FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transition size problem

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Baz Davis
Transition size problem
on Feb 1, 2009 at 6:22:26 pm

Hi,

I am creating a very simple DVD portfolio with a few menus and transitions between buttons. The transitions have the same background as the menu, with just the buttons being animated. The problem I am having is when I create animation for the transitions in AE and import into Encore, the size of the transition video in the previewer is slightly smaller than the menu, therefore the transition isn't smooth.
I have read nearly every post in this forum, and have been working on it for days with no avail. I have made sure all the PARs and everything are the same in both transition and menu, so I don't really have a clue why this is happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Using Adobe CS4 for all.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Transition size problem
on Feb 1, 2009 at 10:23:04 pm

You didn't specifically mention where you were testing from, but this could be a Preview problem in Encore.

Have you tried burning a DVD RW and testing it in a player?

Return to posts index

Baz Davis
on Feb 2, 2009 at 3:32:23 am

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response. I burned a DVD, but it just stalled on the opening page, and the buttons didn't work, so I guess there is something else I'm not doing, or doing right, but that's for another post.
I am previewing in Encore, using Photoshop to edit the menu and AE to animate it for the transitions. I tried photoshop to animate and export as avi, and quicktime movie, but it was stretched in the encore previewer so I tried AE instead. I have checked all aspect and frame settings. Sorry if this doesn't make the most of sense, not very experienced with encore.

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 2, 2009 at 3:43:17 am

Just for my own information, if you wouldn't mind, I had a couple of thoughts.
1. What do you mean by "transition between buttons". I always thought button transitions were for transitions between buttons and timelines, menus, or playlists.

2. If you want to have your buttons animate into position in the menu, a lot of folks use a motion menu they make in AE which I think works better.

3. When you import the various assets, and select them in the project window, you can see their size up at the top of the PW.

John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Simon Philpot
on Feb 2, 2009 at 9:20:34 am

I too am having this problem.. Go to create an AE comp in encore, make the transition, then drag the comp back to encore. Result is that once transition completes everything shifts slightly suggesting a conflict in size/position.. The other thread mentioned here suggests that Encore shrinks the movie?

Return to posts index

Baz Davis
on Feb 2, 2009 at 4:32:31 pm

Sorry, meant transition between button click and next page. My transition is meant for after the button click. The menu itself is not animated, just the transition. But the transition contains the same background image as the menu, with just the buttons moving, so it is important that the sizes of both transition and menu match.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 2, 2009 at 4:43:59 pm

Please give us the dimensions and pixel aspect ratio of your menu and your video.

Return to posts index

Baz Davis
on Feb 2, 2009 at 6:12:06 pm

Menu: dim-3072x2304 aspect-16:9
Composition Settings: dim- 3072x2304 PAR- D1/DVPal Widescreen (1.46)

In output module settings: Rendering at 3072x2304 Stretch to 3072x2304

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 2, 2009 at 6:29:35 pm

I'm trying to recreate what you are doing.
What you must be doing is creating a menu with buttons.
Then in AE you make a button transition that animates the buttons off the screen and then the second menu appears.

I made a simple menu in photoshop with a background color layer and two text buttons, Play all and Scene select. The menus used the Widescreen DV preset.
Then I imported this menu into AE as a comp, opened the comp, and animated the buttons to fly off the screen. I rendered it as uncompressed .avi.
I then created a project in encore, imported the simple menu as menu, and the clip as an asset (along with a multiple scenes menu),
All three of these elements registered as 720x480 (for some reason the aspect ratio doesn't register) in encore.
I linked the clip to the scene select button as a transition and the scene select button to the second menu and previewed.
It appears to work fine and I don't see any apparent jump in size with the transition. There is a slight jump when going to the transition, which I think is normal.
I didn't even bother to burn the disk, since it seems to work.

I really don't know why you are having trouble, but if you do it the way I did, it should work.

John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 2, 2009 at 6:33:40 pm

Sorry, I didn't see your previous post. Why don't you just use widescreen PAL for both the menu and the comp in AE?

There are certain size standards for DVD's which Joe knows a lot more about than I.

John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Baz Davis
on Feb 2, 2009 at 6:49:00 pm

Hi John,
have tried the same as you did and it works fine too, so it must be something to do with how I created my menu. Will keep at it anyway, sure I'll work it out somehow. Cheers for the responses.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 2, 2009 at 6:54:48 pm

When designing menus and rendering video, stick to standard frame sizes and pixel aspect ratios for DVD.

For widescreen PAL, that's 720x576 px, with a PAR of 1.46.

Return to posts index

Baz Davis
on Feb 2, 2009 at 10:24:06 pm

Hi,
got it sorted. Resized to 720x576 in photoshop then imported back into encore. Working perfectly. Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]