Chapter next functionality

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roen Davis
Chapter next functionality
on Apr 17, 2009 at 8:56:51 am

Hi All!

long time . . . :)

i am having a bit of trouble with my current v2.0 project: 1 menu, 8 sequences and a whole bunch of sub-requirements. the client is very keen to be able to "skip" (chapter next) which works fine for stand alone elements but once i have wrapped into a chapter play list the "skip" button is less predictable. they want to be able to go from end of play list to menu (main menu - there is only 1 menu!).
what we are getting at the moment is random chapter bits from timelines not contiguous - any tips? before they axe murder me.

cheers

roen

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Chapter next functionality
on Apr 17, 2009 at 3:55:40 pm

So let me try and understand what you are doing...

You have a main menu, with a button that links to a chapter playlist. The playlist consists of random chapters throughout 8 sequences and you want the chapter next button to take you back to the main menu when it has reached the end of the playlist?

I probably misunderstood something, please try and correct my assumptions. Then I might be able to help.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Roen Davis
on Apr 18, 2009 at 12:17:34 am

Hi Jon,
i have a forward vid that goes to main menu - it doesn't get seen again. the main has links to play all, play segs and some segs have segs within. i have tried with 8 timelines but i have now wrapped the 7 main segs into 1 timeline - either way it seems that if i Chapter skip from the forward it goes to the menu but if i chapter skip from any segs that are in a play list the DVD player just keeps finding chapters in a manner that seems a bit random. on the Encore preview modeler it skips to the menu fine but in the real world it doesnt. i have tried to argue that a chapter next button is for chapters and a menu button is for menus but they are insistent that it can be done.

roen

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 18, 2009 at 6:30:18 am

You cannot reprogram the chapter next button to go to the menu in encore. You can tell a sequence to go to the main menu when it reaches the end, so that when they press chapter next, and its the last chapter of the sequence, then it will go to the main menu.

I've only used the chapter playlist feature a handful of times so I'm not sure if mine exhibits the same issues with random chapters when skipping around using the chapter next button. It's possible that bug was fixed in a more recent version.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 18, 2009 at 2:49:42 pm

[Jon Geddes] "You cannot reprogram the chapter next button to go to the menu in encore."

That is a true and correct statement.

However, Encore since version 2.0 (I believe...maybe CS3) does execute the end action of a timeline, slideshow, or playlist when you are at the last chapter and press the Next button (it does this with fancy DVD scripting under the hood).

If your end action is a menu, then it would go to that menu.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]