FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems after update from encore 2 to encore 4, can´t work older projects

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tania Dorado
Problems after update from encore 2 to encore 4, can´t work older projects
on Jan 15, 2009 at 9:12:38 am

Hi,
I have problems trying to burn an older project (encore 2) on encore 4.
We update the production Suite from version 2 to version 4, since then we have had a lot of problems when trying to open older projects. The projects that were entirely made on version 4 don´t present any problems. But the older projects that were made using version 2 have given us a lot of trouble. We can open them and preview them, but as soon as we try to check the project or to burn it, encores asks if we want of save the changes (I suppose encore recognizes the update and wants to save version 4 of the project) you say yes, and then it crashes when encoding (psd and menu graphics), (the videos have been previously transcoded to mpg2 using squeeze), other times it gets all the way trough with the encoding but crashes while burning. We have also tried making an image disk, and an ISO file but it didn´t work, it keeps on crashing. And we’ve haven#t been able to run a check project without crashing. I hope you can help us find a way of burning successfully a project that was made on a previous version. We cannot rip a DVD that has been previous burned using version 2, because we need to replace some of the assets. This asset replacement takes place on a weekly basis, because we personalize the material by branding the video material with customers' logo each time we sell a copy. We cannot make a new project every time someone buys a copy.
We´ve tried to get in touch with Adobe but we only get the sales people on the line, they tell us to get in touch with the distributer, the distributer just sells and doesn’t give really support... Do you know a concrete address to which we could refer to at Adobe? Adobes Forum addressed us to the manual, but there we couldn't find this error.
We really, really appreciate it if someone could help us find a solution for working with older projects that have been made on a previous version and that need to be updated regularly.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Problems after update from encore 2 to encore 4, can´t work older projects
on Jan 15, 2009 at 11:03:27 am

When you saved the old project in EnCS4, did you do a "Save As..." or did you overwrite the old version?

It wasn't clear from your message.

If you overwrote the old version, you may be forced to rebuild the project in version CS4, unless you have a good backup.

If you did a Save As... then I recommend the following:

1. Open the old project again.
2. Don't make any changes, just do a Save As and rename the project.
3. Exit Encore.
4. Open Encore again and load the renamed project.
5. Go to Edit | Preferences | Media | Media Cache and click the Clean Database button.
6. Make your changes to the project.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Tania Dorado
on Jan 15, 2009 at 3:24:23 pm

We did "save as" and then closed the project, exited encore and opened the renamed project. We have also cleared the media cache (we did that manually) but the crashing hasn't stopped. Another thing that I didn't mention in my previous message was that the incompatibility between versions may be due to the language; up to version 2 you could switch between languages, but in version 4 you couldn't anymore. Our projects that were made using version 2 were mainly done using the English version, but once in a while we used the German version (we’re in Germany), it depended on the user’s preference who was working on the computer. Up to version 2 we didn't encounter any problem with this language switch. But version 4 didn't offer the possibility to switch between languages, so we decided to install the German version. The project that is crashing was done using the English version of encore 2. The language of the encore version 4 in which we are trying to make the changes is a German Version. Does anybody know if the difference of languages may be causing this? As I said up till version 2 we could open and work on projects no matter in what language version they had been made.
Or any idea where the error may lay?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 15, 2009 at 3:32:47 pm

I wish I had a good, simple solution for you, but I don't. There are enough changes between Encore 2.0 and Encore CS4 that some unexpected behaviors are bound to show up when trying to build 2.0 projects in CS4.

I recommend you re-create the 2.0 project from scratch in CS4, and use the new CS4 version going forward.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Tania Dorado
on Jan 15, 2009 at 4:31:49 pm

Thanks Jeff, Yes I think, that rebuilding the project is going to be the quickest solution in this case. But I'm very concerned with our other projects that were made in version 2, and then what happens with the updates? We can’t afford to rebuild all projects every time a new version comes out, nor can desist of updating.
This error doesn't make sense, there has to be a way to work with older projects. After we are done with the rebuilding, we are going to uninstall the German version and install the English version and try that out.

Return to posts index

Mark Susman
on Jan 26, 2009 at 5:03:49 pm

I am having version upgrade issues as well. I am disappointed that Adobe neglected to ensure older projects can open and be edited in Encore CS4.

Mark Susman
FASTCUTFILMS

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 26, 2009 at 5:36:17 pm

What version of Encore were the problem projects created in?

Return to posts index

Mark Susman
on Jan 26, 2009 at 6:05:12 pm

We are using the latest and I believe last build of Encore 2. Build 48678

Mark Susman
FASTCUTFILMS

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 26, 2009 at 10:37:36 pm

I have Encore 2.0 projects, and Encore CS4 is not having a problem with them.

What kind of problem are you seeing?

Return to posts index

Mark Susman
on Jan 27, 2009 at 2:16:19 am

Our 2.0 projects have subtitle tracks. Encore CS4 crashes almost instantly when I click to load a subtitle track. Additionally CS4 crashes when playing the timeline and clicking chapter advance buttons.

Mark Susman
FASTCUTFILMS

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:43:19 am

[Mark Susman] "Additionally CS4 crashes when playing the timeline and clicking chapter advance buttons."

I don't see that at all, although it may have something to do with your subtitles. I don't have any 2.0 projects with subtitles at the moment, so this may be a subtitle-specific problem.

Try this: open your Encore 2.0 project in Encore CS4, then do a SaveAs on the project and save it with a new name. Does it still crash? Make sure you are working with the CS4 file now. f you delete the subtitle tracks in this project, save in Encore, and then add a subtitle track?

Return to posts index

Tania Dorado
on Jan 27, 2009 at 2:11:23 pm

We finally had to downgrade to version 2 , there was no way of getting at the projects again. Without rebuilding them entirely. This problem is not only happening in encore, the upgrade incompatibility refers to the entire suite.
If you are in a hurry downgrade to version to 2 and make sure you check the language. Because that was also an issue up to version 2, you could with languages, so make sure that you are using the same languague that the original project was in.
In February an adobe certified instructor is comming to have a look at the problem. I´ll let you know if there is a way of working with older project without downgrading or rebuilding the projects every time there is an update.

Return to posts index

Mark Susman
on Jan 27, 2009 at 2:20:31 pm

Yes, I have tried "save as" in CS4 without success. I have tried to delete the subtitle tracks. The problem is CS4 crashes when I even so much as select a subtitle track. It crashes before I can delete.

Mark Susman
FASTCUTFILMS

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 27, 2009 at 3:37:49 pm

If you want to continue working with your project in Encore CS4, then perhaps you'll also want to try SaveAs in Encore 2.0, delete the subtitle tracks, and then open this project in Encore CS4 and see if you can work with it.

Or you can take the advice of the other poster seeing this problem and stick with 2.0 for your legacy projects, and then do your new ones in CS4?

Return to posts index

Mark Susman
on Jan 27, 2009 at 4:05:42 pm

I do not mind keeping Encore 2.0 on standby for legacy projects. The gotcha is I would like to export the subtitle tracks to use in other applications. I truly admonish Adobe for this bug.

Mark Susman
FASTCUTFILMS

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 27, 2009 at 6:48:34 pm

[Mark Susman] "I truly admonish Adobe for this bug. "

It would be more effective to call Adobe Tech Support and report the problems you're having. Barring a call, even a bug report on their support website would do more good than any admonishing, cursing, or casting of hexes might do here. :)

Encore CS4 can export subtitle tracks, so future projects are probably best started there.

Return to posts index

Mark Susman
on Jan 27, 2009 at 6:52:11 pm

Good point. I will contact tech support today.

Mark Susman
FASTCUTFILMS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]