FORUMS: list search recent posts

5.1 Audio on Encore CS4 - Help Please!

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Andrews
5.1 Audio on Encore CS4 - Help Please!
on Apr 23, 2009 at 9:05:01 am

Hi

I am trying to include a 5.1ch audio track on a Blu-ray disc authored using Encore CS4 but having tried various file formats and encoding methods etc, I only seem to be able to get Dolby 2.0 (Stereo) when playing the disc.

I realise Encore will not encode 5.1ch itself and that I need to provide a pre-encoded 5.1ch file, I thought I had done this (several times!) but am still getting the same result.

I'll explain what files I am using and what I have tried so far and am hoping someone can tell me where I am going wrong or what process I should be using.

My original files are HD Transport Stream (.ts) files and I have demuxed these to .m2v video files and .ac3 audio files. I think eventually I used ProjectX to split them but I'm not 100% sure as I tried various programs!

I have tried importing the .ac3 files directly into Encore but I end up with stereo sound on my blu-ray disc.

From what I can tell, the .ac3 files are 5.1ch 48khz audio.

In Encore, it seems a little strange but with an audio file selected in the Project window, I don't seem to be able to select 'Dont Transcode' from the Properties window and the list of transcoding options seem to relate more to the video than audio. This may be normal but it seemed a bit odd to me.

I then tried changing the .ac3 files to WAV using HeadAC3he which also shows the AC3 file as being 5.1ch. Exported/converted WAV files show in Windows as being 6ch WAV but after writing the Blu-ray in Encore, I still end up with 2ch stereo.

I have also tried selecting PCM in the Project Settings and although it did change the audio track to PCM, it was still only 2ch stereo.

The final thing I have tried is to use a Surcode DTS encoder but that just gave me static!

If anyone can point me to where I am going wrong, that would be great as this is driving me mad! Everything else on my blu-ray disc works as I want it so its just this 5.1ch sound left to sort.

Regards.
David

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: 5.1 Audio on Encore CS4 - Help Please!
on Apr 23, 2009 at 2:12:34 pm

You cannot let Encore re-encode the audio file for any reason. You must leave it as the ac3 file from your demux process. You are probably getting the correct audio stream when you demux, but you should double check, because sometimes dvd's will contain both 2ch and 5.1 channel streams, and you must select the correct one.

Double check your timeline in encore to make sure you don't have multiple clips lined up, and make sure the video starts at the very beginning of the timeline (don't try and add a little space at the beginning), otherwise encore will need to re-encode the audio, and it will be 2ch.

If you don't give encore a reason to transcode it, it won't, and your clip will remain 5.1ch.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

David Andrews
on Apr 23, 2009 at 2:45:27 pm

Hi Jon

Thanks for you reply.

My original transport stream was split into 5 parts due to its size so after the demux I actually have 5 .m2v video files and 5 .ac3 audio files which I have placed one after another on the main timeline.

Could this be the problem? If it is, is there a recommended tool for combining the files into a single video file and a single ac3 audio file?

I don't think there is a 2ch stream in the file, I believe it only had a surround audio stream. It was originally an HD stream sent to cinemas from a live concert.

It sounds like Encore is re-encoding the audio for some reason but I am not sure how to stop this.

David

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Joe Bowden
on Apr 23, 2009 at 2:57:02 pm

[David Andrews] "I actually have 5 .m2v video files and 5 .ac3 audio files which I have placed one after another on the main timeline. "

That's your problem, right there.

AC3 files have null data blocks at the end of their file structure. When they are added together in a timeline, they will gradually introduce a loss of sync with video.

In order to address this problem, Encore decompresses multiple AC3 files in a timeline to raw audio, and then recompresses these clips into a single AC3 file, which eliminates the problem with a loss of synchronization if otherwise unaddressed.

The problem is of course that Encore's AC3 encoder is Dolby Digital 2.0 only, and this is why your clips are being re-transcoded.

The solution is either to combine the 5.1 AC3 files elsewhere to a single 5.1 AC3 file (sorry, I don't have any specific suggestions, but there may be freeware tools that can do this - start at videohelp.com), or use separate timelines for each video/audio pair.

Return to posts index

David Andrews
on Apr 23, 2009 at 3:11:26 pm

Thanks Joe.

I've done some searching for AC3 joiners so I have a few things to try. Hopefully I won't encounter video/audio sync issues afterwards. Its not perfect at the moment (original wasn't perfect to begin with) but its acceptable considering the source material.

As long as there isn't a delay in moving from one timeline to another, that may also work so I'll also give that a try.

Regards.
David

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 23, 2009 at 3:59:50 pm

If you didn't want to join them, you could create a separate timeline for each clip, then use a Playlist (not a chapter playlist) to have them all play in sequence.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

David Andrews
on Apr 24, 2009 at 8:16:37 am

Hi Jon / Joe

Thank you both so much for your help.

I have joined the 5 AC3 files into a single file, re-imported it into Encore and now have a 5.1ch Dolby Digital track for my blu-ray, which is fantastic.

Regards.
David

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 24, 2009 at 3:30:59 pm

Very cool.

Would you mind sharing which tool you combined the AC3 files with (for future reference)?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
David Andrews
on Apr 24, 2009 at 10:21:57 pm

Hi Joe

Yeah, sorry, I should have included some detail in my last post.

In the end I didn't use a tool, I found a number of pages detailing how to use the basic DOS copy command with the /b switch so I tried that and it worked!

Basically, if you have, for example, three .ac3 files called part1.ac3, part2.ac3 and part3.ac3.

Open a command prompt, change to the directory where the ac3 files are located and type:

copy /b part1.ac3+part2.ac3+part3.ace completefile.ac3

This will create a new file called completefile.ac3 which is the other three joined together.

I believe this also works with the .m2v video files as well but I haven't needed to join those.

Regards
David

Return to posts index

Stuart Baker
on Dec 11, 2009 at 2:27:37 pm

David, Jon, Joe,

Thank you for this post. It is enormously helpful.

David I am curious about how you used DOS to combine the AC3 files. Did you do this in Windows XP running a DOS terminal window? I'm surprised you were able transcode/combine the AC3 files with a simple DOS command. Was it really as simple as that, or am I missing a detail here?

Thanks,

Stuart

Return to posts index

David Andrews
on Dec 11, 2009 at 3:35:39 pm

Hi Stuart

It feels like a long time ago when I posted the messages above!

I was using Vista at the time but the command is a DOS command, so basically you go into XP, Vista or Winodws 7 as normal, then open a command prompt, move to the directory you have your AC3 files stored in and type the command.

For example (from my post on Apr 24, 2009 at 10:21:57):

copy /b part1.ac3+part2.ac3+part3.ac3 completefile.ac3

See my post above for a full description of the command and filenames etc.

There isn't any transcoding or anything much going on. the /b parameter on the copy command is for binary copy. This means it isn't doing anything with the content of the files, just simply appending one to another.

The operation is almost instant.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

Stuart Baker
on Dec 11, 2009 at 3:54:09 pm

Thanks, David. It sounds all too easy. I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it shakes out.

Best,

Stuart

Return to posts index

Tommy DAquino
5.1 Audio on Encore CS4
on May 26, 2011 at 1:44:50 pm

I've got an HD MPEG-2 and a Dolby 5.1 AC3 in Encore for output to Blu-Ray. However, it's only outputting a stereo audio track. The client had added some title slates to the front end of the project, lengthening the video track, without lengthening the audio file. I had to manually find a synch point in the audio which synch's up and starts at about 28 seconds in to the video.

My question is, since the audio and video aren't 1-to-1 for the entire length of the piece, is that causing Encore to decompress the AC3 file and re-render it to the length of the video file?

Thanks!
-Tommy

Return to posts index

Stuart Baker
Re: 5.1 Audio on Encore CS4
on May 27, 2011 at 6:07:24 am

I am unsure what is happening with the lengthening of your audio, but I can tell you that if your timeline has multiple AC3 clips in the audio track, Encore needs to transcode your audio into a single file for muxing. Your 5.1 audio then becomes a stereo file, as Encore does not support the AC3 license for 5.1 encoding. At least that's my understanding as to why, but the facts are certainly true: If you want to stay in 5.1 when you author, you need to have a single AC3 5.1 file in each timeline- no edits. I hope this is helpful.

Return to posts index

Tommy DAquino
on May 27, 2011 at 1:19:13 pm

No... I've only got one AC3 file. It's just that it isn't exactly the same length as the video. In a 1 hr program, the audio file is about 30 seconds shorter than the video (at the head) and when I build the project, it's only outputting a stereo signal.

Is there anyway to check to ensure that the file (the AC3) the client sent is a 5.1 file? I don't know that I have anything on the Mac to check that.

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Jan 13, 2012 at 8:54:58 am

i found this thread really helpful, thanks to all involved. I had exactly the same problem putting all clips on the same timeline. I'm pretty confident if I join them I'll get sync issues due to the length (over an hour) of the disc, but I'll play around and if it does not work I'll try to use separate timelines.

The only remaining issue I have is using 5.1 ac3 files for animated menu audio... is this possible? I'm having real problems getting the audio to play, fine when I use a wav, but when I clear cache and replace the wav with an ac3, it doesn't play

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]