FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV to widescreen standard def DVD in Encore CS3

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chet Wesley
HDV to widescreen standard def DVD in Encore CS3
on Mar 2, 2009 at 5:05:44 am

Hi Everyone,
We are working on a project in HDV 16:9. We are making a DVD of it in standard definition.

I want to make sure the DVD works correctly on widescreen TVs with optimal resolution, as well as working on ordinary 4:3 TVs, being letterboxed automatically. I have never made a widescreen DVD before, only 4:3.

We are editing in premiere in 720P. What format should we export from premiere for the easiest setup of the DVD in encore? And then, is there anything special we need to do in encore? Or if we just make a timeline and drop in the 720P 16:9 file, will it just work out and make the proper 16:9 SD video for the DVD? Again, the DVD is not going to be in HD, we just shot it and edited it in that.

Thanks
CW

Return to posts index

John Rich
Re: HDV to widescreen standard def DVD in Encore CS3
on Mar 3, 2009 at 4:02:30 pm

If you don't mind, I had a couple of questions.
What system Mac vs Windows?
How did you wind up with 1280 x 720 P file?
Is the file .mpeg, .mov ,.avi ?

If you want to find up with a file 720x480 (1.2 PAR), you would have to scale yours down. There are several ways to do that, but one way would be to import your file into a widescreen Premiere SD project, and use the scaling in the Effects to bring the picture size down.
Then export using the Adobe media encoder with a Mpeg DVD preset and make sure you select widescreen.
Then import that into Encore and burn a folder, and burn the final DVD with ImgBurn. Just try a short test part of your file first.
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Mar 3, 2009 at 5:45:35 pm

I just wanted to add to what John said.

He is recommending to resize your HD video to SD by importing your HD video into an SD project and scaling it down, then using the adobe media encoder to make the mpeg dvd file. This is important because the adobe media encoder does a HORRIBLE job of downscaling. If you were to simply use the adobe media encoder from your HD project to make the mpeg dvd file, your encoded mpeg file will look like garbage, much worse than if you had shot the video in SD (almost as if it were shot at 320x240 and scaled up to 720x480). Using the method he mentioned, you will have MUCH better results. Although if you want the best possible downscaling, you would need to use a third party application such as Virtual Dub, which has a variety of resizing algorithms, and one especially that provides extremely good results.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Mar 3, 2009 at 6:09:59 pm

I'm sure you've seen these threads and this approach to downscaling as well
http://invertedhorn.axspace.com/hdv2dvd_basic.html.

Quite a while a go I got Cineform and I think it does a good job of downscaling my HDV footage, just using File-export-Movie in Premiere.

John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

César Marschoff
on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:19:47 pm

Hi. I'm working on a HDV 1080i 29.97 60i project on Premiere CS3. I want to make a DVD in Adobe Encore which can be played in any DVD player but getting the highest possible quality, cause my edit lasts just 4 or 5 minutes. Which are the steps you recommend?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Mar 4, 2009 at 5:24:43 am

What system Mac vs Windows?

Windows

How did you wind up with 1280 x 720 P file?

We shot in 720P HD

Is the file .mpeg, .mov ,.avi ?

We are editing in Premiere in HDV, which I believe is a MPEG (I am not editing, just dealing with the DVD). There are some graphics that are in MOV.

If you want to find up with a file 720x480 (1.2 PAR), you would have to scale yours down. There are several ways to do that, but one way would be to import your file into a widescreen Premiere SD project, and use the scaling in the Effects to bring the picture size down.
Then export using the Adobe media encoder with a Mpeg DVD preset and make sure you select widescreen.

So this is one aspect that I was not clear on - if I want a widescreen DVD, then I am exporting a 720x480 file, but with a widescreen pixel aspect ratio? And then make 16x9 timelines in encore to drop it into?

Likewise with the menu? Just make it a 16x9 menu, and it will render correctly to work with widescreen TVs when the DVD is made?

Thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Mar 4, 2009 at 8:05:26 pm

That is correct. 16:9 and 4:3 use the exact same resolution (720x480), the only difference is the Pixel Aspect Ratio which is set during the mpeg encoding process and in the authoring program.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer

Return to posts index

Marc Dewey
on Mar 10, 2009 at 12:42:12 am

I have a similar question - I already exported my 16:9 24p HDV Final Cut Pro project to a .m2v using the Compressor "DVD Best Quality 90 min." preset. I am then importing this into an Encore DVD project. I've already burned a test DVD but have run into problems.

What I want is to have 4:3 fullscreen menus, then have it switch to 16:9 widescreen for the video. Simple, right? In the preview window, it looks fine. When I try it on a computer DVD drive, it works - the menus are fullscreen & the video is widescreen. I've tried in a couple older set-top DVD players and they also worked fine.

However, with 2 of the newer set-top DVD players I've tried (Panasonic & Philips), they couldn't figure it out. They both had full-screen menus, but one of them squished the video to make it fullscreen. The other one just cut off the sides.

Should I use a different compression preset, or is there an Encore setting I might have wrong?

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Mar 10, 2009 at 2:43:58 am

Nothing is wrong with encore or the mpeg file, it is a setting with the dvd player and tv.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer

Return to posts index

Marc Dewey
on Mar 10, 2009 at 5:35:17 pm

Yes, I think you're right. With the Philips player, in the menu I changed the default to 16:9 and now it works fine. Thanks,

Marc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]