FORUMS: list search recent posts

layered psd menus...any better in encore than dvdsp?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Fish
layered psd menus...any better in encore than dvdsp?
on Jan 22, 2009 at 4:10:02 pm

I have always avoided using layered psd menus in DVDSP. Considering switching to Encore. Does encore handle this with better results, or is it just part of the DVD standard that is not kind to layered menus?

thanks!

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: layered psd menus...any better in encore than dvdsp?
on Jan 22, 2009 at 4:25:33 pm

Encore handles layered menus in much the same way. Its best not to use them no matter what authoring tool you have. No reason to switch to Encore if you have DVDSP...save yourself the money.

Return to posts index

David Fish
on Jan 22, 2009 at 4:31:19 pm

great. thanks!

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 22, 2009 at 5:22:52 pm

The DVD-Video spec only supports subpicture overlay for button highlights.

Layered menus are a workaround for this limitation, and they suck regardless of authoring tool. :)

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
I disagree
on Jan 24, 2009 at 1:39:21 am

I disagree with the other responses you have received. Layered PSD integration is MUCH better with Encore. It supports layer styles, layer masks, multiple layers for individual buttons and a much better way of creating buttons and highlight layers. Of course the DVD spec doesn't support more than 3 different colors for a single button highlight, so that hasn't changed... but the integration is far superior.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: I disagree
on Jan 24, 2009 at 2:13:15 am

Yes...integration between Encore and Photoshop is much better.

David was referring how the DVD spec handles layered menus in both DVDSP and Encore. Each layer or state is really a separate menu within a single Program Chain. Thats why you get that clunky & slow navigation. There used to be time where they crashed players and is a reason you dont see layered menus used that much.

The results are the same but yes, integration is easier and faster in Encore.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: I disagree
on Jan 24, 2009 at 3:35:07 pm

Yes, just to be clear I was referring to layered menus (menus that do not use the subpicture layer to show button status), and not layered PSD files imported as menus. I don't believe any DVD authoring tool beats Encore when it comes to supporting Photoshop files as menus.

But I am not a fan of layered menus at all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]