FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Menus

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Lane
HD Menus
on Jan 24, 2009 at 4:15:37 pm

Hi all.

Can you do HD menus in Encore? I have been making my menus in HD, but Encore just scales them down to a widescreen SD menu. I can't find any place to choose HD for menus.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: HD Menus
on Jan 24, 2009 at 5:24:34 pm

What are the dimensions and pixel aspect ratio of the menus you have made?

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jan 24, 2009 at 6:50:57 pm

Yes you can create HD menus, but only for a Blu-ray Project. You must have CS3 or above for this feature.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Ray Lane
on Jan 24, 2009 at 6:54:54 pm

It is a bluray project and its Encore CS4. When I bring in the movie, Encore scales it down to SD. It does still look great though :)

Ray Lane
Visual Dreams

Return to posts index

David Ethridge
on Apr 27, 2009 at 7:48:00 pm

Im new to Encore and I created a menu in CS4 Encore not realizing it was 720x 480 for my blu-ray movie 1440 x 1080.
Is there a easy way to change it to a HD menu?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 27, 2009 at 8:33:14 pm

No, it's best to start your menu over again beginning at the correct HD size.

You may be able to make it all less painful by saving buttons and other elements in the Library, and then re-add them to your new HD menu.

Return to posts index

Ray Lane
on Jan 24, 2009 at 6:53:39 pm

I exported the movie for the background from After Effects at 1920x1080, I then tried 1280x720. Both times the only options were 4:3 or 16:9 SD. Encore just scaled the movie down.

Ray Lane
Visual Dreams

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 24, 2009 at 10:28:42 pm

Where does it get scaled down? In the menu? What's the size of your menu?

Return to posts index

Ray Lane
on Jan 25, 2009 at 12:11:02 am

When I bring in the background movie for the menu, it is 1920x1080. When I choose the movie as the background Encore scales it to widescreen SD. The only option I see is to choose 4:3 or 16:9

Ray Lane
Visual Dreams

Return to posts index

Heath Firestone
on Jan 25, 2009 at 3:21:17 am

Are you sure you have selected A Blu-Ray preset using 1920 X 1080 in Encore? If you do this, importing full resolution .psd files won't convert to a lower resolution. I suspect you either have a DVD preset, or have your project resolution set to 720 X 480. You can check this by choosing File, Project Settings.

Hope this helps,

Heath

Return to posts index

Ray Lane
on Jan 25, 2009 at 5:03:50 am

nope, all bluray. When I make the disk it's a bluray disk with HD video....but with an SD menu

Ray Lane
Visual Dreams

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 25, 2009 at 3:06:17 pm

This is the third time I have asked: what are the dimensions of the menu? Not the movie - the menu.

In Encore, menus are PSD files.

Return to posts index

Ray Lane
on Jan 25, 2009 at 3:21:09 pm

Maybe thats part of my problem. There is no PSD file. I hit new menu and add the video as a background. I then create buttons.

Ray Lane
Visual Dreams

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 25, 2009 at 3:35:03 pm

When you hit new menu, a PSD file is imported from the Library.

What's the name of the menu?

Return to posts index

Ray Lane
on Jan 25, 2009 at 5:14:14 am

I am fairly convinced that Encore is just the flakiest, most poorly-written software this side of Redmond, WA.

Now when I open the project, with NOTHING having changed, Encore wants to re-encode all my assets. I even checked all the settings and they are correct. AND if I click on an asset in the bin, it says "Don't Transcode"......Nevermind, in the middle of writing this, it locked-up. When I re-opened, it was OK again. Just goes to prove my point about it being FLAKY!! I think I want my money back :(

Ray Lane
Visual Dreams

Return to posts index

Ray Lane
on Jan 25, 2009 at 5:19:36 am

Now when I try to build THE SAME PROJECT THAT WORKED EARLIER, it comes back with an error!

Blu-ray Error: "device error", Code: "3", Note: "File can not open.(/Volumes/Video Capture/Encore/La/LaAuthorScriptHDMVSessions/_PGC_Bpgc_Ctrk_1_audio.ac3.ves)-

Ray Lane
Visual Dreams

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Jan 26, 2009 at 12:34:36 am

Joe, I appologize if you covered this before, but I had a couple of thoughts.

As Joe alluded, you need a menu that is 1920x1080. In Encore CS3 there was one such menu that came in the library labeled HD (I think it was called Cradle or something).

I would start the project over and find that HD menu and import it into the project, and then see if you could replace it's motion menu with yours by alt-dragging your background into the menu and see if it previews.
There might be a blank HD menu in the library also, but I don't think there was one in CS3.
I'd be interested to hear how it works out.
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Ray Lane
Solved!
on Jan 26, 2009 at 3:21:36 pm

Ok, I figured out the problem thanks to some clues from all the posts. When you create a new menu, I didn't realize that it does so by bringing in a black PSD file. It's bizarre that by choosing new nenu that it does it that way without even asking!

I created a black PSD called HD, brought that in as a menu and added the motion.

Thanks for all the help.

Ray Lane
Visual Dreams

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Solved!
on Jan 26, 2009 at 3:39:26 pm

[Ray Lane] "When you create a new menu, I didn't realize that it does so by bringing in a black PSD file. It's bizarre that by choosing new nenu that it does it that way without even asking! "

That's not quite what happens. It imports the default menu from the Library.

There is one default menu, and one default button in the Library. If you choose New Menu, you will get the default menu. You can change the default menu by choosing another menu in the Library, right-clicking on it and setting it to default.

So the problem was your default menu was standard definition-sized.

Return to posts index

Tom Switzer
Re: Solved!
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:57:30 pm

Ray and all, Yes, I was surprised to have used the Montage Menu Wide and have such poor resolution on the generated menu, both on the text and particularly on the picture frames for the chapters. I assumed that "wide" implied HD but I guess not. Is there somewhere where they have a more extensive library of HD menus for Encore?

One setting for the BD I didn't see before burning was the ability to change the video bit rate which had been set on 15 Mbps. Will be interested in the quality when I burn it at 40 Mbps.

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]