FORUMS: list search recent posts

Max Standard Definition Video Blu-Ray?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David O'Leary
Max Standard Definition Video Blu-Ray?
on Jan 3, 2009 at 2:54:15 am

I'm trying to familiarize myself with Encore, but I am left with a couple of questions. One of them is I was under the impression one could easily fit up to 23 hours of standard definition video on a blu-ray disc. Using a 25 gig disc, I would assume it is conceivable that a little over 11 hours standard definition (720X480 NTSC) video should fit onto a blank BD-R. I was wanting to take some old video of my father's and archive them if will, onto a couple of BD-R's. I have attempted to put 8 hours worth of standard video onto a blu-ray, using Encore, only to discover a message that states "project exceeds disc capacity". I have edited down to six hours, and I am still receiving the same error message. I am using settings of NTSC MPEG-2, 720x480, 4.3 aspect ratio. I have attempted to use auto settings, as well as a quality preset of MPEG SD 720x480. Each time i end up with a project size of just of 25 gigs.

My question is simply this..what settings would I use to fit this type of project onto a single disc, if it is even possible? Thanx a million.

Return to posts index

Heath Firestone
Re: Max Standard Definition Video Blu-Ray?
on Jan 3, 2009 at 5:06:05 am

You need to focus on data rates. If you encode at 7Mbps, one hour of video will take up a little over 3GB of space. But remember, the numbers for amount of space depends on how they do the math. If you've ever noticed, a 100GB drive usually comes up around 93.28GB when formatted. This is because the manufacturers consider 1 GB to be a billion bytes, whereas the computer divides by 1024, not 1000. Based on conversion from kilobyte to megabyte, to gigabyte, the difference of 1000 verses 1024, makes up for the difference. That being said, a 25GB BD-R only holds 23.32GB of data. If you are using variable encoding, at times, it may take up more than your target data rate. That being said, you should have been able to fit six hours of footage on a 25GB BD-R, even with variable encoding and any additional menu overhead. The automatic settings when you choose Blu-Ray are set at 15Mbps for some odd reason, so under your transcode for the clips you are adding, choose something like the 7Mbps data rate, and it should work for you. DVD's are limited to 8Mbps data rate, but Blu-Ray does not have the same limitation.

Try these settings and see if it makes any difference.

I hope this helps,

Heath

Return to posts index

Zvi Twersky
on Feb 10, 2010 at 12:30:25 am

On the same issue, I was told that you can fit 2 hours of full HD (1920x1080) on a 25GB bluray disk at its full res of 35Mbps. When I try to input these settings into Adobe Encore with a video of 1 hour and 58 minutes, it says that it will need 33.9 GB for those settings and won't burn it. When I tried (just out of curiosity) to set the transcode setting to automatic, it said there is now 10.5 GB of FREE SPACE. I'm afraid that the automatic setting is reducing the quality a lot so I didn't burn yet.

What are the best settings to get the most out of the HD quality and use as much of the 25GB as possible?

Return to posts index

Arthur Zepeda
on Nov 25, 2011 at 3:56:52 am

How about captured VHS video at about 4Mb per hour? Would that equate to about ten hours which I have read about? Is there a calculator somewhere we can use to calculate all of this?

Thank you!

Art
artsvdo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]