FORUMS: list search recent posts

motion menu subpicture highlights issue

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curtis Heyne
motion menu subpicture highlights issue
on Jan 1, 2009 at 9:31:17 pm

This is a question about subpicture highlights and how to control the clickable space of a button. I have a pretty extensive background in DVD Studio Pro and now I'm creating Blu-Ray DVD's and am having an issue with buttons in Encore CS4. I've created a motion background, I have the menu all set up and now I need to add the menu overlays (subpicture highlights). It seems that whenever you don't have text in your button that the size of the button is confined to the subpicture highlight size. Is there a workaround for this? I would like to make the size of the button to accompany the size of my text which lives in the movie which is set to the background. Is this the right procedure? It should be said that my motion background was created in Motion and that is the reason for no AE support.

Ok, so if there is no workaround for increasing the size of the button without text, (my subpicture highlight is a simple underline) I get an error on build saying my subpicture is not the minimum 8px tall. Which is funny because I ripped apart an Encore button preset to get the underline. Any help/advise is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: motion menu subpicture highlights issue
on Jan 1, 2009 at 11:09:13 pm

The hit area of a button is the smallest rectangle that can fit around all the layers in the button layer set.

So if you want to enlarge it, you need to scale or reposition what's already in the button layer set, or add more layers with pixels in different positions. And vice-versa if you want the button hit area to be smaller.

Return to posts index

Curtis Heyne
on Jan 2, 2009 at 12:22:25 am

So it sounds like I would have to add something to the button layer set and make it invisible to achieve a larger selection area.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 2, 2009 at 1:25:12 am

Maybe not. As I recall, pixels must be visible for this to work.

That said, opacity could be 1 and I believe that would work.

Return to posts index

Curtis Heyne
on Jan 2, 2009 at 5:09:08 pm

What's the procedure for creating a subpicture highlight for a motion menu. From what I understand, the layer set would look something like this:
(+) button name
(=) highlight (in my case, an underline)
But when you do it this way, the selection area is confined to the highlight area. For set top play back, not a big deal; but for computers, this would be a challenge.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 2, 2009 at 7:28:38 pm

[Curtis Heyne] "What's the procedure for creating a subpicture highlight for a motion menu."

It's the same as creating a subpicture for a static menu.

(+) button (this is a layer set)
(=) (this is a layer within the layer set)

Add more layers to your layer set to increase the hit area rectangle.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jan 4, 2009 at 7:55:26 pm

Its very simple actually.

You create your button selection box in photoshop with a highlight layer and make it invisible in encore. So, you have:

(+) Button Group
(=1) Highlight Layer
(=2) Button Selection Layer

Your button selection layer will be a solid color (any) which covers the area you want your button. In Encore, go into the 'edit menu color set' and change the opacity of 'highlight group 1' 2: to 0% for selected and activated state.

Let me know if you get lost anywhere

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Leigh Miller
on Jan 18, 2015 at 12:40:47 pm

this is an old thread but similar to something I'm working on now. how would I make that Button Selection smaller than the actual graphic. As i want the button area to be one part, but still 'popup' a larger graphic when it's selected.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]