FORUMS: list search recent posts

Screenshot in menu

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Labossière
Screenshot in menu
on Mar 11, 2009 at 10:17:12 pm

Hi!

At the end of this semester, I will be finishing my scholarship in animation and I am responsible for creating the DVD compiling the short movies of my classmates and I. Our theme is a space odyssey and i had a concept for the menu but my knowledge is a bit limited... HELP!

Basically, what I wanted to do was to put all our names as buttons and when a name would be highlighted, a screen shot of that person's movie would appear in the glass part of an astronaut's helmet that would be on the right (as a background-ish element)

Is there any way to do this? Thanks a lot for your help!!

PS: please bear with my English mistakes...not my first language =P

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Screenshot in menu
on Mar 12, 2009 at 3:10:47 am

It is possible, however, it has it's limitations.

The way to accomplish this is to have separate menus for each button you highlight. You then make use of the auto-activate button feature to load the next menu when you try and navigate to the next button.

For instance, if you have 2 short movies, you would render out 2 menus, each with its own video/still in the glass. On the first menu, you have 2 buttons, one highlighting the short movie that is displayed in the glass, and an invisible button with auto-activate turned on, that tells it to go to menu 2, where you then highlight the other short movie, and have an invisible button for the previous menu.

If you are going to have lots of short movies, you will have to render out a separate menu for each button (I would advise not using audio as it will get annoying hearing it start over and over as you cycle through the buttons). You would then only have to create 2 invisible buttons per menu, one on each side of the highlighted button.

It can get a little complicated, but if you know what you are doing, its pretty easy to setup, just a lot of tedious work.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Julie Labossiere
on Mar 12, 2009 at 12:32:04 pm

Oh, thanks!

but, is there a way to do it by transforming the button itself as it is highlighted? Like for web sites for exemple, making a button as the name and then make a second version with the screeshot positioned under the astronaut as it is highlighted and using a mask or cache (I don't know how it's called in english...) on the helmet's glass?

It would give me much less menus to render... for there is 23 movies to fit in there.. :S

Return to posts index

Julie Labossiere
on Mar 12, 2009 at 1:55:38 pm

Oh nevermind!
I just catched on a part I didn't understand quite well, your way is much better ^_^;

Thank you so much!!

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Mar 12, 2009 at 5:40:18 pm

Actually my way is not better... its just the only way to do it with the limitations of the DVD spec.

It would be more efficient to have a single menu, with the ability to change the visibility of part of the menu instead of creating a new menu for each button... however the dvd specifications do not support that, so it must be done the way I explained before.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]