FORUMS: list search recent posts

Masked 16:9 show to 1.85, blacks in mask gray on 4:3 monitor

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Dieck
Masked 16:9 show to 1.85, blacks in mask gray on 4:3 monitor
on Dec 16, 2008 at 6:33:46 am

I have a short that I just output to DVD. The sequence is 16:9 with a 1.85 mask over it for a wider aspect. The blacks all register correctly on the waveform (within media composer). Rendered the MPEG-2 in Sorenson (4.5) as widescreen 16:9 and burnt using Encore (CS3). I also tried letting Encore do the Encode off of a HD Quicktime Ref (Avid DV Codec and 601/701 colors). It displays correctly on a a widescreen TV with the mask I applied. On a 4:3 TV it resizes correctly preserving the aspect ratio, however, the blacks of the mask I added appear gray in comparison to the letterbox that the DVD player is adding around the MPEG-2. Basically it appears as if there is deep black (DVD player letterbox), then dark gray (the 1.85 mask). I don't know of a way of making the mask darker, its already full black. I know it can be done, any widescreen DVD you buy can play correctly on 4:3 and 16:9 monitors with out this black banding in the mask rega rdless of how thin the aspect may be in comparison to 16:9. Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Here's a picture of my issue:

Brian Dieck

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Masked 16:9 show to 1.85, blacks in mask gray on 4:3 monitor
on Dec 16, 2008 at 11:57:17 am

Once a DVD-legal MPEG-2 stream is brought into Encore, the only thing Encore does is mux it with the audio into a VOB file at build time before writing it to disc - in other words, the color space of the video is untouched.

The problem lies either with the color space in your NLE or your MPEG-2 encoder.

Return to posts index

Brian Dieck
on Dec 16, 2008 at 6:59:49 pm

The levels are spot on in the waveform in Media Composer. And I have been rendering off of a QT reference files with the correct color space. Is there a way in Encore to crop the 16:9 source to 1.35 so it doesn't have to have my mask on it yet still display correctly? It seems as if the black the DVD players are adding as a letterbox are below legal black levels. Almost as if it's not sending signal to those areas.

Here is the video in Avid with the corresponding waveform:

Brian Dieck

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 16, 2008 at 7:05:48 pm

The deepest black in your waveform doesn't go to 0 IRE. That leads me to believe you've added setup somewhere along the way. Don't do that.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Brian Dieck
on Dec 16, 2008 at 7:26:22 pm

The original video was pretty low, so there's some heave color correction on it. But you can see that the mask levels are indeed at 0 IRE so why are the levels different in the DVD player created letterbox.

Brian Dieck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]