FORUMS: list search recent posts

subpicture slightly offset

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Buettner
subpicture slightly offset
on Feb 20, 2009 at 4:47:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I´ve already searched the forum, but the workarounds I found won´t work for me. The problem:
I´m on CS4, having a very simple menu just with text buttons. Now the hightlight is causing trouble, because it is always slightly offset. For e.g. it skips the last letter of the text button, thus not showing the overlay completely (blue text, orange overlay, last letter still blue). I´ve tried all this:
1. Create highlight in PS
2. Highlight using "Auto create subpicture highlight" checkbox
3. creating highlight via menu "Object/create subpicture"
4. convert button to oject, convert oject to button, object create highlight

None of the above worked. Also I flushed the media cache to have Encore rebuild everything. But to no avail.

Anything left that could be done?

cheers
Christian

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: subpicture slightly offset
on Feb 20, 2009 at 5:36:16 pm

1. Mac or PC?

2. Is this a brand-new menu in a brand-new CS4 project?

3. If the answer to #2 is no, try it and let us know what happens.

4. Is the problem *exactly* the same on every text button? IOW, is the last letter of text always "un-highlighted" and by exactly the same amount?

5. Do you get *exactly* the same results no matter which of the 4 methods you listed above were used?

6. Can you post screenshots? The menu viewer and the fully-expanded layers panel would be helpful.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Christian Buettner
on Feb 20, 2009 at 7:13:43 pm

Hi Jeff

1. Mac or PC?
Mac

2. Is this a brand-new menu in a brand-new CS4 project?
I´ve been working on that for some time know. I have this crazy client who wants about 80 pages on a dvd. told him a website would do better, but as long as I get payed?

3. If the answer to #2 is no, try it and let us know what happens.
I´ll try ...

4. Is the problem *exactly* the same on every text button? IOW, is the last letter of text always "un-highlighted" and by exactly the same amount?
Yes.

5. Do you get *exactly* the same results no matter which of the 4 methods you listed above were used?
Yes

6. Can you post screenshots? The menu viewer and the fully-expanded layers panel would be helpful.
I´ll try to send some tomorrow.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 20, 2009 at 7:25:08 pm

I just had an interesting thought.

Even though you've tried different ways to create the highlight layer, were all of your base menu and text layers created in Photoshop?

If so, do any/all of the layers have layer or vector masks?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Christian Buettner
on Feb 21, 2009 at 9:20:24 pm

Hi Jeff,

yep, all was done in PS by my client and than handed over to me. The buttons acutally did have a small orb-like object as a smart object to it and then the simple text layer. But even after converting/rasterizing the subpicture offset is still there.
I think I would need to delete that menu from the project and rebiuld it. And I hope this will help, because the project has to be finished on monday morning.
Every other menu works. There are about 30 menus and submenus on the DVD, but only this one is a troublemaker. Although it is made the same way.
mmmhhzzz

cheers
Christian

Return to posts index

Christian Buettner
on Feb 23, 2009 at 10:02:24 am

That didn´t work either. I have rebuild the menu, but still get this offset. Even when I do the text buttons completely in Encore. I will try to convince my client that arrows would do better. Besides ... what was the minimum text size for dvd? 18px? My buttons are all 14px.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 23, 2009 at 2:01:27 pm

16-18 px is the minimum recommendation for readability on an interlaced monitor.

I haven't followed the entire thread, but have you tried manually creating the subpicture layer from within Encore?

Return to posts index

Christian Buettner
on Feb 23, 2009 at 9:07:12 pm

Hi Joe,

yep I did that.
But I guess I´ve found the cause. At least I hope. But am I wrong by asuming that the source shouldn´t be square pixels? My client handed me 768x576, instead of 720x576 non square. I gave it a try by changing square to non ssquare, which gave better results.

Return to posts index

Christian Buettner
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:36:59 pm

Hi Jeff ...

just to let you know: meanwhile I figured out that my overlay problems are stranger than I thought, but I fixed them using Encore CS2.
After some testing I noticed, that the offest worsens the more I moved the buttons off the center of the image. The offset increased on both sides. Lets say I moved the buttons more to the left side, the overlay started to ignore the last text letters. Moving it to the right resulted in the first letters to not be overlayed correctly.
So there seems to be a major bug.

Just for testing I tried to open the project in Encore CS2, which was still installed on another windows machine. Fortunately the project opend, just complaining about smart objects it can´t handle.
Although the color of my background images was appearing completly desaturated, the overlay worked correctly on every menu. And after burning and checking on a tv even the colors turned out to be fine.

So I´m at leat finished with this project, but I think that there is a major bug in CS4 concerning overlays.

Cheers

Christian

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:55:27 pm

Thanks for posting back with your solution, Christian.

The possibility of a bug exists, but since all of your other menus work, and you indicated that there was a PAR/frame size issue with this one menu, the available data points to the media being the problem, not the program.

However, it is possible that Encore 2.0 does a better job of automatically interpreting the PAR of the asset than CS4. Did you ever try File>Interpret Footage in CS4?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Chris White
on Apr 17, 2009 at 7:03:48 pm

I've been reading this thread since I had a similar problem. My subpictures were slightly offset as soon as they appeared at my menu loop point. However, I duplicated a static version of the menu to which my clips returned after playing. On this one, the subpictures were placed perfectly.

Try as I might, I couldn't find a solution to the offset problem: all my PARs corresponded. In the end, time was pressing so I went ahead and made the DVD. What do you know? On the encoded disc, the subpictures appeared exactly as they should, showing no difference between the motion and static menu versions.

So don't worry too much if this happens, the chances are that the subs will be corrected on the final DVD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]