FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interactive business card?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark hall
Interactive business card?
on Apr 22, 2009 at 2:38:08 am

Hi, I would like to create a interactive business card for my company and I was wondering which program out of the Adobe suite would get this job done. Is this possible in Adobe Encore or should I be looking into Adobe Flash? I am new to the Adobe suite but have used Photoshop for years. I am willing to learn what is necessary and not worried about the learning curve.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Interactive business card?
on Apr 22, 2009 at 4:23:45 am

What did you have in mind for interactivity and content?

Return to posts index

mark hall
on Apr 22, 2009 at 11:30:14 pm

I want them to be able to navigate via links, read on screen info, and text and graphic animation . Also if using the dvd on a computer if its possible to embed a link to a url and also email.

Return to posts index

Heath Firestone
on Apr 22, 2009 at 11:58:13 pm

If you use Encore, you are limited to the features supported by a DVD authoring program, but it isn't too difficult to learn. Another thing to consider is that in Encore, you can author the DVD, or export to flash, which creates the player interface, and acts the same as the DVD, just at lower data rates, encoded to MPEG4. You are limited on control over data rates, and more advanced controls in the player menu, but it's not a bad option if you can live with those restrictions.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 23, 2009 at 4:10:22 pm

If you create it in Encore, you have the advantage that anyone who has a dvd player can view it... no computer necessary. If it's flash, it must be viewed on a computer.

The disadvantage to encore is that it doesn't support linking to url's or content on the disc, and it has a fixed resolution of 720x480 (NTSC) assuming it will be SD. If you go this route, you could create some impressive motion graphics using After Effects to incorporate into the Encore Authoring.

The Adobe Flash program was originally designed by macromedia, so the entire program looks very different than all the other adobe apps, and has a steeper learning curve because of this.

You will probably want to go with the format that the majority of your potential customers will be able to view. My guess is that this will be the Encore/DVD route, but you may disagree.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Jay Morales
on Apr 23, 2009 at 5:15:40 pm

I'm also working on this project with Mark. We have already bumped into the limitations that you speak of and have been trying to work around them. For example, getting out PSD template (with font) to look clearer and legible on a TV and computer via DVD. We sort of figured out that we had to work in a slightly larger canvas and then sample down to the native TV resolutions to get a better over all quality. I guess we are at least understanding this much.

We would appreciate more of your help if you are willing to spare it. The first question regarding DVD limitations is the URL issue. We were planning on embedding links within the presentation; however, Encore does not have this feature. I have DVD Studio Pro and this feature is available though I wonder how it works cross platform? DVDSP is for Apple and the DVD@ccess feature works flawlessly when I try it on my mac, but I don't know how this works out when the end user is on a Windows machine. Any experiences with this?

We are fairly new to the rest of the adobe suit (After Effects, Encore) we know Photoshop fairly well and have some experience with the Final Cut Studio package. How hard would it be for us to learn After Effects and Encore? We would love to use Flash, but neither one of us know the language ActionScript so not too sure if this would even be an option for us.

We have seen presentations done on CD which has most of what we are looking for but figured it was done in Flash or Director and neither one of us are coders. Can a presentation be done in these programs without knowing code?

Our original plan was to make a template in Photoshop, then import it as layers (maybe via Final Cut) add simple effects and then burn via DVDSP (since it had the option for DVD@ccess).

Where do you all think we should go from here?

Thanks in advance your help and opinions are most appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 23, 2009 at 8:33:48 pm

Unfortunately I've only heard bad things about the DVD@ccess feature in DVD Studio Pro, causing big problems on the PC among other issues. I would advise against using it. It sounds like you want what the Adobe Director 11.5 Application offers.

I've only used an old version of director back when it was owned by macromedia, so I can't help you much with how to use the program, but I'm sure you can find a wealth of information by browsing the web.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Jay Morales
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:43:13 am

I have actually looked into Director 11.5, but I think the learning curve is a bit too steep having to learn the language Lingo. Would making a presentation in Director require me to learn Lingo?

How do most people learn these languages (Lingo, Actionscript) anyway? Are they just tags like in HTML and once you find the tags/commands for what you want to do you apply them? I have worked with HTML before. I know Flash/Director language is more difficult. Just wondering if I can pick up a book and learn enough to make a simple presentation.

Thanks for your suggestions we appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 24, 2009 at 3:40:01 pm

Lingo and ActionScript are scripting languages.

I don't know Lingo myself, but ActionScript is a lot like Java (not JavaScript) - in other words, it's an object-oriented programming language.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]