FORUMS: list search recent posts

ENCORE shrinks my Files?!?!?!

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Liguori
ENCORE shrinks my Files?!?!?!
on Dec 12, 2008 at 3:28:29 pm

okay so i was trying to put a 7+ gb file onto a blu-ray disc but the size of the timeline compresses it to 700mb so i figured id try with a bigger file that it could shrink so i used a 52 gb but that was shrunk to 1.09 gbs...what can i do?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: ENCORE shrinks my Files?!?!?!
on Dec 12, 2008 at 3:47:53 pm

Of course it shrinks it. Thats a good thing. :) How would you expect to get a 52G file onto a disc? Video files on BD disc are compressed from an original source.

Return to posts index

Jon Liguori
on Dec 12, 2008 at 3:49:15 pm

but it shrinks the 7 gb (which shouldnt need any on a 25 gb disc) to 700 mb and the 52 to just above 1 gb

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Dec 12, 2008 at 4:00:03 pm

BD is MPEG2,H.264 and/or VC-1 only. Encode will compress based on the length of your source, not file size. How long is each source file? and what compression settings have you chosen? Based on your specs, it sounds just fine.

Return to posts index

Jon Liguori
on Dec 12, 2008 at 5:31:57 pm

only 7 mins 14 secs, i just wanted the highest possible quality of my short

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Dec 12, 2008 at 5:58:00 pm

So how does it look when played back? :)

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Dec 14, 2008 at 3:16:55 am

Jon,

The deal with authored DVDs is that they aren't format agnostic. you can't put whatever video format into an authored DVD like you can just burn a data DVD and store something. A set top DVD player (Blu Ray or standard) won't play it back.

As Eric mentions, there are specific formats that have to be used, and in the case of MPEG2 for instance, not even every combination of settings under MPEG2 is considered in-spec for DVD-Video or BluRay playback.

So...an uncompressed clip (as an example) HAS to get smaller as a DVD player simply won't recognize it...and MPEG2 at it's beefiest DVD-usable setting is quite a bit smaller than anything you'd use for production.

So, yes...shrinking...compression really...is correct and necessary.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]