FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sides cut when played on a standalone DVD-player

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan Tillman
Sides cut when played on a standalone DVD-player
on Dec 29, 2008 at 12:52:05 am

Hi, this issue is driving me crazy and I'm in a bit of hurry since I have a premiere on saturday when the movie needs to be ready.

Here's the deal:
I've done movies in the past and all that but now for my last project i tried to make a widescreen movie. All is filmed in PAL DV and edited in a "D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.422)"-project, also encoded to the same preferences that would be MPEG2-DVD, PAL, 720x576 with further set to 16:9 Widescreen (1.422).

I then use Adobe Encore (I've tried DVD-Lab with the exact same results) to author the DVD with widescreen menus and all such, and ofcourse everything in PAL.

The video files are accepted, no issues is reported while checking for errors etc. The DVD is created, and exported directly to a DVD with compatibility set to set-top DVD players and the DVD-menu is set to be 16:9, and to override the DVD-player to use letterbox etc.

Everything is just fine when playing the DVD on a computer, let's say in VLC or WMP, full widescreen menu appears and the movie plays nice in full widescreen on my computer.

But when I try to play it in standalone DVD-players it just crops the image on the sides, and maybe on the top also I'm not quite sure! But the thing with the sides is very apparent and disturbing. If I choose to rezize the image with the TV-remote I also can see that the image is cropped by the DVD-player and not just the TV.

I've tested various DVD-players with the same results.

I know everything about title safe are and such but that's not what's bothering me, the thing is the annoyance of the cropping that appears since it's not just a "few pixels", but rather like ~40 on each side or something like that. And where did the letterbox option go when I told the DVD to override any DVD-player settings and use letterboxes? And also why does it play just fine on my computer and not in a real DVD-player?

Johan Tillman
Amateur producer, editor, director.
SWEDEN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]