FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoded or not in BluRay

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Rich
Transcoded or not in BluRay
on Feb 13, 2009 at 2:12:58 am

I just did a short BluRay Project (Encore CS3), and it worked fine, good disk, pictures, etc.

However, after burning the BluRay Folder successfully, I looked in the project window and selected the video clip, at the top it said it was 1920x1080, but in the project window itself, under "transcode status", it said "untranscoded".

When I R clicked on the clip and selected "transcode settings", down at the bottom of the dialoge box, Quality Preset says "Don't transcode".
Am I correct in assuming that the "Untranscoded" message, is an error, since it seems judging by the resolution of the clip now, it has already been transcoded and won't be retranscoded?
THanks,
John Rich

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Transcoded or not in BluRay
on Feb 13, 2009 at 2:45:58 pm

Encore CS3 and later shows two transcoding statuses (statii?): one for DVD, and another for Blu-ray.

Presumably, you are looking at DVD transcoding status?

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 13, 2009 at 5:13:04 pm

Joe,
Thanks for your answer. In the project window, I exposed the entire top bar, name, etc and there was the Blu ray transcode status, etc (previously hidden as the project window wasn't pulled far enough to the right) as well as the DVD trancode status just as you said.

Both "transcodes" are also in the properties panel of the "asset".

I hate to have you spoonfeed me this stuff, but do you know of a link that will show me about the encoding presets of the media encoder in both Premiere, and Encore?
For some reason, I exported out of Premiere, a 1440x1080 .avi (cineform) as a BluRay Mpeg, but used the preset HDTV 1080i 29.97. Should I have used the HDTV 10080i 24 to prevent the need to retranscode in Encore if I was going to make a BluRay disk?

Thanks in advanace.
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 14, 2009 at 1:31:57 am

Sorry John...your question isn't quite clear to me. What's the original frame rate of your AVI? You should use the same frame rate (and frame size) for MPEG-2 for Blu-ray.

Note that Premiere does have Blu-ray encoding settings specifically for MPEG-2 and H.264. Try one of those first.

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 14, 2009 at 2:20:41 am

Sorry,
The original framerate was 29.97. For some reason, I thought the final frame rate of a BluRay MPEG was 24 fps (I can't find where I read that, so I probably mixed that idea up somewhere). Therefore, I thought that Encore reincoded footage out of Premiere (1440x1080 at 29.97) to a larger size (1920x1080) at a slower frame rate 24.

So what really happens is that the only thing that happens when Encore encodes the HDV footage in the BluRay preset, is to make it larger, but the frame rate stays the same?
Thanks,
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 14, 2009 at 3:04:16 pm

If the frame size and frame rate are Blu-ray legal, then Encore should not re-encode it unless you mix it with video that has a different frame size or frame rate in the same timeline - then the project preset frame size/rate kicks in.

But if it's already Blu-ray legal, it should not be re-encoded if it's in its own timeline.

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 14, 2009 at 4:03:56 pm

Sorry to appear denser than I already have about this, but I'll try to summarize:

There's a group of resolution and frame rate combination for both MPEG2 and H.264 , each of which is a preset in Adobe Media Encoder under either the Mpeg2 BluRay or the H.264 Bluray.

The presets that are labeled HDTV are the ones that are "BLURAY Legal".
1080i at 25 I assume is PAL, 1080i at 29.97 is NTSC, 1080p at 24 is PAL and 1080p at 23.976 is NTSC.

Therefore, if I take HDV footage that's NTSC and edit it in Premiere, I should use the 1080i at 29.97 preset to output it from HDV 1440x1080 to HD at 1920x1080 at same frame rate.

However, I could try exporting at 1080p although it would wind up with a slower frame rate.

Anyway, then when I imort the HDTV footage I rendered into Encore, Encore will have the same list of "BluRay Legal" presets, and if the footage I imported matches one of these, then it won't reincode it.

However, if Encore gets some HDV NTSC footage, it will just encode it to 1080i at 29.97.
IF it gets some 1449x1080p at 23.976, it will encode to 1080p at 23.976.

I would certainly your taking the time to read over this and correct any mistakes. My main problem was determing, after scanning the web, what is BluRay LEgal.
Thanks,
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 16, 2009 at 3:25:45 pm

Maybe it's just that I am dense, but I'm not sure what you are asking here.

In general, when encoding to MPEG-2 or H.264, it is best to let your source video be your guide. So if your source is HDV 1440x1080i @29.97, then that should be your encoding settings for MPEG-2 or H.264. That frame size and frame rate are Blu-ray legal, and the preset that matches them should be used.

When you import the encoded MPEG-2 or H.264 file into Encore, it should not have to be re-transcoded for Blu-ray output (but it would for DVD or Flash output).

Does that help?

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 16, 2009 at 6:45:06 pm

I guess what I'm having trouble with is the concept of "BluRay Legal". Since Encore is going to have to finally generate a 1920x1080 sized video for the disk, then anything it gets other than that ie as an asset imported into it, will not be "BluRay Legal"?

The way I'm thinking, then even though I imported HDV into my Premiere Project to edit, to prevent re-encoding by Encore, I would have to export with AME to a file that's 1920x1080 (labeled HDTV in the presets) to prevent Encore from having to re-encode. However, in the Mpeg2 Bluray format, there are several presets that generate a 1440x1080 frame (labeled HDV). In my way of thinking, these HDV presets will have to be re-encoded by Encore, and therefore are not BluRay Legal. Do you think I am thinking correctly here?
Again, I appologize for not being clear, and appreciate your thoughts.
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 16, 2009 at 7:04:09 pm

[John Rich] "Since Encore is going to have to finally generate a 1920x1080 sized video for the disk, then anything it gets other than that ie as an asset imported into it, will not be "BluRay Legal"? "

But that's actually not what happens. Maybe this is key to understanding it?

It's the Blu-ray player that outputs the resolution of the monitor, and if necessary, scaling video up or down depending on the monitor resolution versus frame size of your video.

Blu-ray legal frame sizes are 1920x1080, 1440x1080, 1280x720, and 720x480. Of course, three of those frame sizes are high definition, and the last is standard definition.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 16, 2009 at 7:24:05 pm

Note: by "scaling", I mean showing the image completely in the monitor. Some monitors can do this scaling as well.

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 17, 2009 at 1:23:37 am

Joe,

Thanks for your patience. I think you finally got through to me and I understand BluRay encoding a lot more than I did before.
Thanks again,
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]