FORUMS: list search recent posts

Return to Last Menu's Loop Point

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nik Blumish
Return to Last Menu's Loop Point
on Feb 19, 2009 at 10:07:22 pm

Hey all,

I'm working on creating a fully animated DVD in Encore CS4. I have a bunch of different menus, with animated transitions tying them all together. Navigating through the menus is pretty seamless, with each menu having a loop point.

I've discovered how to jump to a specific menu's loop point (instead of seeing the pre-loop animation), and I have the Menu Remote button set to "Return to Last Menu", but when it's pressed, it shows the complete menu animation. Is there any way to have the menu button return to the last menu's loop point?

One workaround that I've played with is creating the animation in a separate video file and using it as a transition video (in the Transition tab) before going to the next menu, but I get a slight (and unacceptable) pause before the next menu starts.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Nik Blumish
Re: Return to Last Menu's Loop Point
on Feb 20, 2009 at 12:38:57 am

I've found a workaround for the moment - my timeline was small enough to duplicate it on the DVD, making each menu link to a separate, but identical timeline. The only thing different between these is the Menu Remote button is manually set to the loop point of the menu that it came from, rather than a Return to Last Menu loop point.

Dodged it with this DVD, but only because my timeline was small enough to duplicate. Any REAL solutions to this problem?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 20, 2009 at 12:39:41 am

Return to Last Menu doesn't offer the ability to return to the loop point.

Instead, specify the exact motion menu, then in Specify Link click the "Set to Loop Point" checkbox.

Return to posts index

Nik Blumish
on Feb 20, 2009 at 1:04:34 am

This doesn't really solve the problem...

On other DVDs, if I press Play from the main menu, then hit the menu button, it goes back to the main menu. If I play the video from a sub-menu like Chapter Selects, then hit the menu button, it goes back to the Chapter Selects menu without playing the Main-to-Chapter video transition.

Is this not possible in Encore? If not, can it be done in DVD Studio Pro?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 20, 2009 at 2:15:12 am

I don't understand why you need a duplicate timeline.

Just set each timeline's Menu Remote link to explicitly point to the menu that launched it, and make sure to check the box for linking to the loop point. Use the dropdown list in the Properties panel, and choose the Specify Link option.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Nik Blumish
on Feb 20, 2009 at 2:39:35 am

I really appreciate all of the responses so far - this is a very frustrating problem! I don't think I'm explaining it well enough...

Say I have a DVD with a Main menu and a Chapter menu, both with intro animations and loop points. Both menus are linked to the same time line - Play from the Main menu, and Chapter selects from the Chapter menus. When the Menu Button is pressed in the timeline, I want it to return to the menu that it came from, without playing the pre-loop animation.

Return to Last Menu doesn't have a loop point button, and choosing a specific menu with a loop point doesn't give me the option to return to EITHER menu's loop point.

Duplicating the timeline was only a temporary fix for this DVD with only 20 minutes of video. I made the Main menu link to the Main timeline, then back to the Main menu - the Chapter menu links to the Chapter timeline, then back to the Chapter menu. It works great for this short DVD, but it won't work for future DVDs.

Maybe I'm just not setting my project up correctly?

Nik Blumish
VFX Supervisor and Colorist

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 20, 2009 at 3:12:59 am

Okay, I see what you are trying to do.

Try this:

Put each menu's intro animation into its own timeline. Link the end action of each timeline to its proper menu partner.

Each menu only has the animation from what would have been the loop point of the original, complete menu.

For this navigation, you need duplicate Main Menus (not timelines); one will link to the intro animation for the Chapter Menu (for the first time the menu is displayed) and the other will link to the Chaper Menu directly (for subsequent access to the menu).

You will need the Auto-Activate property for the button on the Main Menu that will link to the timeline. The Auto-Activate link will connect to the duplicate Main Menu.

Then use the Return to Last Menu command for the Menu Remote propertyof the timeline.

So:

MainMenu1 has a button that links to ChapterMenuIntro, which links to ChapterMenu.

MainMenu1 also has an auto-activate button that links to the timeline button on MainMenu2.

MainMenu2 has buttons that link directly to ChapterMenu and directly to the timeline.

ChapterMenu has buttons that link back to MainMenu2 and to the various chapters of the timeline.

MainMenu1 is linked to by the MainMenu1Intro timeline; the only time it is displayed is when the the disc is first inserted (because MainMenuIntro is set as First Play, and nothing ever links back to MainMenuIntro).

The button for the timeline on MainMenu1 is an auto-activate button, and it links to the timeline button on MainMenu2.

That means that the only time ChapterMenuIntro plays is when the link to it on MainMenu1 is selected. IOW, the first time the audience gets to see ChapterMenu.

This is an advanced navigation setup - I hope it's clear enough from my description.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Nik Blumish
on Feb 21, 2009 at 2:01:18 am

Aha, I understand what you're saying.

There are two problems that happen when I try this:

1. When going from the intro timeline to the menu, there is a 1/2 second pause - it doesn't keep the animation or audio fluid.

2. With the timeline button set to Auto-Activate, it starts the menu video and audio over again.

Nik Blumish
VFX Supervisor and Colorist

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]