FORUMS: list search recent posts

antialiased subtitles

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergio Barrozo
antialiased subtitles
on Dec 23, 2008 at 12:40:03 am

I have created subtitles in a utility called Belle Nuit Subtitler, that exports them as tiff files with alpha. I exported a FAB text file, and then I imported the this FAB file and the subtitles to Encore.
When I play the timeline, the subtitles play with black background and the characters are not antialiased, they appear terrible.
How can I get antialiased subtitles with Encore DVD?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: antialiased subtitles
on Dec 23, 2008 at 2:27:21 am

Any claims of "anti-aliasing" in the DVD-Video format is a bit of an exaggeration, compared to what one expects of anti-aliasing of text or vectors in other computer graphics applications. In DVD-Video, subtitles exist in a 2 bit graphical overlay. With only 2 bits, there's not a lot of anti-aliasing that can be done. You basically get color and opacity plus overall transparency in this graphical layer.

You'll never see anti-aliasing like you would from anti-aliased text in Photoshop, After Effects, or Premiere.

Can you post a screenshot of how your subtitles look? I could tell you whether they looked worse than normal, and perhaps make some corrective recommendations from there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]