FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timeline crash-up! Argh!

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alyssa Barber
Timeline crash-up! Argh!
on Dec 19, 2008 at 12:02:15 am

Hi everyone,

I needed to author a DVD and a friend of mine agreed to help me do it. He downloaded the trial version of Encore (most recent version), and created a project file. The resulting ISO file looked OK, but whenever I tried to open the project file on my (purchased) version of Encore, it would always crash--no error messages, no freezes--the program would just immediately shut off after I gave it the asset locations. I called up Adobe tech and they said it was probably the project file, because I had successfully created a new test project and saved. Seemed logical, so I decided just to have him re-save the project, and in the meantime, I'd noodle around with the program to learn more. I opened the essentially blank project file I had created (no assets), and began importing a few things to see what I could do with them. Everything went OK until I asked the program to create a new timeline. And then it crashed, same way as before--no error message or anything, just immediate program shut-down. I tried it a few times just to be sure, but the crash was consistent. I figure my friend's project file wasn't corrupted: that Encore just crashed when the timeline from it was loading, just like it did on me when I created a new timeline.

As for authoring, my friend is using ManDVD (the manly authoring program!) now just for my stuff, but if I'm ever going to get to learn and use Encore, I need to know what's wrong. I can see from other forums and posts, and from my friend's experience, that crashing is pretty common, but how do you solve a problem where the cause of the crash seems to be something so basic? Anyone out there who's familiar with this problem? I'm almost ready to go to DVDLab for future.
Sincerely,
Alyssa

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Timeline crash-up! Argh!
on Dec 19, 2008 at 1:58:46 am

[Alyssa Barber] "...crashing is pretty common"

Well, not really. Personally, I rarely (if ever) see crashing in Encore.

That aside, there may be a problem with your workspace. You didn't mention which version of Encore you are using, but quit Encore and do a search for ProjectWorkspace.xml and delete it.

Relaunch Encore, and then see if you still have the problem.

Return to posts index

Alyssa Barber
on Dec 19, 2008 at 3:24:51 am

Hey,
Thanks, Joe. I'm using version CS4. I did just what you said, got rid of the .xml file, and when I tried Encore again (creating a Timeline in a totally new project file), I got to actually see what the timeline looked like this time before it crashed, same way--just a total immediate shut-off. I wonder... Premiere crashed on me until I updated Quicktime to the most recent version. Is there a program I should be updating for Encore that I don't know about (I did update Java, if that helps)? Again, my plea--has anyone ever had this type of problem, and if so, what did you do?
Sincerely,
Alyssa

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Dec 19, 2008 at 4:20:05 am

Did you delete all ProjectWorkspace.xml files? (there should be at least two - one in the project folder, and the other in your user folder)

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Dec 19, 2008 at 4:22:50 am

As an extra measure, also try deleting ProjectPrefs2.xml.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 29, 2009 at 4:19:01 am

Did you ever find the answer to this problem?

I'm having the same issue..

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Alyssa Barber
on Jan 29, 2009 at 7:13:48 pm

Hi, Tim,

Yes, I found a solution, but not before having to do some searching. Apparently, there's some annoying features of Encore that you have to read the fine print of the Sys. Req. on the box to really understand. One of those was about the video card or the processor on the computer--something like SSDE enabled (I don't have the box right in front of me, but it says something close to that). In searching a few older forums, I find out that before a certain date, the Athlons, one of which I have, were not compatible and to this day at least one model is still known to have a few issues. But, my Athlon made the cut-off date, so it was enabled, but still a problem. What to do? Just update the driver. It was a hardware issue all around--I was trying to run super-new software on hardware that hadn't been updated since 2005. If you're really into updates after you get started, there's lots of programs online that will tell you which drivers are out of date, and download the updates for you (saving the old ones in case of an error). There's also a lot of registry repair software, too, if your machine seems a bit sluggish. Just be sure to get a reputable one if you go that route.

Not to be off-topic, but since we're on the subject of hardware, what's the best way you've found of archiving data before removing it from the hard drive? An external drive, or DVD? And don't DVD's also degrade over time?
Sincerely,
Alyssa

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 29, 2009 at 7:49:33 pm

For me it ended up being simply updating my NVIDIA drivers..done. Almost embarrassingly simple.

I archive to drives typically...I work in HD and 2K most often and a DVD doesn't hold much.

DVDs don't "degrade" as such, but over time, they could delaminate (the layers come apart), but we're talking about 10-40 years lifespan depending on what brand, how they're stored, and whose opinion you buy into...

Drives aren't the ultimate insurance policy either...you spin it up and put it on the shelf for 5 years...nothing says it will spin up every time either.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]