FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using SD cards rather than a blue ray player

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Flaxton
Using SD cards rather than a blue ray player
on Jan 31, 2009 at 12:57:38 pm

I put this one other forum because it's a sort of virtual DVD/camera/file/sd card issue ...

For the last few days I've been banging my head very hard on the wall. I suddenly had the idea that if memory cards could write data in camera - then be used for capture on to computer, they maybe they could also deliver data to an HDTV. My thinking was, if the project were very simple, then why use a blu ray player at all - why not just use a card in the slot in the tv ? Cuts down on cost....

I know you're supposed to be able to take a card from a camera with AVCHD files and push them out through a tv - but what if you wanted to edit a program and then put a plasma in a Mall without a blu ray DVD player and just use the card slot in a tv like a plasma viera 42 inch ? This becomes important if you have several plasmas to feed and want to cut cost down.

So I just coded, transcoded, put out blue ray images, compressor, adobe media encoder, encore etc - all kinds of stuff. Nothing worked. The card reader in the tv says mpeg 2 or acvhd - I bought various bits of software - unfortunately the only card reader I have is a little digital camera and so it worries me that the file structure on something like this may not be good for movie playbak - also, if the tv is 1920 x 1080 - should the files be that size and if so at what level should the card be ? Is SDHC fast enough to deliver the data.

Is an Mpeg 2 or AVCHD file from a camera markedly different from that generated on a pc or mac ???

Am I just wasting my time here as the manufacturers might want us using players and not cards?

A long term DP - likes 35mm and HD equally - changing with digital media - Began as a commercials editor !

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Using SD cards rather than a blue ray player
on Jan 31, 2009 at 3:10:20 pm

[Terry Flaxton] "My thinking was, if the project were very simple, then why use a blu ray player at all - why not just use a card in the slot in the tv ?"

I think the Blu-ray consortium (i.e., Sony) would disagree with your assessment of the situation, and would rather you have a Blu-ray disc played in a Blu-ray player. In fact, I don't think there's a single software Blu-ray player that will play BDMV that is not on a Blu-ray disc.

I don't know enough about the data transfer rates of SD cards (which of course are also limited by the speed of the reader) to know if high definition video playback is even possible. That said, I am nearly certain that this would be impossible to do with BDMV - at least legally.

Return to posts index

Terry Flaxton
on Jan 31, 2009 at 5:53:17 pm

My point was not to disenfranchise the earning power of a huge consortium. My thinking was in the vein of trying to be imaginative about what piece of kit can be used in which situation. We are wedded currently to the developments of the likes of sony, dalsa, thomson, philips, pioneer, panasonic etc al (and long may they do what they do best), yet along comes a small company like red and says 'hold on, there's another way'. As it happens I got quite excited about the idea of using something with no moving parts and consequently set off on a technically based search for a solution - that's all.

I wasn't remotely interested in manufacturing a blu ray disc virtual or not - I was interested in whether or not it is technically possible to display hd images on a plasma display directly from such a small source.

In terms of whether cards can deliver moving pictures, I've already managed to do that so I know it works - and if one of us has managed it you can bet your life it's happening all over the place. It's just the future.

Again - I have no intent on breaking licenses or anything remotely of that order - the technical possibility is what is interesting to me.

A long term DP - likes 35mm and HD equally - changing with digital media - Began as a commercials editor !

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 31, 2009 at 6:18:39 pm

OK, your position is abundantly clear. But like I said, it's highly unlikely that BDMV will ever play from an SD card, mainly because you need a Blu-ray player to play it, and Sony has decided that Blu-ray discs are the only medium from which they can be played.

There may be other ways to display high definition video from an SD card, but they won't be Blu-ray. And with that said, I'll yield to anyone else who may have more information or experience with this along non-Blu-ray lines.

Return to posts index

Terry Flaxton
on Jan 31, 2009 at 6:34:34 pm

I bet you're right on the idea of a blu ray file - though I did hear that Vob's would work on some tv's - I was just being hopeful. In terms of HD playback, with other Gop oriented compression systems there's a good chance of fast enough data throughput.

Return to posts index

Todd Roush
on Jun 7, 2009 at 8:50:06 am

You need a. Rain or decoder of some kind. This is what your computer does....this does not exist in TVs as far as I know.

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Canon XH-A1's - Dell Studio XPS i7, 920, 2.66 gig,6 gigs RAM (soon to be 12) 650 gig SATA, 1TB eSATA external, 3TB USB(storage). 512gig ATI video card, 28" HannsG Monitor, 24" Dell Monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]