FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-Ray replication???

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Brunger
Blu-Ray replication???
on Feb 17, 2009 at 12:05:13 pm

Hi all,

Hoping someone with experience in BD production can clear this up for me...

We're currently looking into investing in Blu-Ray authoring, for final output to REPLICATED, not duplicated Blu-Ray discs.

I've been doing some research into apps suitable for this and it would seem that Encore CS4 is fine for burned BD-Rs, but cannot output the correct files need for replication? Also lack of BD-J and BD-Live capability (though BD-Live is not essential for our proposed work)

I have read in several places that the only 2 apps capable of EVERYTHING are Scenarist and Sony's Blu-Print...which are both very expensive. Apparently DoStudio can also spit out replication-ready files, but is still slightly hampered in the more advanced features. This is $7000 rather than $40,000+ which does appeal!

However, just looking on Sonic's website they claim that their prosumer app 'DVDit Pro HD' can output for BD replication for $499?!?: http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/dvdit/dvdit.html

How true is this info?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

AE7 Pro - Nucleo - Mocha v1.2.3 - PS CS3 - FCP 5.1.4
MacPro Quad 3GHz / ATI 1900XT / 8GB RAM / OSX 10.4.11
30" ACD / Decklink SP / SONY PVM-20M4E/ Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / XServe / United Digital RAID
---------------------------------
Production Studio CS2 - Combustion 3 - Mocha v1.0.1
Win XP Pro 32 / Intel Core2Quad Q6600 / 2GB RAM / NVidia Quadro570 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5s / Sony BVM-20G1E / 2 x Dell 2007FP / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 320GB boot/800GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Blu-Ray replication???
on Feb 17, 2009 at 9:05:35 pm

I've been asking around for months now and have found no answer to the question. No one over at sonic will answer the question - no one!! I'm guessing its doubtful. However, if Do Studio isn't enough for you then DVDit Pro isn't either! What kind of features are you looking for? Do Studio can author most titles like you see on store shelves. Also BD-J isn't something to take lightly. Its pure software development which takes tons of time and money to develop. Also, to get started with Scenarist or Blu Print you're looking at around a $50K - 100K initial investment. There's an article in last months Creative Cow's magazine you should read:

http://magazine.creativecow.net/pdf_issues/COWmag_NovDec2008_spreads.pdf

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Feb 18, 2009 at 12:41:15 pm

Thanks for your reply Eric. Yes I've read the cow article - that's what made me look at DoStudio, which definitely seems like the best fit for us....

Now - A certified Blu-Ray encoder to go with it!? It seems Inlet's Fathom is the cheapest DEFACTO solution at £5,000 (doubled the price already..ouch!) But talking to a couple of people, you can use Compressor or Adobe Media Encoder, but only as MPEG-2. Is AVC codec really as good as ppl say? Or is it only relevant if you're trying to cramp hours of 1080 content onto one disc? I mean, if we're not filling the disc - does it matter that our MPEG-2s are bigger in size, but look just as good as AVC?

30" ACD / Decklink SP / SONY PVM-20M4E/ Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / XServe / United Digital RAID
Win XP Pro 32 / Intel Core2Quad Q6600 / 2GB RAM / NVidia Quadro570 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5s / Sony BVM-20G1E / 2 x Dell 2007FP / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 320GB boot/800GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 19, 2009 at 1:41:17 am

Yeah....I believe you can use those encoders. The only issue you might have is if a client doesn't like a section and you need to go back re-do the whole thing. Our clients are always wanting re-encodes done so they wouldn't be an option for me. Also the quality isn't that great compared to a more high-end encoder. It all depends on your clients, needs and budget. Depending on your source material, a good MPEG 2 encode will look just as good as AVC. When you get into lower bitrates - different story.

Personally, Do Studio is the ONLY option independent authors to do Blu Ray.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Feb 19, 2009 at 11:33:47 am

[eric pautsch] "The only issue you might have is if a client doesn't like a section and you need to go back re-do the whole thing"

Sorry Eric, what do you mean exactly? How would this differ if using a high-end encoder? I mean, we'd sign off the actual content before starting the encoding process..do you mean clients saying "re-encode that, it has artifacts here and here..." sort of thing? Can you explain the different workflow for re-encoding sections in something like CinemaCraft or Fathom?

Thanks for your help on this.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 19, 2009 at 4:34:34 pm

Yes...thats exactly what I mean. With a "higher-end" encoders, it allows you to re-encode segments, not the entire stream. If clients are willing to spend that kind of cash, you can bet they will want certain sections re-done. on top of all that, cheap encoders just aren't that good in comparison. You have very little control over bitrates and what not.

You can see the differences in an instant with streams done with Compressor/Procoder vs. a better encoder

Return to posts index

Denny Breitenfeld
on Mar 25, 2009 at 7:15:22 pm

Hi Jimmy,

At NAB this year or shortly after that there will be several new encoding solutions coming to market! Something that you might be interested in. :-)

Cheers,

Denny B.

Expert Series for Blu-ray at the NetBlender NAB Suite

NetBlender DoStudio Blu-ray Team | http://dostudio.netblender.com | http://www.clearblu.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]