FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro versus Encore?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gina Willis
DVD Studio Pro versus Encore?
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:27:52 pm

So, my office is having trouble with DVD's created on DVD STudio Pro. The entire office is a mac based community (at work) and we have had issues with some of them not playing on PC's. We have to be able to have them play back on all machines new and old, mac or pc. Someone suggested that the problem lie in the suite we use. One of our guys says Encore wouldn't have these problems.
Right now , some of our clients are having to download VLC just to watch the DVD's..
So, DVD Studio Pro or Encore...?

Thanks ,
Gina

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: DVD Studio Pro versus Encore?
on Apr 24, 2009 at 3:44:19 pm

As far as I know DVDSP is perfectly capable of producing DVDs that can play on DVD players.

What actually is happening on the systems having problems? Codec error? Or is the disc not being recognized?

Return to posts index

Gina Willis
on Apr 24, 2009 at 3:47:58 pm

usually if they are pc users and the machine is older than a year , they either have to update software or download VLC. While I'm not opposed to them doing this, they really don't know what they are doing. they are just end users and probably have to go through some IT to be able to download this software. Just wondering if the boss needs to have a separate machine just for encodes.(DVD's)...
thanks for your input..

Thanks ,
Gina

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 24, 2009 at 4:10:38 pm

Windows XP needs to have a dvd software program to play DVD's. Authoring in Encore will not change this issue. Although I feel Encore is a better authoring program for what I use it for (motion menus created in After Effects and photoshop menu templates), I don't think using it will resolve your issue.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 24, 2009 at 5:22:19 pm

Yeah, it sounds like it's probably an issue with MPEG-2 not being licensed by default on Windows systems.

Nothing you can do about that, Gina...except maybe either convince them to install a software DVD player or get a Mac. :)

Return to posts index

Gina Willis
on Apr 25, 2009 at 2:41:56 pm

See, I think they should GET A MAC!!! hahah... anyway, somethings gotta give, we want to have at least a 90% playback rate and while we are, it's annoying that some people out there can't see our DVD. I thought perhaps it was because we were going through compressor? But I just make a qt then DVDSP does all the work for me, whereas my co-worker strongly believes you have to use compressor first then put it in DVDSP..

Thanks ,
Gina

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 25, 2009 at 7:43:13 pm

Either way you do it, it should still be creating a dvd compliant mpeg file. If you go through compressor first, you have more options and can potentially create a better quality file.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Gina Willis
on Apr 25, 2009 at 10:40:39 pm

Joe, I hear what your saying, and I can maybe understand, but at the same time it took a 6 minutes piece 4 hours to pass through compressor. Yes, it was heavy with graphics and such, but i thought it was a 3:1 ratio. definitely not the case. anyway, thanks for the answer thus far. I've definitely been listening and will pass on the info..

Gina

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 26, 2009 at 12:16:59 am

I know Encore's built-in encoder (Adobe Media Encoder, MPEG-2 by MainConcept) is faster than that - SD video is usually just a bit slower than real-time for me, so that an hour of video takes just over an hour to encode.

Return to posts index

Gina Willis
on May 20, 2009 at 5:56:03 pm

Hey Joe, so have you upgraded to CS4? I recently did and have noticed a few significant changes in the interface of Encoder. Also, some changes in the output of the video. I have been playing around with it, trying different settings for FLV. Tried the default settings, and get almost the same as the custom settings I built. I was under the impression that if I increase the KBPS i would get a better, clearer flash. I get a real nice picture quality, but the lower thirds I placed are crummy. looks real pixelated!! You experience this at all?

Thanks ,
Gina

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 20, 2009 at 6:07:07 pm

Hi Gina - I do have CS4, but I admit that I've only done a few Flash exports with it and none with lower-third graphics.

Everything looked OK for me, but again, I had no lower-third overlay content.

Return to posts index

Gina Willis
on May 20, 2009 at 6:10:50 pm

so what was your settings? do you use VBR? mulit pass or single..?

Thanks ,
Gina

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 20, 2009 at 9:04:51 pm

You're exporting to Flash from Encore, right? I just use the settings in the Build panel - each one I used gave acceptable results. I haven't encoded any FLV files in Adobe Media Encoder yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]