FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chapter Navigation Between Menus w/ One Timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Shatzer
Chapter Navigation Between Menus w/ One Timeline
on Feb 7, 2009 at 2:35:33 am

First project with Encore CS4 - long time Encore 1 user.

I imported 4 menus from a EN 1 project and successfully set them up in EN 4 and they navigate as wanted. The first menu is the main menu that navigates to and from the other 3 submenus and has a "Play All" button/link to the only video/timeline (avi).

I have set up 14 chapters on the timeline and have created a Chapter Play List. The "Play All" button on the main menu plays the timeline and the end action is linked back to the main menu.

The submenus each have a button linked back to the main menu and 5, 5 and 4 buttons linked to each of the chapters. Each chapter's end action is linked back to its appropriate menu.

The flow chart looks good and everything appears to work in Preview. However, after burning the project and playing it in the DVD player each of the chapters does not navigate back to its menu, but plays on to the next chapter.

I would like to be able to navigate in and out of chapters rather than have each segment of a video its own time line. Any suggestions or help? It has been a learning curve so far and will most likely be in the future.

Ray

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Chapter Navigation Between Menus w/ One Timeline
on Feb 7, 2009 at 12:53:57 pm

Check for any overrides set anywhere in the project. Sometimes you needed overrides in version 1, but almost never in version CS4. Improper use of overrides will kill your navigation.

Does the Chapter Playlist handle the "Play All" duties? It wasn't clear from your post because you said that Play All played the timeline.

If you remove all overrides and the navigation still doesn't work, try removing all of the end actions for the chapters and just link the Play All button to the timeline. Then put each chapter in its own Chapter Playlist and link each of the chapter buttons to the respective playlist.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Ray Shatzer
on Feb 7, 2009 at 5:47:56 pm

Jeff:

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have checked all overrides and I change any to "not set." I do have the "Play All" button on the main menu linked to the timeline with the end action set to return to the main menu. I have attempted to put each chapter in a playlist that corresponds with the submenu they are linked to, and it appears this did not work.

I will attempt your suggestion, but I am almost ready to do a playlist like you do in EN 1 - separate each video out of the one creating 14 video/assets, link the end action to the next asset and put the override to the correct submenu.

I was hoping there would be more flexibility with setting up Chapter Playlists and being able to navigate in and out of them. Perhaps, EN CS4 can do this and it is just I have not "found out" how. Adobe programs are great, but not self-intuitive. One check in the wrong place with Encore and it seems the whole project fails.

Ray

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 7, 2009 at 6:33:24 pm

[Ray Shatzer] "I have attempted to put each chapter in a playlist that corresponds with the submenu they are linked to, and it appears this did not work."

Can you clarify what you mean here? What exactly did not appear to work?

[Ray Shatzer] "I was hoping there would be more flexibility with setting up Chapter Playlists and being able to navigate in and out of them."

There is flexibility in spades.

Explain exactly what you want to happen, and one of us will be able to assist with a method that works.

Return to posts index

Ray Shatzer
on Feb 7, 2009 at 7:07:11 pm

[Ray Shatzer] "I have attempted to put each chapter in a playlist that corresponds with the submenu they are linked to, and it appears this did not work."

Can you clarify what you mean here? What exactly did not appear to work?

My main post explains what I initially did, which was to create one single Chapter PlayList with each chapter moved into the right window from the only timeline/video asset in the project. The timeline was linked to a "Play All" button on the main menu and the end action was set to return to the main menu. After making the Chapter PlayList from the only timeline I renamed the chapters to corresponding menu buttons and linked the buttons in 3 different submenus to the corresponding chapters. Chapters 1 to 5 where set to link with the corresponding buttons in the first submenu, chapters 6 to 10 where set to link with the corresponding buttons in the second submenu, and chapters 11 to 14 where set to link with the corresponding buttons on the third submenu. The end action of each chapter was set to the corresponding submenu (default) their link button was located.

When I checked the Flowchart everything looked fine. When I previewed the project and clicked the "end action" button on the preview monitor each chapter returned to its corresponding submenu. When I built the project there was one problem, which stated that the link at the end of the timeline did not match the end action at the end of the last chapter. This made sense since the timeline was to return to the main menu and the last chapter linked for its submenu was set for an end action to return to its submenu. There were no overrides set. The project was burned and when played in the DVD player each chapter played from the submenu would not return to the submenu when finished, but played the next chapter.

I attempted to change the Chapter Playlist, so I cleared it and created 3 Chapter Playlists with the chapters grouped into their corresponding submenus. I then reset the links. What was interesting was the links were not set, but the end action was with the override set to the same end action, which was to the corresponding submenus. I got the same results.

[Ray Shatzer] "I was hoping there would be more flexibility with setting up Chapter Playlists and being able to navigate in and out of them. P"

There is flexibility in spades.

I am sure there is with what I have read, but I just need to learn how to utilize it. That is why I am here asking questions and grateful for any help I get.

Explain exactly what you want to happen, and one of us will be able to assist with a method that works.

It is simply to make a "Play All" link on the main menu with individual links to chapters (portions of the timeline) from submenus with the ability of when the chapter ends it will navigate back to its submenu. To give you an idea of what the video/DVD is, it is a high school football season highlight put in one video asset and in EN chapters are created for each individual game highlight. The submenus separate the games by preseason, season, and post season.

Thanks for your response.

Ray

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 8, 2009 at 3:27:30 am

This is very simple to do. First, remove any chapter end actions or overrides that may exist in relation to this timeline.

Then create a unique chapter playlist each chapter in the timeline, and set the end action of each of these chapter playlists to Return To Last Menu. Link each button to its respective chapter playlist.

Finally, link your Play All button to the first chapter in your timeline.

The end result will be when the Play All button is clicked, the timeline containing all the chapters will play in its entirety, and when each button in your submenu(s) is clicked, it will play only the chapter and then return to the submenu.

Return to posts index

Ray Shatzer
on Feb 8, 2009 at 3:40:25 am

by Joe Bowden

Then create a unique chapter playlist each chapter in the timeline, and set the end action of each of these chapter playlists to Return To Last Menu. Link each button to its respective chapter playlist.

Thanks for your reply. I knew it would be something simple, but it was finding the simple something that is the challenge.

If I understand you each chapter needs to go in its own playlist, like what Jeff was saying. I will try this.

This explanation brought new questions about a variation of navigation, but I will save it for another day if my thoughts do not correspond with how to perform the task I am thinking about.

Ray

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 8, 2009 at 2:34:05 pm

[Ray Shatzer] "This explanation brought new questions about a variation of navigation, but I will save it for another day if my thoughts do not correspond with how to perform the task I am thinking about. "

Try the suggestions made by Jeff and me, and then get back to us on your navigation question once you have the basics working.

Return to posts index

Ray Shatzer
on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:12:31 pm

Thanks, I will. But, it will need to be either later today or tomorrow.

My thoughts about navigation of chapters that I did not want to bring up before is whether you can use a chapter in different playlists.

Example: Timeline with 4 chapters. Chapter 1 is set in a playlist by itself with a button in a submenu. Chapters 1 and 3 are set in a playlist with a button in a different submenu. Is it possible to use a chapter in different playlists and navigate from different submenus and return to that submenu? It appears it is possible as a result of your comment about the use of "Return to Last Menu."

Ray

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 8, 2009 at 7:46:14 pm

It's definitely possible. :)

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Ray Shatzer
on Feb 9, 2009 at 8:27:01 pm

It works great!

Thank you for your help. As I stated before, this program is not intuitive and you have to figure out what the programmer had in mind. But, what is great about the program is once you have it down you can be more creative with it. I have worked with other programs, but they are not flexible, you just plug stuff in and the program creates.

Thanks again. I am sure I will be back again with questions. I am already thinking of ways to spice up my menus and will start working with transitions.

Ray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]