmaker42

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]