FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore2.0 - Previews fine, Disc doesn't work

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andriya Talanczuk
Encore2.0 - Previews fine, Disc doesn't work
on Jan 18, 2009 at 4:57:40 pm

I hope someone is able to help me, I am at my wits end with Encore!!
I was originally using Encore CS3 to make an Instructional DVD. There is a Warning menu with 3 buttons links to 3 seperate Agreement menus which all link to the same Main DVD menu. There are 3 button links on the Main DVD menu leading to one other menu and 2 timelines.

...............-----A1-----.......-----Timeline1
Warning-----A2-----Main-----Menu
...............-----A3-----.......-----Timeline2

I had set the Warning as 'first play'. All other links were fine, there were no overrides. In the Preview everything works fine and dandy, but the burned dvd, when played on a Panasonic dvd player, would automatically begin at the Timeline1. When played on my laptop and other computers it begins playing at the Main Menu. I tried removing the offending menu and timeline and burning a copy. Only then did it begin at the 'first play' warning menu.
I scrounged these forums looking for some help but didnt find anything specific to my problems. (I also tried the 5 second black menu, set it as first play, linked it to the warning and it worked fine in preview, but not on DVD)
I attempted to rebuild the DVD in Encore DVD 2.0 (I have heard that it is more stable than CS3). I burned the first copy with just the Menus (no timelines or assets). When I play the DVD on the computer a black screen pops up and then the DVD stops. On the Panasonic DVD player it doesn't even ackowledge the DVD. Yet it all works fine in the preview!!!

SOMEONE, PLEASE HELP!

P.S. I am past due on this project and my boss even can't figure it out!!! He is not very happy!

-Andriya

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Encore2.0 - Previews fine, Disc doesn't work
on Jan 18, 2009 at 5:18:22 pm

What kind of blank media are you using? If it's not high-quality stuff like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, then you need to switch.

Your symptoms suggest bad media and/or bad burns.

Also, try creating a disc image with Encore and using the excellent and unobtrusive freeware program ImgBurn to burn the image to disc.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Andriya Talanczuk
on Jan 18, 2009 at 5:35:19 pm

I was using Verbatim and HP DVDs

The part that grinds my gears is that last month I had burned a successful DVD (HP disk) in EncoreCs3 on the same PC with same settings (same project).
The only difference this time was that I had replaced old MPEG2s (the first of which appear in Timeline1 and Timeline2) with upated ones.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 18, 2009 at 5:50:45 pm

[Andriya Talanczuk] "The only difference this time was that I had replaced old MPEG2s (the first of which appear in Timeline1 and Timeline2) with upated ones."

How did you "replace" them? Did you use the Replace Asset command in Encore and point Encore to new, differently-named files?

Or did you encode the new versions external to Encore and simply overwrite the old versions?

The former method is correct; the latter will almost certainly lead to never-ending errors and headaches.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Andriya Talanczuk
on Jan 18, 2009 at 6:03:44 pm

You I just imported the new videos and replaced the old ones on the timeline with the new ones but kept the same chapter points. I will try to go back to a previous version and replace the assets with the command.
I will let you know how it goes

Return to posts index

Andriya Talanczuk
on Jan 19, 2009 at 12:10:45 am

Well, I was finally able to figure out what the problem was. It wasn't anything on my part or adobe. It was my stupid DVD Player...I took the copies that 'didn't work' and played them on my sisters DVD player and, Voila! It works! I went out and bought a new DVD player for myself and am now problem free!!! It's a shame i didnt figure it out 24hours ago!!!

So the lesson learned is: Test the Burned DVDs on different DVD Players, Computers etc. It might be something as simple as that.

Thanks for the help!

-Andriya

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 19, 2009 at 12:37:27 am

Glad you got it sorted. :-)

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved