FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the "professional" way to rip a DVD for reauthoring?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Milner
What's the "professional" way to rip a DVD for reauthoring?
on Mar 20, 2009 at 12:55:47 pm

Hi All,

I'm just wondering what other professionals do when the video content the client provides is a pre-authored DVD. We do a lot of re-authoring, either adding menu screens or chapter points. Unfortunately, clients often just send us a video DVD.

I have a couple ripping programs, but sometimes the quality lacks. Is there a better solution for getting video off a DVD?

Many thanks for the comments and advice.

Clint

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: What's the "professional" way to rip a DVD for reauthoring?
on Mar 20, 2009 at 3:34:00 pm

Do a search for DVD Decrypter, and then look for Jeff's tutorial on the Adobe Encore U2U forum.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Mar 20, 2009 at 4:04:05 pm

I'm curious as to why the "quality lacks". A ripper is suppose to extract the videos off the disc, bit for bit, without doing any kind of conversion. You will end up with the vob file which can then be demuxed into the m2v and ac3 files, which can then be brought into encore. The quality should be identical to the original on the disc, since it's not being altered at all.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
on Mar 23, 2009 at 9:27:48 am

Hi Jon and Joe,

Thanks for the replies. I think the main problem I have is when the main video stream spans multiple vob files. I know that once the vob's are copied from the disc, you can change the file names to .mpg and then use those again in Encore.

But for a few projects I have recently, I've noticed that the first and last 30 frames of each vob/mpg is usually corrupted, either not having sound, or the video has either green or red flashes that is really difficult to impossible to edit out.

Normally, I take all the mpgs into Premiere, try to get the best "seams" from one mpg to the other and then Dynamic Link it into Encore.

Clint

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
on Mar 23, 2009 at 9:28:42 am

Also,

Where is the Adobe Encore U2U forum? Is it on the Cow?

Thanks guys,
Clint

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 23, 2009 at 12:53:03 pm

It's Adobe's own Encore DVD User to User forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]