FORUMS: list search recent posts

Struggling mightily with disc not spinning up

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Norris
Struggling mightily with disc not spinning up
on Mar 13, 2009 at 1:14:19 am

Hi all, new to this forum, but been around the cow for 9 years, and sorry for the long post. Here's my problem. Did a HD show in FCP (1080x1920). Imported everything as I should to Encore (first time I used it though), futzed around for a while and have a great looking blu-ray! Now the problem. I learned that letting encore downconvert to SD widescreen is not the way to go because image is terrible. So, I set up a new sequence in FCP (a SD sequence), rendered it out, and imported into encore. Now, the burned discs will not spin up. Everything works great in encore's preview. no problems with check project.

This is a simple disc. Menu with "play" and a highlight (3 PSD layers). Import that as 1st play. Bring in the SD footage, checked all the settings that I know about in the transcode settings, dragged the timeline to the play button, entered my end actions- just like I did with the blu-ray, except it will not boot up (tried on 3 dvd players- one of them WILL boot, but only after a very long time). The disc I did letting encore do the downconvert boots up fine. I am at my witts end! I have used about 20 discs on tests. Need to get the project out tonight for replication tomorrow. ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

mac OS 10.5.2
8 gig ram
2- 3.2 quad-core Xeon
FCP, combustion, AE, the Adobe suites etc....

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Struggling mightily with disc not spinning up
on Mar 13, 2009 at 1:53:08 am

This sounds a lot like a blank media quality problem. What brand of blank media are you using?

Also, you should buy a few RW discs. Test burn your project using an RW disc - no more coasters.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

ron norris
on Mar 13, 2009 at 2:38:02 am

Jeff, thanks for the quick response! I use verbatim blank discs and burn at 4x (not higher speeds).

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Mar 13, 2009 at 3:34:48 am

OK, there shouldn't be any problem with the blank media. Verbatim is my second choice (Taiyo Yuden is first).

So let's take a look at what you did in FCP. (I'm a Windows guy, so please fill in the blanks if necessary.) What file format did you choose for exporting the downrezzed video? Did you use FCP or Compressor?

What settings did you use for video export? Frame size? Frame rate? Bit rate?

What format and settings did you use for the audio?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

ron norris
on Mar 13, 2009 at 3:51:44 am

Hi Jeff, thanks. Currently, I am re-doing the DVD in DVDSP, no other option since it has2go. I am recompressing the file in compressor right now (from FCP) just in case there was something wrong there. I would like to report back tomorrow on how things went.

But, here is what I did in FCP: Edited in ProRez HQ 1920x1080i. Took the final sequence, then set up another timeline/ sequence as a SD 720x486 and imported the final HD timeline into the SD timeline and rendered, then export that file, and imported into encore. I checked to make sure the fields were reversed since HD is upper and SD is lower in FCP.

This a 16:9 show.

What I did in encore would take some time since I was trying everything after a while. Again, it's the first one like this, so I am sure it is pilot error. The Blu-ray worked and looked great though! That is what is confusing, because I did basically the same thing except change all settings from HD to SD.

You are up late! Get some sleep!

Thanks
Ron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]