FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Playback

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stéphan Vuylsteke
DVD Playback
on Apr 17, 2009 at 3:13:11 pm

Hi,

My client asked me to burn my After Effects project onto DVD, because the club where the movie is shown has no other ways of showing a video.
I made 4 different versions to make sure at least one of them would work, but alas, none of them were recognized, and now I don't know how to fix this.

The versions I made:

1&2: .aep exported to Encore using Dynamic Link, with transcoding setting: PAL DV High Quality 8Mb CBR 1-pass, and burnt directly within Encore, on a Printable Verbatim DVD-R I forgot more specific type, bought them a long time ago) and on a Sentinel DVD+R
3: 1&2: .aep exported to Encore using Dynamic Link, with transcoding setting: PAL DV High Quality 4Mb VBR 2-pass, and burnt directly within Encore, on a DVD+R (I forgot brand and type)
4: Rendered within After Effects to .wmv, at a bitrate of about 500kBps, and transcoded using Nero Vision -> DVD Video. This was also burnt on a Printable DVD-R.

NONE of these 4 were recognized by the DVD Player, which was a Pioneer (couldn't get close enough to see the exact model).

How can I fix this problem, because next week the movie will be played again!

Thanks in advance,
Stéphan

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: DVD Playback
on Apr 17, 2009 at 4:14:01 pm

Do any of the discs play on ANY dvd player?

The first version you made seems to be the best. Does the disc preview ok in Encore? If so, try burning at a slower speed (4x max).

It's also possible that the dvd player is not compatible with burned media.

I would test the dvd on a different player that you know supports burned media (such as on the computer). If the disc works ok, then you know its a compatibility issue with the dvd player and you might have to use a different one.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Stéphan Vuylsteke
on Apr 17, 2009 at 4:38:15 pm

I have tested the DVD on two PC's, a Mac, an XBox Classic and the mentioned DVD player. All 4 DVD's played correctly on both PC's and on the Mac (although on the latter the colors had become quite darker), but none worked on the XBox and the DVD Player.

I'd highly doubt it that the DVD player isn't compatible with burned media, because that would make it 100% useless to what it's meant to be. My xbox also handles burned DVD's, because I have already been able to playback a couple of DVD's I burned myself. (And those DVD's were the earlier named Printable Verbatim DVD-R btw).

I had set the writing speed to 2x, so that can't be the problem either...

About the disc preview: I have just checked this, and yes, the preview works, but it goes awfully slow, because the rendering of the AE project is quite heavy (and unfortunately I do not have a mac pro or something like that)

Changing the DVD player is not an option, it has worked for other people already so they're just gonna say it's my fault.

Isn't it possible that the problem lies in the transcoding? The fact that only PC's and Mac have no problems reading it, tells me this might be codec-related? I'm not a pro on DVD authoring though, this is actually the first time I used Encore (I followed a tut on adobe.com)...

Thank you for your help!
Stéphan

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 17, 2009 at 9:50:23 pm

How much data is on the disc?

Return to posts index

Stéphan Vuylsteke
on Apr 17, 2009 at 9:57:24 pm

It's only 50-60MB, depending on the transcode settings. I did notice though that when I inspect the backsides of the DVD's, the amount that has changed color due to the burning process is MUCH more than I had expected, based on the 50/4700 ratio... Does this mean anything?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 17, 2009 at 9:58:51 pm

Yes - Encore has trouble closing a recordable DVD if the data on disc is less than 1 GB.

Try building a DVD image, and then burning that with another application such as ImgBurn. Or add content to the DVD-ROM section of the project so that your total disc size is over 1 GB.

EDIT: Encore CS3. Not sure if Encore CS4 has the same problem. Earlier versions of Encore do not have this problem.

Return to posts index

Stéphan Vuylsteke
on Apr 17, 2009 at 10:48:22 pm

But how does that explain that the wmv file, which I recoded using Nero Vision, isn't recognized either? I didn't ever use Encore for that render...

I'll give it a try though, maybe that DVD was just faulty or something.

Thanks! (BTW, can I also use Nero to burn it?)

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 17, 2009 at 11:14:06 pm

[Stéphan Vuylsteke] "BTW, can I also use Nero to burn it?"

Yes - you'll want Nero to burn from image, which will produce a DVD-Video disc.

Return to posts index

Jon Gulbrandson
on Apr 23, 2009 at 5:10:50 pm

Another thing you can try is reducing the CBR.. I know that I have run into issues w/ some DVD's players that can't handle anything over 7Mb CBR... Most new DVD players should be able to play anything 9.2Mb or less (If I recall correctly)... but older ones will have less compatibility... Try a super low number, just for diagnostic purposes, and see how that plays...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]