FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore DVD export - letterboxed & sidebarred on bluray player - any thoughts?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bowen Llewellyn
Encore DVD export - letterboxed & sidebarred on bluray player - any thoughts?
on Jan 26, 2009 at 5:23:55 am

Hi all,
My movie will export from Premiere as a 16:9 MPEG2 DVD and play full screen beautifully on a blueray player. But when I export it to Encore, do the authoring, THEN export it to DVD, it will only play letter boxed and with side bars - though wide-screen within this.

If instead of using dynamic link, the movie is imported as an MPEG2 asset into Encore, then it behaves correctly. This method has workflow drawbacks and quality also take a hit because it has to be re-encoded.

In the last 3 days, I have tried every likely Import & Export combination of pixel ratio settings and 16:9 settings in Encore but no joy. How to get DVD full screen 16:9 after authoring? If you have done it I sure would appreciate your suggestions.
Bowen

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Encore DVD export - letterboxed & sidebarred on bluray player - any thoughts?
on Jan 26, 2009 at 11:49:28 am

When you import the Pr sequence via Dynamic Link, go to File | Interpret Footage.

Make sure the PAR is being interpreted as widescreen.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Bowen Llewellyn
Re: Encore DVD export - letterboxed & sidebarred on bluray player - any thoughts?
on Jan 26, 2009 at 1:57:13 pm

Thanks for the comment Jeff - but have certainly checked the 16:9 PAR box at every possible location.
Bowen

Return to posts index

Bowen Llewellyn
on Jan 27, 2009 at 12:54:48 am

Okay - Knowing that someone else is making it work is encouraging Jeff. I Reviewed my PAR setting in En and tried again the SD (PAL) Widescreen (1.4587). The side bars go, but there remains narrow black bars top & bottom. Also this setting stretches the picture slightly (which is why I haven't used it).

In Premiere I simply work in the native HD Anamorphic 1.33 format and then let the Media Encoder transcode to DVD. It does this to 16:9 widescreen perfectly. Via Encore is a problem though.

Maybe someone could step through the correct workflow settings (Jeff?) I import 720P(native) from P2 card to PPro. Work in the PAR from file which is HD Anamorphic 1.333. Send the edit to En. with the problems as described. Am using CS4 with latest updates.

Thanks to all for any input - Bowen

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 27, 2009 at 1:18:03 am

You didn't mention before that you were using HD source footage in Premiere. I thought you were using SD 16:9 footage in Pr.

Try this:

Nest your HD anamorphic 1.333 sequence into an SD 16:9 sequence. Then scale it to either 67% or 68%, depending on which is less objectionable - very thin black edges at the sides, or the top and bottom few pixels of the image getting cropped. Then dynamically link Encore to the new SD 16:9 sequence.

Does that get you what you want in Encore?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Bowen Llewellyn
on Jan 27, 2009 at 7:09:14 am

Hi Jeff - thanks for taking the time and providing some options. My edit machine is in the middle of a (5 hour!) transcode out of CS4 Media Encoder at present. The resulting movie I will test in Encore for 16:9 worthiness. If that doesn't work then I'll sure give your suggested method a go.

Surely though Encore should be able to transcode to full SD16:9 from DVCPROHD without such mucking around??

Thanks again for your help. Seems like I'm the only film maker in the world experiencing this problem!

Regards, Bowen

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 27, 2009 at 12:34:28 pm

[Bowen Llewellyn] "Surely though Encore should be able to transcode to full SD16:9 from DVCPROHD without such mucking around?"

I agree. I don't know why En doesn't see the Pr DVCPROHD sequence properly through Dynamic Link - it sees other HD sequences properly and downscales appropriately.

Anyway, the nesting trick works here, so if you want to take advantage of Encore's automatic transcoding (where it does all the bit rate math for you), you have a way to make that option work with your footage.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Catherine Carbin
on Jun 8, 2009 at 1:32:28 pm

any thoughts auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum mmmmmm hi hari om Cathy

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 26, 2009 at 2:18:44 pm

You mentioned dynamic link and so I assumed CS4. What versions of Pr and En are you using?

BTW - I have done what you are trying to do quite successfully, and I didn't have to do anything unusual to make it happen.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]