FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-ray on DVD+R

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chip Maynard
Blu-ray on DVD+R
on Dec 30, 2008 at 10:31:25 pm

Has anyone had any luck using Encore CS3 to burn Blu-Ray content onto DVD+R or DVD-R media?

I'm using a MBP with the stock superdrive. I've created an Blu-ray ISO in Encore and am trying to burn the image with the OS X Disk Utility.

The burn completes, but doesn't playback in BD player. I'm thinking my efforts with Disk Utility may be futile.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Blu-ray on DVD+R
on Dec 31, 2008 at 4:46:29 am

It needs to be burned as UDF 2.5 - use Toast instead. also not every player player DVD-Rs. Which player do you have?

Return to posts index

Chip Maynard
on Dec 31, 2008 at 5:49:14 am

I thought I read that somewhere but was having trouble confirming. Thanks for the tip.

The Blu-ray ISO doesn't need to be created any particular way to make it UDF 2.5 does it? Or is that just the way it's burned?

My player is a cheap Memorex model that will read DVD+R discs when formatted as DVD. I was hoping to build some short HD Blu-ray discs without taking out a second mortgage for blank BD media while I'm learning. I've got a stack of blank DVD+Rs waiting to be sacrificed.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
John Rich
on Dec 31, 2008 at 4:19:06 pm

Several folks have worked this out using Windows machines, creating a BluRay folder with Encore and then burning the folder to a DVD with ImgBurn.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/145/862674

http://www.dvinfo.net//conf/showthread.php?t=124190

I don't know if you can do it on a Mac or not, but you should be able to burn a folder to a regular dVD.
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Chip Maynard
on Dec 31, 2008 at 5:25:13 pm

ImgBurn is the program I was looking for, thanks for reminding me. It works perfectly.

HOWEVER, it still isn't creating a viewable disc in my Memorex BD player.

What I get is a verified burn, that when dropped into the player, cycles around, then engages play mode and the counter sits at 00:00. No picture, no audio, and no error message. The controls on the player are very unresponsive in general, so I can't tell if it locks up at that point, or if that's the way it normally behaves. It plays proper BDs from Netflix fine, and even proper DVDs, just not this BD on DVD that I'm trying to create.

There are so many factors that could be the problem, let me just post a few and see if any stand out as being an obvious deal-breaker.

1. Burning the ISO with a stock MacBook Pro Superdrive (not a Blu-ray burner).
2. Burning with ImgBurn by running Windows XP inside Parallels
3. Burning to Verbatim DVD+R media
4. BD player is a Memorex MVBD2510 C

The ISO is created in Encore and I'm pretty sure it's OK, but really have no way to verify.

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Dec 31, 2008 at 5:57:50 pm

I really know nothing about the interactions between Mac's and Xp, etc.
I will say that I burned the bluray folder to a regular dvd (actually +R since I had a lot of them lying around) using a regular dvd burner and not a blu ray burner and burned with ImgBurn.
These played on a Sony bluray player (see the link below). I also burned the folder to a BD-RE disk using a bluray burner and it played.

For what it's worth, I don't recall seeing a Memorex player at the best Buy where I played these so I wonder if it's "as good as" the Sony or Samsung.
One thing that came up with the Sony players was that they sometime required a firmware update to make them recognize the disks, so it's possible Memorex has a firmware update which might help you there.

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29665

Otherwise, I'd take one of the disks you made which won't play on the Memorex down to Best Buy and see if it will play on one of their Sony BluRay players. Just a thought.
It would be interesting to see how this works out for you.
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Chip Maynard
on Dec 31, 2008 at 6:15:03 pm

Memorex does have firmware updates on their site. The one up there now just seems to be a DRM thing, but there's another one coming on Jan 5. I'll try updating then and trying the discs again. In the meantime, I guess I'm headed off to Best Buy...

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]