FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Encoder CS4 not saving bitrate settings

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Abney
Media Encoder CS4 not saving bitrate settings
on Apr 17, 2009 at 4:41:50 pm

Sorry if this is not the proper place to post this... there is not specific forum for the Media Encoder app.

My problem is with the MAC version of Adobe Media Encoder CS4.

I import a file to encode, select "H.264" from the format tab and "HDTV 1080p 2997 High Quality" from the Preset tab.

I then click on the preset to open the "Export Settings" window.
I scroll down to "Bitrate Settings" and change VBR to CBR and move the slider to 15Mbps. I then click "save" and save a new preset.

I start the encode and check out the finished H.264 file. It looks great but the bitrate is not 15Mbps.... it is 32Mbps.

So I go back and open my preset and that is where the problem is.... the Bitrate setting is still 35Mbps. So I slide it back down to 15Mbps and re-encode. Same thing. The resulting file is 32Mbps

I cannot create a CBR setting at 15Mbps and cannot figure out how to make a preset from "scratch".

Am I missing something simple here?
Any help appreciated.

Gonna try Compressor and see what happens.

Thanks,

-mark

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Media Encoder CS4 not saving bitrate settings
on Apr 17, 2009 at 5:44:15 pm

I think this is something that needs to be corrected in the AME.

Try switching to VBR and setting the target bit rate to 15 Mbps. *Then* go back to CBR and set the bit rate to 15 Mbps. IIRC, it should stick this time.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Mark Abney
on Apr 17, 2009 at 6:26:19 pm

Thanks Jeff,

That did the trick.

-mark

Return to posts index

Gina Willis
on May 20, 2009 at 6:01:34 pm

Mark, had a question for you. Why do you use theCBR setting. I recently upgraded to CS4 and am still working through the differences. I've noticed a few things, like even though I have a high KBPS rate (1500 + ) i'm still getting crappy looking graphics, (lower thirds, logos) and i've tried some things with the max bit rate, min bit rate, and the variable bit rate. I always do mulit- pass and try to make my key frame rate under 10. Nothing is helping.
So, i guess i'm really asking you two questions. Why not VBR and what settings do you use to make a nice flash under 15 mb with graphics that have little to no reduction in quality!!???

thanks,
Gina
you can email me direct at gina@veslex.com

Thanks ,
Gina

Return to posts index

Mark Abney
on May 20, 2009 at 7:15:00 pm

Hi Gina,

Reason I liked a CBR for this particular transcode was the content had lots of text graphics over solid color backgrounds. The VBR encodes would drop the bitrate way down at these points and I was seeing some artifacts around the edges. Using the CBR setting forced the bitrate up in these areas and the text graphics looked great.

Since every transcode is different,I can't really suggest settings to make your content look good.

Some things that can cause poor results are:
- bitrate too low
- poor scaling
- interlacing issues
- pixel aspect issues
- framerate issues

I would suggest playing around with some of the presets in AME and find one that gets you close.... then tweak that setting to dial in your final settings.

Good luck with your project.

-mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]